Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ATHENS, GA VISIT  (Read 4116 times)

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ATHENS, GA VISIT
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2005, 11:34:19 AM »
Damn!  Where on earth did you find that house?!?  Was it for sale by owner?!?!  How far off campus was it.. Im having a hard time staying under 130k...

Buy.. Buy.. Buy.. while you still can.. thats only my opinion though.. Yeah, Athens is gonna be fun.. Cant wait to meet everyone and get started on this 3 year journey through hell!
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2005, 02:06:43 PM »
The house was about 10-15 minutes from School. Not sure if it is considered eastside or west side.  And yes it was for sale by owner.  Ask your agent about the villas at snapfinger they have houses in the low 120s and they seem nice (online). good luck!

Went to a few of those.. they are ok.. want to keep looking though.. so.. you've decided to rent?

lcmatl

• View Profile
    • my stats
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2005, 02:47:40 PM »
MAN.. what a change from D.C..

Not sure Im ready to go to such a small place.. Completely a college town, but also completely a cool place.. After the trip, I think I've decided its the place I want to be.  I can afford to buy a house, the law school facilities are on a beautiful part of campus, the downtown area (if you can call it that) is pretty hip, and everything is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP... The realestate agent I was with forgot to feed a meter downtown and I offered to go back and throw some quarters in for her.. and she said "dont worry about it, its only 3 bucks".. A parking ticket for 3 bucks!! are you kidding me!?!?  I went out to a show and had a few beers later that night and spent less than 15 bucks.. You cant even get two drinks in D.C. for that much!

The students also seemed a lot more diverse than I had expected.. Dont get me wrong, its still the bible belt, but the students I saw milling around campus seemed pretty cool.. Great music, and great bars.. For a little more culture/sophistication you'd probably have to head to Atlanta, but that is only 1.5 hrs. away. 

Also, I spoke with a recent grad of Emory who works at a BIGLAW firm in Atlanta (pulling in over 100k) and she assured me that if she had to do it all over again she would have gone to UGA.. She said that the people she works with that graduated from UGA had a much more enjoyable 3 years than herself.. So.. Im feeling pretty good about UGA..

Hit me with any Athens questions you like..

Glad you enjoyed Athens. It's a cool little town, and Atlanta is very easily accessible if you want a bigger city. You'll also be amazed how much cheaper Atlanta is than DC (certainly not as cheap as Athens, but as a medium-sized city cost of living is pretty low). I lived in New York for two years after college, and after getting used to Atlanta prices again, I'm always shocked when I visit friends back in NYC.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the Bible belt. Athens is pretty liberal as small Southern towns go, and Atlanta is populated with a bunch of transplanted Northerners and other non-Bible-belt types. You still get somewhat of a fratty scene in Athens, but I've also heard you can easily find alternative options.

As for GT, my baby brother goes there (and is doing phenomenally well in his mechanical engineering degree). He has a very attractive girlfriend there, but they were together before they started college, so it doesn't really count. However, he'll very likely graduate from college with a high-paying job and very little debt, which is much more than I can say of my New England liberal arts college experience...

Coyote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2005, 10:26:54 AM »
hahaha.  i love college rivalries.

it's sad but true, Tech has only about 10 girls and 6 of them don't speak english very well.   :'(

Hookers don't count.

Gas for the drive to 4th Street...$1.00

4th Street prostitute...$10.00

Tech student's sheepish apology for inability to perform...priceless

gatechgrad2004

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2005, 04:11:46 PM »
Albeit, the guy from UGA has a distinct advantage over any guy from Tech.  This arises from the fact that the UGA guy has "practiced" with all his female relatives and farm animals.  As a result, he never has to utter "a sheepish apology for his inability to perform" to a hooker (aka his sister).   ;D  UGA folk are also better banjo players... i hear the Deliverance song playing in the distance every time i unfortunately have to leave Atlanta to visit Athens.   :)

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2005, 04:23:05 PM »
UB Law Fast Facts

Student Profile
Class of 2004

Enrolled: 235
Average age: 24
Women: 53 %
Men: 47 %
Minority students: 19 %
Selectivity: 39 %
Average GPA of accepted applicants: 3.36
Average LSAT of accepted applicants: 154
Colleges represented: 91
Countries represented: 5
Students with advanced Degrees: 11
States represented: 13

I wont even humor you by comparing that to UGAs stats.. cumon dude.. I bet you'd cut your left ear off to go to UGA law...

Bring it on son!

gatechgrad2004

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2005, 04:37:50 PM »
Drowles,

I once admitted that UGA had a "fine law school."  Why attack UB? You could have mentioned that USNews ranks UGA higher, but you are probably wise enough to know that I would have retaliated by pointing out that UGA's law school has fallen in the rankings over and over again the last few years... GREAT trend, my friend.  I guess emphasis should be placed on "HAD a fine law school."

Up to this point, I have merely pointed out some of the more negative attributes of rednecks.  If that offended you, does that mean those applied to you?   ;)

You might be a redneck ... if...

[btw, Did you know Jeff Foxworthy went to Tech?]

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2005, 06:13:47 PM »
Drowles,

I once admitted that UGA had a "fine law school."  Why attack UB? You could have mentioned that USNews ranks UGA higher, but you are probably wise enough to know that I would have retaliated by pointing out that UGA's law school has fallen in the rankings over and over again the last few years... GREAT trend, my friend.  I guess emphasis should be placed on "HAD a fine law school."

Up to this point, I have merely pointed out some of the more negative attributes of rednecks.  If that offended you, does that mean those applied to you?   ;)

You might be a redneck ... if...

[btw, Did you know Jeff Foxworthy went to Tech?]

Interesting.. I had no idea that listing statistics was attacking UB.. Both Georgia schools (Emory & UGA) have fallen recently and Im not too worried about it.. But, you are correct.. I just wanted to point out the fact that while you may be attacking UGA, you probably wouldnt have minded attending there law school.. This is a fact, of course, that you may deny if you wish..

Coyote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2005, 08:15:44 PM »
Albeit, the guy from UGA has a distinct advantage over any guy from Tech.  This arises from the fact that the UGA guy has "practiced" with all his female relatives and farm animals.  As a result, he never has to utter "a sheepish apology for his inability to perform" to a hooker (aka his sister).   ;D  UGA folk are also better banjo players... i hear the Deliverance song playing in the distance every time i unfortunately have to leave Atlanta to visit Athens.   :)

Very creative.  Likely from your practice in devising fictional sexual exploits.  You probably have calluses like roof shingles.

Although UGA may have fallen in the rankings, thank God they've stayed out of the second tier.  That's where you go if you tank on the LSAT.  What's a Tech grad doing going to law school, anyway?  I thought an engineering degree was a path to riches.  Your GPA must be a ramblin' wreck from Georgia Tech as well.

Now stop being such a cliche'.  Get out from behind that computer and give me your lunch money before I give you a swirlie.

gatechgrad2004

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2005, 11:49:36 PM »
Actually, i graduated with a 3.32 (a modest GPA that I am proud of).

But remember, Tech is not guilty of the grade inflation most other schools are (thank God).  A 3.15 is honors at Tech, 3.35 high honor and 3.55 is highest honor.

Eventually liberals  will learn that not everyone can be better than average.  Even folks that take math at UGA can figure that one out.   ;)