Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: About Villanova....  (Read 3236 times)

LoveYaLots

• View Profile
About Villanova....
« on: May 07, 2005, 10:54:21 PM »
I am most likely going to be attending Villanova this coming fall, and I wanted to start a thread discussing anything and everything about the school.  ;D 

BTW, do you know how their workout facilities are?  good? bad? none?  :)

wideawake

• View Profile
Re: About Villanova....
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 11:28:53 PM »
Well I go to undergrad at nova.

I've gotten a good number of parking tickets in the law school lots because the one decent workout facility on campus is located on "west campus" (where the law school is technically located i guess, though most undergrads barely even consider the law school building as even part of the school) in the basement of one of the junior apartments... and the school expects undergrads to park all the way over in main lot (a 15/20 min walk to west) to get to that gym.  The gym is alright at best.  Most juniors and seniors at Nova get a gym membership elsewhere so they don't have to deal with the frequent broken equipment, long waits for treadmills and all equipment, and the fluctuating temperatures.  The only reason I say the facilities are alright is because the south campus gym actually looks like a gym from about 1950, so in comparison it is state of the art.

Don't get me wrong, I love the school (undergrad at least), but there are some gripes I have with it here and there.

Bar scene in the immediate area, as I'm sure really isn't the biggest concern on your mind, will be completely overrun with undergrads.  However, the newly reopened Kelly's is a complete hit with the whole community and I wouldn't be surprised if some law students hang out there as well.  Otherwise, expect to be venturing out to Philly for a fun time.

The campus itself is beautiful, though the law school building and surrounding area, sort of gets the shaft in my opinion.  There has been talk for years of the nursing school of Villanova taking over the law school building and the law school moving to an off campus location, but I don't know where that stands at the present time.

If you got some more general questions, let me know.
BU '08... holler

LoveYaLots

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 10:15:02 AM »
Which gyms are in the area?  LA Fitness at all?  Man, I do not want to go through the whole "Freshman 15" stage again~~ Yikes!  :-[

Oh, I also wanted to ask whether people live out in the city (either Center City or Near UPenn/Drexel) and commute and how long the commute was...

BTW, thanks for all the info above!

wideawake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 11:51:49 AM »
The gym a lot of people use is PSC (Philadelphia Sports Club), it's supposedly really nice, but there are a ton of options in the area... a ton.

About living in Center City or UPenn, commuting by car from the city would be a huge hassle as the traffic here tends to be vicious and unpredictable (actually... not that unpredictable, you just KNOW there will be traffic).  I would say it could work though if you decide to take the the train everyday which would be about a 20min commute, maybe a few minutes more... but trains are good to get some work done on anyways.  As an added bonus the train station is litterally right next to the law school.

Otherwise I would say a good place to live would be Ardmore, where I currently live now.  It's about 3 towns over from Villanova... 3 miles, about a 10-15 minute drive to school depending on time of day.  The previously mentioned PSC is also just a quick walk away as it is located in Ardmore, and you can find some really fair priced housing.  Right now I have two roommates and we each have our own bedroom plus a living room, bath and a half, and kitchen, and it costs $460 a month including our own designated parking spot.  The other perk to being in Ardmore is that it's in the direction of Philly with regards to Nova so you kind of get the best of both worlds.  Also Suburban Square + Trader Joe's/Farmer's Market is within walking distance to me, and it's a nice place to walk around, shop and spend a nice weather Sunday.

Once again this is all from an undergrad, and I don't really know what a majority of the law students actually do.
BU '08... holler

ccorsi

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 12:08:15 PM »
Oh, I also wanted to ask whether people live out in the city (either Center City or Near UPenn/Drexel) and commute and how long the commute was...

BTW, thanks for all the info above!

I went to Penn undergrad so I feel pretty comfortable in telling you that you would be crazy to live in W.Philly (Penn/Drexel areas) and try to commute to 'Nova.

You would be much better off living near 'Nova's campus and treking in to center city or University city for evening and weekend outings.

However, if for whatever reason you just want somewhere to live with a bit of cool feel with easy walking distance to bars/restaurants you might want to consider Manayunk.  That area is very cool and would be an easier commute since it is near the blue route and 'Nova's exit.  Traffic can be murder though - so consider yourself warned.

C2

dividedsky

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT, 2.73 UGPA
    • View Profile
    • all bisco all the time
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 11:00:52 PM »
I am most likely going to be attending Villanova this coming fall, and I wanted to start a thread discussing anything and everything about the school.  ;D 

BTW, do you know how their workout facilities are?  good? bad? none?  :)

I'm 100% Villanova this fall.  I'm living in Manayunk with one of my good friends from high school (who is in grad school for comm/media @ temple)... Manayunk is a good halfway point between our respective schools, and I would consider it to be the ideal spot to live in.  Our apartment is in a new building (converted textile mill) 2 blocks off main st (full of bars, restaurants, shops, and yes i think i saw 3 or 4 different gyms).  The area is known as the scene for "young professionals", or something...  It's technically 6 miles from the law school, but that 6 miles could bef hell if you take the highway (especially the 2.5 thats on the Schuylkill expy), but since I grew up in lower merion, hopefully I can remember the back roads and it wont be so bad.  I wouldnt want to live in the suburbs, but didn't want to be in center city (as previous poster stated, such an idea would be INSANE), so Manayunk was the choice for me.  I also found nice apartments available in Conshohocken, which has a few new buildings coming up and is closer to 'Nova, but not as cool of an area as Manayunk.  I can give you building names if you want, for either area, as I was just up there a couple weekends ago to make my final decision.  Hope this helps...

Largemonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 09:20:11 AM »
I would imagine that back roads from anywhere would be better than trying to take the Blue route. I'll be living in Media and I hope to never see the Blue route. 

Just to stick up for Center City, though. I really don't think taking the R5 out to Villanova would be any worse than driving. It really isn't that bad of a commute at all (and a reverse commute at that). 

Any one else excited about IM softball?
158 (155+161)/3.1
Going to: Villanova
In:Rutgers-Camden $, Catholic, NYLS $, PSU $
WL: Cardozo, U MD, Brooklyn, St. John's
Out: American, BU, BC, UConn, Fordham, Georgetown PT, GW PT, Penn, Temple, George Mason, W&L
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alexknagy

tomas23t

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 09:33:17 AM »
I'm probably heading there in the fall as well, and am trying to figure out where i should live.  What's King of Prussia like and how long of a drive is Conshohocken from campus.  I've only been to philly once so im really not familiar with the area at all.  Thanks for any help.
In: $$$Pitt(8k per year), $$$Villanova(10K per year), Catholic, San Diego
Waitlist: GW, U-Conn, Wake Forest, American
Out: Wisconsin, Boston College, G-Town, Illinois....and more...

wideawake

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 10:57:49 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't be so quick to bash the Center City commute to Nova by train.  Granted I'm speaking from four years during high school of having either an hour and a half or hour commute into New York City each day by either subway, bus, ferry or some combination of those forms of transportation for high school.  At least with trains your commute can be somewhat productive and you have a good chance of the commute being fairly the same amount of time every day whereas with driving you never really know... so you need to leave yourself a little extra time with the driving.

King of Prussia is shopping mecca.  2nd largest mall in America (second to the one in the midwest with a friggin amusement park in it), you can't go wrong.

Conshy is the closest "hip" place to live relative to Villanova.  I'd say the drive is 15-20 min?  Not really sure on that estimate.
BU '08... holler

tomas23t

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 11:35:24 AM »
Anyone else really stoked about Villanova hoops next year? Im going to try and make it to as many games as I can.  How hard is it to get tickets?
In: $$$Pitt(8k per year), $$$Villanova(10K per year), Catholic, San Diego
Waitlist: GW, U-Conn, Wake Forest, American
Out: Wisconsin, Boston College, G-Town, Illinois....and more...