Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: About Villanova....  (Read 3308 times)

Largemonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: About Villanova....
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2005, 05:09:53 PM »
Hi all!
I wasn't sure if I should be posting things in the Villanova section of the "Students & Graduates" board or here...  I already posted something regarding apartment hunting, cuz I'm not sure if it's worth living alone for around $1000/mo. or living with a roommate for half the price.  What do you guys think?   :)

I'm going to give you the lame old "it depends," answer. If you would find it distracting to have to deal with a roommate, then I think the extra money spent to live on your own for the first year is well worth it. It's such an important year that it would be a shame to have it derailed by a stupid personality clash with some random roommate.  On the other hand, if you think you would benefit from having a roommate to hang out with when you are at home relaxing, than maybe that is the way to go.

I think extra money spent on making your first year successful is money very well spent.
158 (155+161)/3.1
Going to: Villanova
In:Rutgers-Camden $, Catholic, NYLS $, PSU $
WL: Cardozo, U MD, Brooklyn, St. John's
Out: American, BU, BC, UConn, Fordham, Georgetown PT, GW PT, Penn, Temple, George Mason, W&L
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alexknagy

NY423C

• I find this pic much better looking than myself
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2005, 09:01:58 PM »
I'll be living alone for $650 a month, all utilities (including high speed internet) included.  My drive to school will be between 2 and 5 minutes, depending on whether or not I get a red light.  I think it is well worth it.  It's not that I wouldn't get along with a roommate, but I've not had much luck.  For example, one of my roommates preached the gospel like it was her job, looking down upon everyone for not being perfect.  Needless to say, by the end of the school year, she decided that she was a lesbian, seduced a confused and previously-straight freshman into an unsteady lesbian relationship, and ended up beating the girl.  Now she stalks her.  This was the same roommate that got angry at me for not studying as often as she did.  I had to tell her that I "already studied" for my tests so that she wouldn't get jealous if I got a good grade.  Crazy thing is that she called me recently and asked if I would be one of her references for her application to the state police.  Haha.   

Granted, I know that my roommate situation is not the norm....but I'm not willing to risk it again with so much at stake.  I consider myself lucky to have found such a good deal, and I find comfort in the fact that the only drama that I'll have to deal with at home is my own.

Check out the school to see if there are studio apartments being rented out or professors renting out a wing of their house.  I think it's worth a look.  But if you do live with a roommate, just be careful who you choose!!!!  I'm sure that the odds are very small that you'll have a nightmare for a roommate.  Best of luck... 
Accepted:  Villanova ($14,000/yr), Temple ($7,500/yr), Uconn, St. John's ($25,000/yr)

Rejected:  Fordham, Upenn (such is life)

Waitlisted:  Washington and Lee

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ny423c

NY423C

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2005, 09:33:14 PM »
I guess I should add a little disclaimer before people misinterpret my post and what I meant by it...

It was not at all intended as a bash on lesbians and the like, as some of my good friends are actually lesbian or bisexual.  It was just an illustration of some of the crazy people that are out there.  Regardless of her sexuality, she was a weird one.  Sorry if it offends anyone but it's TOTALLY not meant in that way. 
Accepted:  Villanova ($14,000/yr), Temple ($7,500/yr), Uconn, St. John's ($25,000/yr)

LoveYaLots

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2005, 10:45:56 PM »
Wow, that's a great deal!  How did you go about finding such a catch?  I've been surfing the web, using villanova's references, and the like, and I'm still coming up with a monthly budget of around a grand. Ugh!~  I think I may have to risk having a potential "nightmare" roommate.    :-X 

I'll be living alone for $650 a month, all utilities (including high speed internet) included.  My drive to school will be between 2 and 5 minutes, depending on whether or not I get a red light.  I think it is well worth it.  It's not that I wouldn't get along with a roommate, but I've not had much luck.  For example, one of my roommates preached the gospel like it was her job, looking down upon everyone for not being perfect.  Needless to say, by the end of the school year, she decided that she was a lesbian, seduced a confused and previously-straight freshman into an unsteady lesbian relationship, and ended up beating the girl.  Now she stalks her.  This was the same roommate that got angry at me for not studying as often as she did.  I had to tell her that I "already studied" for my tests so that she wouldn't get jealous if I got a good grade.  Crazy thing is that she called me recently and asked if I would be one of her references for her application to the state police.  Haha.   

Granted, I know that my roommate situation is not the norm....but I'm not willing to risk it again with so much at stake.  I consider myself lucky to have found such a good deal, and I find comfort in the fact that the only drama that I'll have to deal with at home is my own.

Check out the school to see if there are studio apartments being rented out or professors renting out a wing of their house.  I think it's worth a look.  But if you do live with a roommate, just be careful who you choose!!!!  I'm sure that the odds are very small that you'll have a nightmare for a roommate.  Best of luck... 

NY423C

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2005, 09:14:06 AM »
Haha.  Well actually, it was my cousin who found the catch.  He went to the school last summer, when not too many students were around, and found a posting on some board in the building.  He said there were actually two other ones, but he liked the one he chose most (obviously). 

It's in the basement of a pretty big house (not quite a mansion), and it's got all the things a studio should have.  He even has his own parking space in the garage and access to the built-in pool out back, although he's never used it because it's been too cold.  His landlord is totally cool lady who actually cooks him dinner on occassion, but doesn't meddle in his business at all.  The only downfall of the entire deal is that, to get to his apartment, he has to walk like five feet through the main house to get to the basement door.  Short of no private entrance, the place is a wonderful deal. 

I suggest taking a trip to campus in the next few weeks and checking out the hallways for any similar deals.  The landlord where I'll be actually loves to have law students, and I'm sure others do as well.  And if you do decide to go with a roommate, I'm sure you won't be as unlucky as I was.  I just had what I thought was a funny story to share.  I hope it doesn't scare people too much!  Good luck and keep me posted!

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2005, 01:48:23 AM »
interesting reading about 'nova.  i just got on the waitlist after months of hearing nothing.  it said they take people off the WL each year but i'm not getting my hopes up.  i honestly don't even know if law school is worth leaving a good job for quite yet.  i'm in the field i want to be in (sports) with co-workers that are like family. 

regardless, i'd like to get in and at least have the choice.  good luck to you guys there if it doesn't happen for me.  i have a couple of life-long buddies (one will be a penn 3L and one is a wharton grad that stuck around there for work) so the area is enticing.  my gf has an aunt and uncle in villanova as well. 

dividedsky, if you're gonna be in nola and want to head out to a zephyrs game with some friends...PM me.  I'll leave you tix at will call.  thirsty thursday $1 beers and there's some decent talent most of the time. 

FIU Class of 2009

dividedsky

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT, 2.73 UGPA
    • View Profile
    • all bisco all the time
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2005, 05:01:06 PM »
thirsty thursdays at zephyr field are fun.  unfortuantely i was very busy this weekend and did not see this message until now -- thanks for the offer though!!   (it was graduation weekend, the entire family came down, pretty intense)

interesting reading about 'nova.  i just got on the waitlist after months of hearing nothing.  it said they take people off the WL each year but i'm not getting my hopes up.  i honestly don't even know if law school is worth leaving a good job for quite yet.  i'm in the field i want to be in (sports) with co-workers that are like family. 

regardless, i'd like to get in and at least have the choice.  good luck to you guys there if it doesn't happen for me.  i have a couple of life-long buddies (one will be a penn 3L and one is a wharton grad that stuck around there for work) so the area is enticing.  my gf has an aunt and uncle in villanova as well. 

dividedsky, if you're gonna be in nola and want to head out to a zephyrs game with some friends...PM me.  I'll leave you tix at will call.  thirsty thursday $1 beers and there's some decent talent most of the time. 

dividedsky

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT, 2.73 UGPA
    • View Profile
    • all bisco all the time
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2005, 02:12:27 PM »
just to update this thread for all people still looking for housing for villanova...

i just moved into my new apt this past weekend, in a building in Manayunk called the lofts at chimney hill (www.neducsin.com for the property mgrs site).  the apartment and the building are both great and i would highly recommend them.  the office has been helpful and friendly (a huge shock to me after having a new orleans slumlord to answer to for the last three years), but the best part about this building is the people... most of the building seems to be under the age of 25.  ive seen a few villanova law license plate frames in the lot, as well as tags/frames/etc from other grad schools in the area, and a few alumni frames... most of the people i've meet seem to be fresh out of college and working around philly.  basically what it comes down to is that this place is nice, quiet on the weekdays, and pretty fun on the weekends.  so for those of you who are worried about missing college a little too much (i know i was), you can still find a social scene on friday, but dont worry about it getting too loud during the week either.  pretty great in my opinion, and i just thought i'd share that with yall

also, the previous occupants left behind a new queen bed frame in its original packaging.  i dont need it, and neither does my roomate.  if any future/current philly area law students are in need, its yours.

tomas23t

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2005, 03:00:37 PM »
Thanks for the update, those apartments look great.  How far are you from the law school?  20 min or so?
In: $$$Pitt(8k per year), $$$Villanova(10K per year), Catholic, San Diego
Waitlist: GW, U-Conn, Wake Forest, American
Out: Wisconsin, Boston College, G-Town, Illinois....and more...

dividedsky

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT, 2.73 UGPA
    • View Profile
    • all bisco all the time
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2005, 04:24:16 PM »
that all depends on if the expressway is moving.  its only 6 miles, which can fly by at highway speeds, but we all know on the schuylkill you cant count on that always being the case.  the good thing is that when leaving manayunk, you can see if the expressway is jammed or not... and if it is, you can go up rock hill road to rt 23, which will take you 15-20 minutes, but is a nice drive.  i feel like going to class in the morning i will have to leave early, but coming back won't be so bad.  the good news is that both going to and from school one is going against the masses rushing to work, but suburban sprawl has made this pretty unpredictable -- know any good philly traffic reports online?

Thanks for the update, those apartments look great.  How far are you from the law school?  20 min or so?