Law School Discussion

USC dilemma

jdohno

• View Profile
Re: USC dilemma
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 02:43:28 PM »
Yeah but the OP wants to work in the entertainment industry. You can't get any closer than going to USC. There are so many entertainment companies and firms that the OP can intern with in the summer. And USC is ranked #18 and it may be considered "regional." But it places well regionally. Something like 1 out of every 4 lawyers in Los Angeles are USC graduates. That's a great alumni base. Georgia State is ranked #85 tied with a bunch of really regional schools. The goal of law school is to have a job after you are done. So it helps to go to the higher ranked school and a school that puts you in a great position to get a job. You have 30 years to pay off your student loans. I'm sure the OP will be able to paid off her student loans from USC in 30 years. Wow, I can't believe I'm defending USC.  ;)

I'm going to go ahead and be the sole voice of dissent. Considering you already have $50K in student loans, my vote goes for Georgia State -- assuming you wouldn't mind working in the South. Yes, you're going to get more opportunities by going to USC; I just don't think that's worth another $180K in loans when you could be happy and (relatively) debt-free in Atlanta. It basically comes down to paying off $230K while in LA, or paying off $50K in Atlanta. If it were a top 14 school my opinion might be different, but USC is still primarily a "regional" school, no matter how strong. 

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: USC dilemma
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 02:58:37 PM »
If you want to go into Entertainment Law, there's no better place than SoCal.  Period.  90% of all entertainment lawyers work out of LA.  NYC is not as big of entertainment law spot as most people believe.  Most of the work there relates to "stage" law, whereas most of the music, screen, and TV work is in LA.  (Before some know-it-all jumps down my throat, I am literally quoting information given to me by a top LA entertainment lawyer and a top SF entertainment lawyer both of whom came to speak on a panel at my school.)  If you want the big bucks, you have to work on the industry rather than on the talent side.  And you have to start networking early -- getting internships at production studios' legal departments, meeting local entertainment lawyers and going to regional conferences early in your career.  More so than in any other area of law, in entertainment law, networking is key.  Hands down, USC.

Much Dirrty South Love.