Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: These Damn Gas Prices  (Read 1835 times)

jgruber

Re: These Damn Gas Prices
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 09:28:35 AM »
Good luck getting a prius.  They have stopped taking orders for 2004

I'm getting about 50 mpg on mine now.

Cherry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2004, 09:31:37 AM »
/sigh

I know what you mean about gas prices, I am driving out to my school on the weekends (5 hours there and another 5 hours back) and even in my Saturn (which has GREAT gas milage) I am paying about $70 for the trip just in gas.

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2004, 10:30:07 AM »
I get 70 mpg on my motorcycle, so now I basically ride it everywhere.  It helps balance out the 25 mpg of my family car.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2004, 10:46:29 AM »
Well, since OPEC has allowed the flood gates of production to be wide open, we should see a pretty good decrease in gas prices within the next week or so.

I get 16 mpg in my Cherokee.  Gas is at $1.91 where I live, so it could be worse for me...but it still sucks.  Man..I can remember when gas was 87 cents a gallon..that's when I started driving.  My Chevelle gets 6 mpg...so it stays in the driveway most of the time.
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

jbshane

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 10:49:23 AM »
Living in the city during this gas craze is fantastic.  I take the T everywhere - it's around $40 a month for a pass.

I think I put 7500 miles on my car last year - that's it.  Most of the time, it sits parked on the street because a.) I don't need a car everyday where I live and work, b.) finding parking in Boston is like finding gold - once you have a spot, you're very hesitant to leave it, and c.) gas prices are ridiculous.

I feel sorry for everyone that has to drive to work while gas prices skyrocket.  Just be thankful that gas is still as cheap as it is compared to, say, the UK.  When I was living in London in 2000, it cost about 80 pence per liter.  That works out to about 3 pounds per gallon, or (with the conversion rate as of 2000) about $5/gallon.  I can't even imagine what it is now!

jgruber

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 10:50:10 AM »
I heard a report on the radio that OPEC actions may not change the price of gas.  There's the issue of refinery capacity, the issue of OPEC understating production levels and the psychological aspect in fear of instablitiy in the middle east (situation in Iraq and Isreal/Gaza)

Well, since OPEC has allowed the flood gates of production to be wide open, we should see a pretty good decrease in gas prices within the next week or so.

I get 16 mpg in my Cherokee.  Gas is at $1.91 where I live, so it could be worse for me...but it still sucks.  Man..I can remember when gas was 87 cents a gallon..that's when I started driving.  My Chevelle gets 6 mpg...so it stays in the driveway most of the time.

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 10:53:05 AM »
That wouldn't be Kai Ryssdal that told you that.  ;) I caught the Marketplace Morning Report too on the way to work.
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

jgruber

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 10:55:10 AM »
That wouldn't be Kai Ryssdal that told you that.  ;) I caught the Marketplace Morning Report too on the way to work.

I'm not sure who it was.  I drivae through some remote areas during my 75 mile commute and it fades in and out.  It mighta been him.

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 10:57:32 AM »
Well, one would assume with more production, the cost per barrel would have to decrease.  The "supply and demand" that they have been leaning on to justify the drastic increase in barrel prices has to be used in the same manner when oil production is increased.  As long as the attacks on refineries subside, I think we'll see a decrease in gas prices. 

There are ways of making gasoline engines get better gas mileage...or stop using gas all together and go with propane.  It's a simple conversion and runs great.  Heck..you even get a tax break with a propane run vehicle.
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 01:46:30 PM »

Someone who chooses to drive a 16mpg car does not have any right to complain about gas prices.