Law School Discussion

Canadian Student Applying to US

Canadian Student Applying to US
« on: May 09, 2005, 01:10:06 PM »
This is probably a horribly naive question, but how do American schools look upon applicants who got their BAs in Canada?
M.

_____

• View Profile
Re: Canadian Student Applying to US
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 06:25:44 PM »
(1) Yes, your GPA would go up for LSAC purposes because they DO count A+s as 4.3.  So you'd probably do pretty well.

(2) I think you'd do pretty well in the admission process, given your numbers, but keep in mind that you will be considered an international applicant. 

This means that, in addition to being accepted to a law school, you will have to demonstrate sufficient funds for cost of living and attendance (among other things) in order to have your student visa approved.  (You can apply for the student visa only AFTER you have been accepted to and have committed to attending a particular school.)

In terms of probability of getting into any particular school, check out their website and see how many international applicants they accept, etc.  That should give you a good idea.

Meanwhile, this other post may be useful... ("loans for foreigners, gpa" in "Law School Applications")

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?topic=32237.msg524749;topicseen#msg524749

Re: Canadian Student Applying to US
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 07:45:22 PM »
(1) Yes, your GPA would go up for LSAC purposes because they DO count A+s as 4.3.  So you'd probably do pretty well.

(2) I think you'd do pretty well in the admission process, given your numbers, but keep in mind that you will be considered an international applicant. 

This means that, in addition to being accepted to a law school, you will have to demonstrate sufficient funds for cost of living and attendance (among other things) in order to have your student visa approved.  (You can apply for the student visa only AFTER you have been accepted to and have committed to attending a particular school.)

In terms of probability of getting into any particular school, check out their website and see how many international applicants they accept, etc.  That should give you a good idea.

Meanwhile, this other post may be useful... ("loans for foreigners, gpa" in "Law School Applications")

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?topic=32237.msg524749;topicseen#msg524749

Thanks so much for the information. I'm actually doing an MA in New York so I've become a veteran of dealing with Homeland Security's many requirements.