Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Snitch B*tch Hoe  (Read 819 times)

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
Snitch B*tch Hoe
« on: May 07, 2005, 02:32:27 PM »
I don't know if this has been posted here yet. Something to look forward to when you're clerking for a judge on the US Court of Appeals!

"The trial transcript quotes Ms. Hayden as saying Murphy called her a snitch female dog "hoe." A "hoe," of course, is a tool used for weeding and gardening. We think the court reporter, unfamiliar with rap music (perhaps thankfully so), misunderstood Hayden's response. We have taken the liberty of changing "hoe" to "ho," a staple of rap music vernacular as, for example, when Ludacris raps 'You doin' ho activities with ho tendencies.'" - United States v. Murphy, 2005 U.S.App.LEXIS 7695 (May 4, 2005), footnote 1

DodgerLaw

Re: Snitch B*tch Hoe
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 02:38:24 PM »
Shouldn't it be "ho'"?

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 02:40:07 PM »
Shouldn't it be "ho'"?

I don't know. I wonder if that's the kind of thing that you can dictionary.com? Maybe OED?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 02:42:58 PM »
Shouldn't it be "ho'"?

not that point of footnote?

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 02:44:29 PM »
From Oxford English Dictionary

"ho"

derogatory. A sexually promiscuous woman; (also, sometimes with weakened force) a woman.

1964 R. D. ABRAHAMS Deep down in Jungle Gloss. 266 Main who', best girlfriend. 1988 R. WALTERS Treat her like Prostitute (song) in L. A. Stanley Rap: the Lyrics (1992) 298 Now your girl she don't like to have sex a lot And today she's ready and she's hot hot hot... Next thing you know the ho starts to ill She says, ‘I love you, Harold’ and your name is Will. 1992 Esquire July 14/2 What is surprising is Esquire's stereotypical portrayal of black women as oversexed ‘hos’a depiction that was used to justify the raping of black women throughout slavery. 1995 Wire Jan. 24/2 In the next verse or the one after, there was a lot of stuff about beating the *&^% out of your 'ho if she hasn't got a meal waiting for you when you get home. 2000 Elle Sept. 283, I tend to design for ghetto fabulous ‘ho's’, pop divas and Portobello babes.

2. A prostitute.

1965 W. KING in Liberator Aug. 22/2 Let me cop a Benny Franklin until my whoe brings me some dough. 1967 B. DYLAN Tiny Montgomery (song) in Basement Tapes (1975) (sheet music), Three-legged man And a hot-lipped hoe Tell 'em all Montgomery says hello. 1974 Black World Aug. 55 ‘Damn!’ he thought, ‘times are so tight even the ho's are working double shifts.’ 1988 L. PARKER Jimmy (song) in L. A. Stanley Rap: the Lyrics (1992) 44 Here is a message to the super hos Just keep in mind When Jimmy grows It grows and grows and grows. 1994 Straight No Chaser Summer 17/1 It's fat like a $20 ho sittin' on yo face. 2000 N.Y. Times Mag. 6 Aug. 40/3 He be pimpin' hos and everything.

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 02:50:32 PM »
I heard Peter Jennings on the evening news describe a mummy's coffin as having a great deal of 'bling'. That was a sad day.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 02:52:23 PM »
especially considering source.

DodgerLaw

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 03:04:13 PM »
Shouldn't it be "ho'"?

not that point of footnote?

Julie, I am surprised at your lack of attention to detail. I added an apostrophe.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 04:20:47 PM »
awesome

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 05:01:58 PM »
ooh that one's good. I also enjoy this one. In New York, a man contracted to purchase a house for $650,000. He later found out that the house was haunted by a poltergeist and sued to have the contract dissolved. Here's what the court had to say:

"While I agree with the Supreme Court [i.e., the trial court in New York] that the real estate broker, as agent for the seller, is under no duty to disclose to a potential buyer the phantasmal reputation of the premises and that, in his pursuit of a legal remedy for fraudulent misrepresentation against the seller, plaintiff hasn't a ghost of a chance, I am nevertheless moved by the spirit of equity to allow the buyer to seek recission of the contract of sale and recovery of his down payment. New York law fails to recognize [this...] therefore, the theoretical basis for granting relief, even under the extraordinary facts of this case, is elusive, if not ephemeral.

'Pity me not but
lend thy serious hearing to what I shall unfold'
(William Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act I, Scene V. [Ghost])

[...]

In the interest of avoiding such untenable consequences, the notion that a haunting is a condition which can and should be ascertained upon reasonable inspection of the premises is a hobgoblin which should be exorcised from the body of legal precedent and laid quietly to rest."

-- Supreme Court of New York, Appellate Division, First Department, 1991