Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ave Maria Standard of Living?  (Read 2539 times)

Blue

• View Profile
Re: Ave Maria Standard of Living?
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2005, 11:56:21 AM »
I don't know the apartment prices, 'cause my GF bought a condo. But, I can tell you by comparing the condo markets in A2, Ypsi, and Milan, that Milan is far, far cheaper. A condo that goes for $170,000 in A2, and $150,000 in Ypsi, goes for about $100,000 in Milan.
Right now the rental market is soft around Ypsi and EMU. Ann Arbor is always hot for rentals because of U of M.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2005, 12:05:39 PM »
I don't know the apartment prices, 'cause my GF bought a condo. But, I can tell you by comparing the condo markets in A2, Ypsi, and Milan, that Milan is far, far cheaper. A condo that goes for $170,000 in A2, and $150,000 in Ypsi, goes for about $100,000 in Milan.
Right now the rental market is soft around Ypsi and EMU. Ann Arbor is always hot for rentals because of U of M.

Very good. I'll be up there next week to scope things out...hopefully I can find something should I choose Ave. I appreciate the info!

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2005, 07:03:43 PM »
My apartment is in a decent neighborhood and I got a 2 bedroom for around $600.  Of course I also began my lease in March.  Last month the lady in the office told me that they were charging 680 a month for it (to new leasors) and it would rise to about $800 by September. 

You might want to consider doing a six-month lease, and then renewing for a full year after the six months.  The tough part about the housing industry here being so dependant on students is that all the apartments will be more expensive around the time school starts.
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2005, 07:10:00 PM »
My apartment is in a decent neighborhood and I got a 2 bedroom for around $600.  Of course I also began my lease in March.  Last month the lady in the office told me that they were charging 680 a month for it (to new leasors) and it would rise to about $800 by September. 

You might want to consider doing a six-month lease, and then renewing for a full year after the six months.  The tough part about the housing industry here being so dependant on students is that all the apartments will be more expensive around the time school starts.

Naturally. Well, I see the school on Thursday and the seat deposit is due that day, so if I like it, I'll find a place to live on Friday and put down a deposit there. Maybe I should stay until Saturday...

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2005, 07:13:29 PM »
I hope you have looked at rent.com or similar places for apartments to look at.  It took me 2 full days to look at apartments, but you can do it in one if you set up the interviews before you get there. 

On a side note I have to say that I was very disappointed at about 70% of the apartments I looked at.  The majority of apartments seem grimmy and run down.  A friend told me Ann Arbor students are notoriously hard on apartments and it shows at many.  Some were very nice though.  If you have a list of complexes your looking at I can let you know if I visited any of them.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2005, 07:18:16 PM »
I hope you have looked at rent.com or similar places for apartments to look at.  It took me 2 full days to look at apartments, but you can do it in one if you set up the interviews before you get there. 

On a side note I have to say that I was very disappointed at about 70% of the apartments I looked at.  The majority of apartments seem grimmy and run down.  A friend told me Ann Arbor students are notoriously hard on apartments and it shows at many.  Some were very nice though.  If you have a list of complexes your looking at I can let you know if I visited any of them.

I haven't looked yet, but I will. Probably won't be looking in Ann Arbor, though. Maybe I should stay through Sunday...

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2005, 07:19:36 PM »
I only visited a few apartments in Ann Arbor.  Most of the apartments I looked at were in Ypsi. 

LaneSwerver

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2005, 07:21:08 PM »
I only visited a few apartments in Ann Arbor.  Most of the apartments I looked at were in Ypsi. 

Thanks for the advice. I need to look at changing my flights...

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2005, 07:23:46 PM »
I would look at rent.com before you change anything.  There may only be a few that are appealing to you in the areas your looking at.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2005, 09:12:58 PM »
You have to consider the cost of gasoline.  It might be worth it to get something five minutes from campus, when you consider your fuel budget.