Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Berlin Police Block Neo-Nazi Protest Rally  (Read 622 times)

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Berlin Police Block Neo-Nazi Protest Rally
« on: May 09, 2005, 04:24:11 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/08/AR2005050800676.html

Some doors can't stay closed.

That being said, I respect people who are openly racist rather then people who harbor racial thoughts, attitudes, feelings and never say what is on their minds.
With the open racist you know exactly where they stand. The closet racist can always duck under the cover of ignorance or insensitivity.

Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Berlin Police Block Neo-Nazi Protest Rally
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 07:18:28 AM »
fair enough, but those who feel strongly enough to parade about it are their own type of scary.   at least when people hide it, there appears to be sense of shame or propriety--or at least social utility--at work.

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 11:41:25 PM »
I agree with the social utility aspect. Yet, I still have fears, especially as a minority, that I am getting one reaction to my face and perhap an entirely different one when I am not around. I'm sure that I am not the only one who feels this way. I expect people to be racist until proven otherwise. And even then you can never be sure. I doubt that this will ever change.

The Germans may say that they are no longer racist but the fact of the matter is that neo-Nazi party officals continue to hold seats in their Parliament.
Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 08:00:27 AM »
there plenty of well-meaning people who doing their best to not be racist.  however, even these people need to appreciate that they've been acculturated to racism to certain extent and so likely have vestiges of it in their behavior of which they need to become as aware as possible.  it hard work.

that having been said, julie believes that even neo-nazis should be allowed to speak freely.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 08:55:29 AM »
At least they aren't Illinois nazis. I hate Illinois nazis.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 09:18:24 AM »
both of them.

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 04:44:16 AM »
there plenty of well-meaning people who doing their best to not be racist.  however, even these people need to appreciate that they've been acculturated to racism to certain extent and so likely have vestiges of it in their behavior of which they need to become as aware as possible.  it hard work.

that having been said, julie believes that even neo-nazis should be allowed to speak freely.

Agreed. If you believe in the first amendment then you have to guarantee free speech even if you find it vile.

Agreed. (Many, not all) Whites have been acculturated to racism.
But I disagree here...most do not want to be made aware of it. In my experience, the last thing that whites want to be made aware of is they they are the beneficiaries of the system that has historically been pro-white. Whites want nothing to do with racial issues unless forced to in order to not be considered racist.

-Goethe

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 11:45:49 AM »
I think that everyone is racist in some way or another. We all occasioanly and unconsiously judge someone becasue of their skin color. This could be a black kid beinf aprehensive of a hite kid becaseu he assumes him ot be aracist, or it coudl be a white kid being nevous at night when he walks by a black kid. The difference is that many of us realize those impulise and try and control them. I have never met a colorblind indivual, but I have met many people who try hard to be.

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 06:28:19 AM »
"Do or do not do, there is no try." - Mr. Miyagi

forgive the facetiousness

-Goethe

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 08:36:27 AM »
julie will try.