Law School Discussion

WLd at Cornell

Re: WLd at Cornell
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 01:36:41 PM »
I guess here's my big dilemma:

What if I don't really want to go to Vandy?  I visited all 4 schools and I liked Vanderbilt the least.  I mean, it was still a great place but Nashville didn't really do it for me.

So is my post-law school success going to suffer so much at one of the other choices that I should choose Vandy just cause it's ranked a little higher?  It's only 5 spots better than the other 3 schools.

I don't know.....I'm just sounding off and it's late.  Ignore my ramblings......sigh.

I appreciate all the input, though, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Andrea
I felt the same way you did about Vandy and am turning them down with an $8/k scholarship to attend Emory. I visited Vandy, Emory, and GW and liked Emory/Atlanta way more than Vanderbilt/Nashville and GW/D.C. Referring to the rankings is a part of the decision, but I believe you must go to the place you KNOW you will be happy at. A happy student will do better than an unhappy student  :)  I believe these 3 schools are thought of in the same catergory, and that I can go to any of them and get the job I want.

Andie203

• LSAT 167 GPA 3.71
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 01:48:11 PM »
Thanks for the nice words, Futurelawyer.  I agree that I will be successful at the place where I am the happiest.

I think my decision is going to come down to Iowa and Notre Dame, which will be really hard.

Andrea

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 01:50:10 PM »
if the money isn't close b/w Iowa and Notre Dame....I'd heavily lean toward Iowa

Andie203

• LSAT 167 GPA 3.71
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 02:10:31 PM »
Why would you lean toward Iowa, if you don't mind my asking?  And the money is weird, because ND offered me more but I pay instate at Iowa, so I've got $22,500/yr at ND and full tuition at Iowa.

Andrea

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 03:27:16 PM »
if the money isn't close b/w Iowa and Notre Dame....I'd heavily lean toward Iowa
Why would you lean toward Iowa, if you don't mind my asking? And the money is weird, because ND offered me more but I pay instate at Iowa, so I've got $22,500/yr at ND and full tuition at Iowa.

Andrea

I agree that Iowa is the heavy favorite with the money issue.  If I had your option between Iowa and ND, I would pick Iowa.  I think that the rankings will NOT matter (although Iowa is slightly higher).In addition, the fact you know Iowa so well is to your favor.  Iowa places well in Chicago, St. Louis and any other major Midwest city.  Iowa is a little older and typically has a larger class.  This translates into a larger alumni network across the country.  That network is important for finding the "right" fit for you.  I am not sure what type of law you are interested in but Iowa has a great program for all different types and the faculty are among the best (not to say ND doesn't have some good ones).  Also, the fact that you will have no financial problems coming out of Iowa is  great. 

Notre Dame is a good school, it is very conservative and traditional.  I am not sure how your politics will play into this issue.  It is just something to think about. 

Iowa sports have been much more fun to watch lately.   ND football has not been great at all!

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 03:31:38 PM »
Why would you lean toward Iowa, if you don't mind my asking?  And the money is weird, because ND offered me more but I pay instate at Iowa, so I've got $22,500/yr at ND and full tuition at Iowa.

Andrea

I realize that some people think that Iowa's name isn't quite as nationally known, but it is ranked higher in reputation as well as in the legal field.  And considering you got a full ride there, which is a huge deal, I would take that offer If I were you.  You would be saving a lot of money, regardless of getting 22.5k/yr at ND.  Iowa's got the slight edge considering the factors you've listed.

I would probably say:

Vandy
Iowa
ND
Wash/Lee

The Truth

• Running the Race Figuratively (MS pic sample)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 10:57:15 AM »
Those of you on the Cornell waitlist should call them and tell them not to send 2nd deposit notices to those that never turned in a 1st deposit or intent to enroll ;D

They are stalking me  ;)

I got admitted after forever and a day on like April 14th with a deposit due by the 15th. So I did not answer them at all, assuming that they would get the automatic message.

But low and behold, the 2nd deposit notice came today.

jblawguy

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 05:53:28 AM »
Yeah, it doesn't seem like any reserve folks have heard anything at all. I do not know if this should worry me because that means that they might only need few if any more people or if I should be happy because it means that they have not passed me over yet.

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 10:14:16 PM »
I agree.  They don't hae WL yet.  They have a reserve list and from my understanding they will accept some and then WL some around early June?? So it goes something like

reserve
                                 /   |   \
                        accept  |   reject
                                  waitlist
                                   /    \
                            accept   reject

Correct me if I am wrong but that is the picture that I am getting.

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 04:44:29 AM »
There is still an opportunity to be rejected!

At this point, I'm almost thankful for my rejections. I'd rather be rejected outright than languish for months on the WL with no real shot at admission.