Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ATHENS, GA VISIT  (Read 4115 times)

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ATHENS, GA VISIT
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 01:16:34 PM »
If you are renting.. I'd say head to the West side.. no doubt..
I went to 40 Watt Club Saturday night.. Good place to catch a show!  Built to Spill is playing there in the next couple of weeks!
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 01:18:54 PM »
So.. DRUIDGIRL.. are you buying on the WESTSIDE?!

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nolegirl290@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 01:26:22 PM »
40 watt is an excellent place to catch a show.
I am so jealous! I wish I was moving back. One of my best friends is starting in the Fall as well and he is SO excited. Good luck to you all.

Buying a house in Athens is a good investment. If you want to keep it after you graduate, you will have plenty of renters who are interested and property values are going up.
Tony:"So your not gonna go to law school? What do you wanna do then?"
Mike:"I wanna dance!"

druidgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 01:32:18 PM »
DRUIDGIRL..

Great info! You plan to pay your mortgage with loans?! Thats my plan..

You know if you are on the East side or west side.. What neighborhood are you hoping to land the contract in? I looked at a few houses in neighborhoods on the East side in that price range.. Maybe we could end up being neighbors? I might have to up my price though..

Are you buying a brand new place?! If not, how old?

Thanks again.. you are always really helpful!

We are buying a new place (they are currently building it) on the West side.  The house we chose was one of the more expensive (and biggest) model offered in that neighborhood, so you should be able to find something in or near the price range you are looking for.  I think the smaller floor plans were around $135K and up and were also 3 bedrooms and 2 bath.  If you would rather be on the West side you should keep looking.  I know we saw several options that would meet your needs and budget.

As for the mortgage, we are selling a townhouse up here and making enough on the sale to buy our house down there outright.  That is actually how we set our budget.  We wanted a place that we would not need a mortgage on while I was in school.  
...not all those who wander are lost...

gatechgrad2004

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 07:58:30 PM »
Just remember one thing that many of my classmates at Georgia Tech told me while I was an undergrad student, "If you cannot go to college, go to Georgia."  They were very wise.  Congrats on your decisions to become "dumb dawgs."

Sorry, it's a rivalry thing, and you new "dumb dawgs" will have to get used to this one.

Go Jackets!
P.S. What's the good word?

borntofly021

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 12:48:48 AM »
drowles, Athens questions for ya if you don't mind....did you talk to any current law students about housing or was most of your interaction with the real estate agent? I'm wondering where most law students live because from what I'm heard East and West Athens are quite different. Did you have any issues with parking? I got a mailing about signing up for parking passes, but I'm not sure I want to drop the extra cash if I can bike/walk or find spots on the streets easily. And oh yes, any first impressions on those UGA ladies?
Hey. I go to UGA, and I just wanted to say this: UGA parking sucks! I lived on campus, so my situation was a little bit different. People who don't live on campus have it harder, as housing and faculty get top priority. There is a parking deck by the law school... but it would really get to be expensive, unless you actually buy a parking pass for it. The parking deck fills up very quickly though... I believe a lot of faculty park in it. Do not assume you will just be able to find something along the street, because those spots are few and far between. (I know because every time a friend visits, there are parking issues.) If you don't live too far away from campus, you certainly can walk. A LOT of people walk/ride their bikes to campus. The campus is very pedestrian friendly, even though Athens drivers are sometimes jerks. Athens has a pretty good transit system as well, and a lot of busses go a good distance away from campus. If anyone has any questions about the law school, feel free to ask me, as I have a connection to the law school and know A LOT about it. 
Crank up the band, play the steel guitar.
Hank it up a little, let's rock this bar.
Threw back a shot; yelled: "I'm a George Strait junkie.
"Ah-ooh-hoo, play somethin' country."

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 10:11:59 AM »
Just remember one thing that many of my classmates at Georgia Tech told me while I was an undergrad student, "If you cannot go to college, go to Georgia."  They were very wise.  Congrats on your decisions to become "dumb dawgs."

Sorry, it's a rivalry thing, and you new "dumb dawgs" will have to get used to this one.

Go Jackets!

::)
Furture dawgs, you will learn to ignore Jackets. You will quickly realize that they are all techno nerds with pocket protectors and no social skills. Plus a crappy football team. They are just bitter because the girls are hotter and UGA and the parties are much more fun.

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 10:15:11 AM »

Go Jackets!

::)
Furture dawgs, you will learn to ignore Jackets. You will quickly realize that they are all techno nerds with pocket protectors and no social skills. Plus a crappy football team. They are just bitter because the girls are hotter and UGA and the parties are much more fun.

Yeah, I know about the rivalry.. Wonder if I'll get into it at all.. probably not.. seems like something bored in-staters do.. Oh well, gtech is a great school for engineering.. But, who wants to be an engineer anyway... ;)

borntofly021

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 10:17:00 AM »
Hahahaha, that's right, gatechgrad2004!!  ;)
Crank up the band, play the steel guitar.
Hank it up a little, let's rock this bar.
Threw back a shot; yelled: "I'm a George Strait junkie.
"Ah-ooh-hoo, play somethin' country."

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 10:18:48 AM »
barely