Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New York Law School  (Read 1278 times)

rach33

• View Profile
    • Email
New York Law School
« on: May 08, 2005, 12:42:14 AM »
I am supposed to be starting NYLS in August and all I keep hearing are horrible things (ie. bad advising, poor job prospects, overcrowding, the start of new construction this summer etc..). Does anyone have anything AT ALL that they know and would like to share with me about the school? I'm really on the verge of just going somewhere else. Help!

ccorsi

Re: New York Law School
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 12:52:09 AM »
Where else are you thinking - for comparative choices.

C2

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 02:23:52 AM »
I am supposed to be starting NYLS in August and all I keep hearing are horrible things (ie. bad advising, poor job prospects, overcrowding, the start of new construction this summer etc..). Does anyone have anything AT ALL that they know and would like to share with me about the school? I'm really on the verge of just going somewhere else. Help!

I knew three persons who were attending the school around 2000-2001. They all praised the school's professors, saying they were great teachers as well as great scholars. That having been said, if NYLS was in Kansas, Virginia, or any other location other than NYC, it would be a Fourth Tier school (my opinion). If you have a choice of going elsewhere, especially if you aren't married to working in NYC, I'd move on.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 10:52:26 AM »

I really wanted to go to NYLS, but the cost drove me away.  I wanted to study law on Wall Street, but when that deal fell through all interest in NYLS went with it.

rach33

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 11:18:48 AM »
Hmmm...well the thing is that at this point I will have to wait another year and reapply to other schools since the deadline has passed for the others I was considering. I'm still willing to do that though. I'd really rather go anywhere in California since thats where I want to end up and I'm guessing that getting a job there with a degree from NY Law will be difficult. My decision to go to NY Law School was unfortunately based heavily on my family (who pushed NY Law like crazy). Now I'm really regretting it.

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 03:03:17 PM »
Hmmm...well the thing is that at this point I will have to wait another year and reapply to other schools since the deadline has passed for the others I was considering. I'm still willing to do that though. I'd really rather go anywhere in California since thats where I want to end up and I'm guessing that getting a job there with a degree from NY Law will be difficult. My decision to go to NY Law School was unfortunately based heavily on my family (who pushed NY Law like crazy). Now I'm really regretting it.

I rarely say this, but I think you should sit out a year then. Not only would a NYLS been less valuable than even a 4th Tier CA school JD (assuming you wish to practice and live in CA), but it sounds like you'd be miserable while attending NYLS since you weren't all that keen on going there from the outset.

dl1917

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 04:21:17 AM »
I'd still be a little uneasy going to a 4th tier in California because it's so competitive to get a job out there. At least if you go to NYLS you'll have some prospects for a job, maybe not the most elite firms, but firms nontheless, as compared to slim to no chances for anything coming out of 4th tier schools in CA. You could just go to NYLS and try to look for jobs out in CA and if nothing happens, fall back on something in NY. I'd probably say the only decent 4th tier CA school would be Cal Western, but even getting a job out of there isn't easy. Just my view, I could be wrong.

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 02:58:09 PM »
I'd still be a little uneasy going to a 4th tier in California because it's so competitive to get a job out there. At least if you go to NYLS you'll have some prospects for a job, maybe not the most elite firms, but firms nontheless, as compared to slim to no chances for anything coming out of 4th tier schools in CA. You could just go to NYLS and try to look for jobs out in CA and if nothing happens, fall back on something in NY. I'd probably say the only decent 4th tier CA school would be Cal Western, but even getting a job out of there isn't easy. Just my view, I could be wrong.
Is California a competitive market? Yes and no. Yes for BigLaw, but not any more or less competitive for other types of jobs than many other states. Now, the issue isn't whether going to a "Fourth Tier" school in CA is a good idea of not. The issue is whether going to a "Fourth Tier" school in CA is better than going to NYLS, if one intends to work in CA. NYLS is totally off the radar screen here in CA, and BigLaw from NYLS to LA or SF is a non-option. Further, NYLS has virtually NO contacts in CA, whereas even the worst school in CA has a lot. But the issue, of course, is moot because the OP has a good shot of getting into Southwestern or maybe Santa Clara, both solidly 3rd Tier (and formerly 2nd Tier) schools.

dl1917

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 03:13:12 AM »
Of course going to school in CA would be better if you plan to stay in CA upon grad. The only problem is what prospects you'd have going to the worst schools in the state if you didn't do well. I know some people at 4th tiers in CA that have done well and they have had no problem getting a job. Then there are those that I know that aren't at the top of the class and it's been almost impossible for them to find a job or even get an interview. Just be careful before you choose to attend a 4th tier because you either have to make sure you do well or have great connections.

Tymeless

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 10:36:25 AM »
Has anyone found out any more information about the library?  I mean if this is true that means my entire law school career without a school library?  I mean, WTF!!! They definately did not tell me about this or any plans of this during my tour on Admit day.  Hmmm.
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
I am taking all the shots I can.
In:NYLS, Touro
Out: St. Johns, Brooklyn, Hofstra (Damn, Damn, Damn!!!)