Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: College courses taken for High School graduation?  (Read 632 times)

ricefigaro

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
College courses taken for High School graduation?
« on: May 08, 2005, 06:46:24 AM »
So I took two classes at HYP during my senior year of high school and did rather well. But since they counted towards the credits used for High School graduation (but more probably and understandably so, because I didn't pay any kind of tuition) I was not issued a transcript and thus cannot report them to LSAC. Should I bring these classes up somewhere on my law school applications? If so how?

carly

• View Profile
Re: College courses taken for High School graduation?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 09:19:46 AM »
Did you use those courses for credit towards your undergrad degree? If not, then you dont have to. I spoke with the law school that ill be attending and they said that they only need those transcripts from schools where you were completing your undergrad degree.

kristay

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 12:15:09 PM »
Why didn't you get a transcript?  I did the same thing and didn't pay any tuition since I was a high school student enrolled in a public high school and still had to send dmy transcript to LSAC.  I did not use these classes toward my undergrad degree, but LSAC said that I needed to send transcripts from every college ever attended.

ricefigaro

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 06:19:30 PM »
I suspect I didn't get a transcript because I didn't pay any kind of tuition. In fact, if I remember correctly, I had the opition of getting a transcript if I payed for the classes on a per credit basis - but I thought it was stupid to shell out about $2500. Because I was not issued a transcript I could not count these classes towards my undergraduate degree. They appear on my high school transcript as "HYP Course" along with the grade.

I tried in vain to explain the situation to LSAC. I tried in vain to get a transcript from HYP. Basically, LSAC definition of "college attended" boils down to "colleges you can provide transcripts from". They did suggest that I explain my situation to law schools in an addendum.

I know I don't have to say anything but I think it might make my application marginally more interesting. 

kristay

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 10:22:20 PM »
I know I don't have to say anything but I think it might make my application marginally more interesting.

I'm not trying to be rude or to devalue your experience in any way, but I don't think it really makes your app more interesting.  Many students do this.  If LSAC recommends an addendum, though, you might want to do it.  Find out what ad comms think since it is their opinion that really matters.

ricefigaro

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 03:30:26 AM »
Kristy,

The only reason I think that it might make me marginally more interesting was because the classes I took were two upper division ones at HYP (Harvard, Yale, Princeton). Certainly there are many cases of students taking classes at colleges while in HS and certainly each of them should be evaluated individualy.

Thanks for your suggestion: I think what I will end up doing is bringing the situation up with ad-coms at each school I plan on applying at and inquire as to how, if at all, I should go about incorporating this bit of information into my application.

kristay

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 10:24:06 AM »
Before finding these boards (LSD, XOXO, etc) I would have agreed with you, but I've come across other studens who have taken college courses in high school at various Ivy Leagues and other top colleges/universities.  Whether or not they wre upper div classes, I have no idea.  At any rate, best of luck!  I hope you get into your top choices. :)

P.S. Sorry, just a small thing, but there is an "a" in my name.

tree-zie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 04:16:13 AM »
hmm i have a somewhat similiar question.  I took 3 college courses at a community college while in high school.  All 15 credits went towards my high school credits and 10 credits transferred to the university I'm currently attending.  But I made a dumb mistake.  In the summer after my first year at the university, I went back to the community college to take a math class to potentially transfer up to my university, if I did well.  Well, I didn't do well.  Actually I totally blew off the second midterm and the final.  I didn't even bother to check my grades...but I'm guessing it can't be any higher than a 1.0.  So the university does not know about this grade because I'm not transferring it up to use towards my undergrad degree.  So that specific class is not a class that went towards my undergrad degree but the other two classes I transferred up does.  So the two classes that I took originally in high school appear on my university transcript.  So what does all this mean?  Does this mean I have to submit a transcript from the community college too?  And will the LSAC or the schools I'm applying to factor that into my accum UGPA?  This was such a bad mistake...and I've been throwing a fit eversince I found out that the LSAC wants a record of ALL your college grades.  Hope someone can help me answer these questions...thanks

carly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 09:26:46 AM »
Ill try to help you with this. If any other classes from the community college show up on your undergrad transcript (from your degree-granting univ), then you have to submit the entire transcript and LSAC will see those bad classes and factor them in. Write an addendum and explain it...it seems as though everyone's cummulative GPA is different from their degree-granting one.

kristay

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 10:21:21 AM »
hmm i have a somewhat similiar question.  I took 3 college courses at a community college while in high school.  All 15 credits went towards my high school credits and 10 credits transferred to the university I'm currently attending.  But I made a dumb mistake.  In the summer after my first year at the university, I went back to the community college to take a math class to potentially transfer up to my university, if I did well.  Well, I didn't do well.  Actually I totally blew off the second midterm and the final.  I didn't even bother to check my grades...but I'm guessing it can't be any higher than a 1.0.  So the university does not know about this grade because I'm not transferring it up to use towards my undergrad degree.  So that specific class is not a class that went towards my undergrad degree but the other two classes I transferred up does.  So the two classes that I took originally in high school appear on my university transcript.  So what does all this mean?  Does this mean I have to submit a transcript from the community college too?  And will the LSAC or the schools I'm applying to factor that into my accum UGPA?  This was such a bad mistake...and I've been throwing a fit eversince I found out that the LSAC wants a record of ALL your college grades.  Hope someone can help me answer these questions...thanks

Yes, you will have to submit the transcript from the community college.  It will factor into your UGPA.  My degree granting GPA was 0.3 points higher than the LSAC calculated one b/c of cc clases taken in high school.

I sent my transcript from my degree granting institution first and couldn't get LSAC to provide a report until they'd received my community college transcript.