Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The PLS II Study Method, who is doing it?  (Read 1229 times)

lawman2005

• View Profile
The PLS II Study Method, who is doing it?
« on: May 09, 2005, 01:20:49 PM »
Can someone explain what the study program is in a nutshell.  I have bought the book but before I conquer all of those pages, I want to know what it is all about and if it is worth my time.
160/3.67
attending: ASU

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The PLS II Study Method, who is doing it?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 01:39:06 PM »
Uhh....you should look through the first few pages.  I guess it blatently says somthing to the effect of, "IF YOU DON"T HAVE TIME TO READ ALL THIS, GO TO CHAPTER __ FOR STUDY PLAN"

HTH

alphalyrae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 06:54:48 PM »
"In a nutshell" Atticus reccommends working through the Aspen E&E Primers, plus two books on the UCC articles 1&2, and a couple of other books, and to do LEEWS.

The main thrust of the book is that you need to educate yourself about the law BEFORE you get to law school, because your professors are not going to, and what they are going to do is load you down with so much busy work (which has nothing to do with the final exam or your grades) that you will not have time to learn the law once you get there (but will be expected to know it if you want to do well on the exam).

Much of the book is about how the law school system is fundamentally flawed, and no one with the power to change it has any motivation to do so. His theories seem well founded, but you may or may not feel your time is well spent reading through the hundreds of pages he devotes to making his point.

3.81/172
In: Harvard, Boalt, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Stanford
Rejected: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alphalyrae

tacc731

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 08:12:13 PM »
"In a nutshell" Atticus reccommends working through the Aspen E&E Primers, plus two books on the UCC articles 1&2, and a couple of other books, and to do LEEWS.

The main thrust of the book is that you need to educate yourself about the law BEFORE you get to law school, because your professors are not going to, and what they are going to do is load you down with so much busy work (which has nothing to do with the final exam or your grades) that you will not have time to learn the law once you get there (but will be expected to know it if you want to do well on the exam).

Much of the book is about how the law school system is fundamentally flawed, and no one with the power to change it has any motivation to do so. His theories seem well founded, but you may or may not feel your time is well spent reading through the hundreds of pages he devotes to making his point.
That's a perfect summary.  But as the other poster pointed out you can go to the first couple of pages and he tells you what to do.  Basically you should just go to chapter 16 and follow the week by week schedule.  The rest of the book is simply him complaining about law school and saying how awesome LEEWS is.

tacc731

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 08:19:21 PM »
By the way, to answer the original question, I am doing the "PLS II method."  Partly out of sheer boredom...I have 3 months with nothing else to do.

lawman2005

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 09:24:36 AM »
Thanks, I might try it out
160/3.67
attending: ASU

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 03:30:00 AM »
My law school prep program is to go to the batting cage, get back my swing. ;) That's UVA for you. :)
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

ramason

• AOL Instant Messenger - Roxanna1314
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 04:14:32 AM »
I've already started the PLS method because, although I haven't technically graduated, its less than 10 weeks to orientation.  He basically has a summer schedule having you read through a chapter a week in the E&Es for Contracts, Civ Pro, Torts, and Property, plus LEEWES and Delaney's book on legal reasoning.  You are also supposed to do the restatements and then read through the E&E for Con Law and the Delaney book on Crim Law in your free time.  Basically he's about reading the study aids to learn the basics and then going through hypos....although it might be a waste of time if the anti-preppers are right, it can't hurt you.  I really enjoy how most of the supper anti-prep people were the one's who spent over a grand on LSAT prep when they could have gotten the same improvement if they'd been dedicated enough to teach themselves from the books (I was a P Review teacher, so I know the scam from the inside)
LSAT:  169
UGPA:  3.29
Accepted:  WUSTL$, SLU$$$
WL:  Northwestern, UIUC
Rejected:  GW
Pending: Penn, Emory, Vandy

dreamer1

• Sr. Citizen
  • CLS '08
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 10:35:19 AM »
Am I the only one who is bothered by Mr. Falcon's lack of succinctness? I mean, I appreciate the info, but I often find myself reading pages that don't really make a point and wonder what I just read. I think that book could be half its current size.
Attending: Columbia Law School

tacc731

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 10:58:08 AM »
Agreed.