Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New York Law School  (Read 1304 times)

michael23

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New York Law School
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 12:43:20 AM »
Hey rachel so where will you be going? I put a deposit down for New york also.... I live in San Diego and want to end up back here sop i am a bit uneasy as well. I got into Cal Western but am I really better off going to tier 4 California School?

**MICHAEL**
Accepted: Cal Western, New York Law School
Rejected: UNLV, U of Hawaii, George Mason, & DePaul.
Still Waiting......   USF & Seton Hall

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2005, 04:03:29 AM »
Hey rachel so where will you be going? I put a deposit down for New york also.... I live in San Diego and want to end up back here sop i am a bit uneasy as well. I got into Cal Western but am I really better off going to tier 4 California School?

If you planned to settle in San Diego, you'd be better off going to Cal Western even if you got into Brooklyn Law or Cardozo. Folks, it is NEW YORK LAW SCHOOL, not NEW YORK UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL, you are talking about. The ONLY reason NYLS is not in the Fourth Tier, as it was not that long ago, is because it boasts Manhattan starting salaries, and because many people want to go there because of the prospect of making those same Manhattan starting salaries. (Of course, $100k in Manhattan goes about as far as $55K in Pittsburg, but anyway...)  Santa Clara in CA went through the same starting salary boom, and rise in the rankings to the 2nd tier. Now, of course, the salaries evaporated, and back down to the 3rd tier they went.

Now, having lived in NYC for many years, I am certainly biased against the town on its own (lack of) merits. But, I'd probably go to law school there, despite my intentions to work in CA, if I got into NYU or Columbia. Why? Every employer in CA knows both are great schools. Going to the 6th best law school in NYC--8th if you include the 'burbs--isn't going to do that.  And I can assure you employers don't log onto USNWR before they make hiring decisions.

michael23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2005, 04:03:20 PM »
I wasn't the least bit confused as to which school is which. I have after on been reading up on the schools. I am really interested in the Media and Entertainment Law program they have. I've heard is is a great program, is it know to the West Coast firms?

rach33

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 12:10:54 AM »
Michael...I'll definately be going to NYLS. That seems to be the best option after reading what some others have to say. I guess I (as well as everyone else) will just have to find some way to deal with the library issues. Its still scary though!