Law School Discussion

# OF ADMITTED STUDENTS

# OF ADMITTED STUDENTS
« on: May 09, 2005, 09:24:41 PM »
do skools admit more than their class size the first round of admissions or just as many as spaces they have

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: # OF ADMITTED STUDENTS
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 09:46:54 PM »
during the regular rounds of admissions (i.e. before the waitlist), most schools admit way more applicants than they actually have spaces for.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 11:07:26 PM »
yep. The percentage depends on the school, but they all accept more people than they can take. For instance, Yale may admit 200 students, expecting a few people to decline. USC may accept 1000 people, expecting most to decline.

Admissions offices look at past years to predict how many people will accept; typically they are correct/close enough, slightly under their target class size, allowing a few people on the wait list to enroll. Sometimes they screw up and over-enroll, which happpened to a few schools a couple of years ago.

InVinoVeritas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 11:08:47 PM »
Sometimes they screw up and over-enroll, which happpened to a few schools a couple of years ago.

....and is apparently happening at Yale this year...

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 11:10:42 PM »
95% yield, I hear?

InVinoVeritas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 11:12:00 PM »
so they say....

a few years ago, penn had a similar problem and their class size went from aroudn 240 to closer to 320.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 11:13:29 PM »
I heard about that. Current 3L's, I think. I believe that NW had a similar problem, but maybe I am thinking of somewhere else.

InVinoVeritas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 11:15:19 PM »
yep.  current 3Ls.

Wolfie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 01:36:00 AM »
What if schools have already gone to their waitlist? Does that mean that they are indeed under-enrolled? Or rather schools are expecting more accepts and WL accepts to withdraw and so they're simply simply bumping up the number of accepts in an effort to get closer to their target numbers rather than filling up spots with WL (since I believe most school's second deposit isn't due yet)?

InVinoVeritas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 07:37:30 AM »
if schools are going to their waitlists, then i think it's fair to assume their initial yield is lower than they expected.  by the time schools start accepting waitlisted candidates, most schools are probably expecting most of those acceptees to enroll (hence the phone calls that are often made to gauge the candidate's interest).