Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSC -- Any books for NT students?  (Read 2145 times)

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
LSC -- Any books for NT students?
« on: June 02, 2004, 04:54:31 PM »
         After reading some posts on this board regarding books that help prepare you for law school, I went out and bought Law School Confidential.  I spent the night reading it and it was very informative and helped answer a great deal of questions; however, it was primarily designed with a traditional law student in mind.  Almost every scenario within the book consisted of a 22 year-old recent college graduate with no wife, no kids, etc.  Of course, that is to be expected since by far that is the norm for law students. 
         Naturally, there isnít a book out there that matches the life scenarios of everyone applying to law school.  And I am sure there will not be one identical to the situation I am in; however, I am curious if anybody is aware of any law school preparatory books that are based towards the non-traditional student?

Jason

forthguy

Re: LSC -- Any books for NT students?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 05:40:11 PM »
         Naturally, there isnít a book out there that matches the life scenarios of everyone applying to law school.  And I am sure there will not be one identical to the situation I am in; however, I am curious if anybody is aware of any law school preparatory books that are based towards the non-traditional student?

I haven't had much luck at all.  "Law School For Dummies" tries to address it, but it's very clear that th author has no clue what it means to have been out of school; as such, many of her attempts just come off sounding stupid.

Depending upon the information you're looking for -- for me, it was more information about part-time student issues -- the best thing I've found is the Georgetown part-time handbook, which gave me some insight into some of the issues.

Beyond that, there's a lot of info at nontradlaw.com, just by searching the discussions for issues.

Greg

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 10:16:12 AM »
I haven't found any.  I'm going to a night school so I am dying for some info about that kind of program.

flecktone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 06:18:30 PM »
I read "The Complete Law School Companion: How to Excel at America's Most Demanding Post Graduate Curriculum" by Jeff Deaver and thought it was better than Law School Confidential and PLS II.  Deaver went to Fordham Law PT as a Non Traditional while working as a journalist.  This book is not solely for the part time adult student, but was written by one - so he has some understanding for what he calls the "swing shift."

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 07:17:19 PM »
I read the first 100 pages of PLS II and stopped.  Too negative and self-righteous.

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 07:28:06 PM »
If you're wondering if any pay attentions to your posting, I do.  I just ordered this book on half.com.  Thanks for the reference.

I read "The Complete Law School Companion: How to Excel at America's Most Demanding Post Graduate Curriculum" by Jeff Deaver and thought it was better than Law School Confidential and PLS II.  Deaver went to Fordham Law PT as a Non Traditional while working as a journalist.  This book is not solely for the part time adult student, but was written by one - so he has some understanding for what he calls the "swing shift."

flecktone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 08:39:48 PM »
I read the first 100 pages of PLS II and stopped.  Too negative and self-righteous.

PLS II is a book about why we need to read PLS II.

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 08:53:45 AM »

PLS II is a book about why we need to read PLS II.

I like that description.  I had subscribed to the PLS yahoo group.  Self-congratulatory describes that.

midnight oil

• WcoastNegril
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 08:52:59 AM »
hey jeffjoe-  how did you like the book?  do we buy it?  :o

If you're wondering if any pay attentions to your posting, I do.  I just ordered this book on half.com.  Thanks for the reference.

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 12:41:41 PM »
PLS II?  I read a hundred pages, read a lot of postings on the PLS yahoo group, and traded a number of emails with the author.  I think it is a waste of time.  The list of law 'primers' may be useful, but you don't have to buy the book to get that.

The Complete Law School Companion?  I just got it yesterday.  I like it so far.  It's positive and easy to read.  First 30 pages I great.

hey jeffjoe-  how did you like the book?  do we buy it?  :o