Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My postgraduation BigLaw budget  (Read 8513 times)

ormachea

Re: My postgraduation BigLaw budget
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2005, 03:59:26 PM »
Ha. If I'm slaving away at BIgLaw, I want to spend my hour a day sitting in traffic in a semi-sporty car.  :P

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2005, 04:00:56 PM »
burgh, are you taking your car to NU? We've decided to keep ours.

I am undecided.  I am driving to Chicago June 1 to spend a week looking for apartments.  I'll be staying in a hotel in the northern burbs, so I should get a good feel for what it's like commuting around Chicagoland on wheels.  It all depends what kind of place I find - if I can live within El train/walking distance of campus for less than $700/month then I won't need my car.  Otherwise, I'll have to bring it.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2005, 04:02:56 PM »
Ha. If I'm slaving away at BIgLaw, I want to spend my hour a day sitting in traffic in a semi-sporty car.  :P

Hey!  Are you suggesting my bad-ass 2.4L twin overhead cam 155 horsepower Cavalier LS sedan is NOT sporty??? >:(  It even has power windows!  And cruise control!  And a blue pin stripe down the side.

ormachea

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2005, 04:07:12 PM »

Hey!  Are you suggesting my bad-ass 2.4L twin overhead cam 155 horsepower Cavalier LS sedan is NOT sporty??? >:(  It even has power windows!  And cruise control!  And a blue pin stripe down the side.

I was going to say no... but then you mentioned the blue pin stripe.  ;D ;D ;D

ormachea

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2005, 04:08:54 PM »

And a radio- AM and FM!

Oh snap! One of those new fangled radio doohickeys!  ;)

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2005, 04:09:29 PM »

And a radio- AM and FM!

"Hey! Don't patronize me, whatever that means!"
-Victoria Jackson

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2005, 04:30:29 PM »

I was going to say no... but then you mentioned the blue pin stripe.  ;D ;D ;D

I was about to say...it's the blue pin stripe that made the description of the car art.

walty

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2005, 12:16:24 AM »
Wildcat: Do people really donate 10% of their salary to their churches?

When you factor in how much you, as a well-compensated lawyer, pay in taxes, and what percentage of your taxes help people in some way (i.e., food stamps, welfare, giving veterans a discount on college education, medicare, medicaid, HeadStart, bolstering social security, etc., etc., etc.), you're already doing more civic good than somebody who makes $40,000 and really does donate 10% in addition to paying taxes. As such, I'd argue it's unnecessary; you're already more than doing your part.

Its all in perpsective. I guess I view it as ability to give. There is decreasing marginal utility of income. If you're pulling down $125k and you pay 12.5k to a church, you're still going to have plenty to get by. On the other hand if you're only pulling down 40k and give up 4k that's a tougher thing to do.
3.5/173
In: GMU(declned), BYU(declined), Notre Dame(22K Deposit down), UVa(off wait list)
Out: Stanford, Harvard
WL: Columbia, USC, UCLA, GULC, NYU, Chicago

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2005, 12:00:28 PM »
Here's a question- I just graduated this past December from undergrad and I have about 15k in Stafford loans. Should I consolidate them now or just defer them until I graduate from law school. Also, if I consolidate them now, does anyone know if it's possible to then defer payments until I graduate?

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Citizen
  • We should all do our part...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2005, 03:52:11 PM »
Here's a question- I just graduated this past December from undergrad and I have about 15k in Stafford loans. Should I consolidate them now or just defer them until I graduate from law school. Also, if I consolidate them now, does anyone know if it's possible to then defer payments until I graduate?

You should consolidate. Interest rates may never be this low again, and you will still be able to defer while in school. In fact, rates are so low that many schools are recommending that graduating seniors enter repayment early so that they can consolidate prior to the anticipated rate hike this summer.