Law School Discussion

USC dilemma

USC dilemma
« on: May 07, 2005, 02:14:46 PM »
First, Hello to all--I've been checking out this board and there are a lot of good discussions and some great acceptances.

I am debating on whether or not I will attend USC (which i haven't had a chance to visit) 
or stay home in the South and go to school for free.

I know several posts have referenced USC, but is anyone going there or have any more info to share about the school/city.
Most people on the main board are quick to shoot it down becaue to them it is in a "bad neighborhood". I would like to hear thoughts from a different perspective.

I paid my deposit at GA state just in case things don't work out in Cali (money wise), but I have until May 31st to make a decision about USC. I have over $50,000 in student loans from attending a private undergrad, and would have to borrow almost all to attend USC.
(BTW I am interested in working in the entertainment industry)

Any insight about the school would be appreciated, and again congrats to everyone on their many great acceptances and successful 1st year in school. ;)

elegantpearl01

Re: USC dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 04:26:18 PM »
If you can visit the school and get a feel for it...that goes a LONG way in determing whether you will be happy there.  Entertainment law is hard to break in, but it'll be easier being in NYC or Cali but Atlanta is fast becoming a "hot spot" too. One of my best friends went to Ga. State and loved her experience.  But you may LOVE USC and make many wonderful connections which will help you get into the "industry."  So, if you haven't already done so, try to visit the school. Talk to some of the current BLSA members there if you can. Additionally, ask the school to put you in touch with alumni, particuarly those who are in the entertainment industry.  I know the loans are a consideration, but you gotta go where you are going to be happy and where you can make the most connections for your future. 

Muse

• I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 04:48:55 PM »
I actually attend USC as an undergrad and let me say that the school is actually pretty safe. The administration is very nice and helpful from my personal experience. The neighborhood isn't has bad as people make it out to be. In fact we are experience a gentrification process...(which is another discussion). If you want to go into entertainment law, USC is the place to be. I believe USC is ranked in the top 3 for entertainment law programs so go for it. On top of that our alumni network is one of the best in the nation. I almost considered staying at USC because my experience at the school has been extremely positive. However I'm interested in international law and I need to go back east for that. If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me. I have some friends who are currently in the law school right now who might be of some help.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 06:22:00 PM »
Thanks for your repsonses, That's just the information that I was looking for as I make my decision.

elegantpearl01

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 06:30:34 PM »
Don't let folks talking about it being in a certain neighborhood sway you or even the loans(unless you are going to be a prosecutor/public defender or something in public interest...if that was your plan, I'd say be careful because those loans are beast). If you get a good "feel" for the school, go for it if it will help you land a job in your field. I'd never encourage you not to go the school tops in your field...there are certain schools who are leaders in certain specialities. And it's always good to go to school where you can make the most job contacts.

Muse

• I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 06:35:47 PM »
My opinion is biased but I say put your deposit down on USC. On top of that they have a strong BLSA and the law school is very diverse. USC makes an effort to recruit minorities, especially black students from all over the country. Also the environment of the school is very laid back. You don't have to worry about books disappearing or cut throat competition.  :)

elegantpearl01

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 06:41:05 PM »
The stealing of books/outlines is a trip...I did know someone who had their palm pilot stolen in law school, I still contend it was because it was in Gucci case...lmao....But if the atmosphere is good, you can swing the funding, go to USC. Pray on it, you will reach the right decision. Let us know what you decide to do. 

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 10:48:47 AM »
Thanks again for all of your advice.

I have mailed my deposit to USC and unless something extreme occurs (like getting off the Vanderbilt waitlist AND being awarded a full ride)
I will be headed to California to start this law school adventure on my own this fall.

jdohno

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 02:12:44 PM »
Ugh. It's hard for me to say this. I went to UCLA and I don't like USC at all.  ;D But you made a good choice with USC vs Georgia State. Just use common sense over there at night but USC is not in a really bad area. I used to go visit friends at USC all the time. In fact, not too far from the law school, there is this hair care place that has EVERYTHING. It's on Vermont. I would go there all the time for my hair stuff. Good luck at school.

Thanks again for all of your advice.

I have mailed my deposit to USC and unless something extreme occurs (like getting off the Vanderbilt waitlist AND being awarded a full ride)
I will be headed to California to start this law school adventure on my own this fall.

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 02:25:06 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and be the sole voice of dissent. Considering you already have $50K in student loans, my vote goes for Georgia State -- assuming you wouldn't mind working in the South. Yes, you're going to get more opportunities by going to USC; I just don't think that's worth another $180K in loans when you could be happy and (relatively) debt-free in Atlanta. It basically comes down to paying off $230K while in LA, or paying off $50K in Atlanta. If it were a top 14 school my opinion might be different, but USC is still primarily a "regional" school, no matter how strong.