Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UC Davis vs. Loyola LA. Anyone?  (Read 9075 times)

jdw112

Re: UC Davis vs. Loyola LA. Anyone?
« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2005, 10:25:57 PM »
Nah, I was just curious. You guys were discussing acceptance rates, but the yield is also important. It isn't only about who they accept, but also who accepts them. And it seems like Loyola lures remarkably more of its admittees.

Candide!, do you know the yields for these programs?

yes, Davis has a 24% yield for 2004 (193 out of 800 accepted)

Loyola has a 34% yield for 2004 (325 out of 950 accepted)

any other questions I can answer for ya?

Candide!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yoda, kickin butt as a 1L gunner!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ktjordan78
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2005, 04:41:00 AM »

I got the lsat/gpa info from the davis website.  as you all know, the numbers LSAC and US News have are a couple years old (the latter is newer, but still old enough to not apply anymore). 

anner:
"Although, just to set you straight, their numbers are 162-166 for lsats, with much higher GPAs. So give 'em some credit:)"

i give them credit for fooling you

not to rain on your parade, but the stats that are listed on davis' website are

"For Offers of Admission to the Class Entering Fall 2004."

25th percentile < 50th percentile 75th percentile
GPA 3.46         < 3.64            3.77

LSAT 162         < 164              166

note the word "OFFERS" not "MATRICULATED STUDENTS"

the current, (and correct) MATRICULATED numbers are what i posted before, which are noticably lower, and noticably closer to Loyola's

25%                              75%
GPA 3.39                             3.72
Lsat 160                             164

that was davis' tricky little way of tweaking the system and boosting thier reputaion(something you accuse Loyola of doing alot)
naturally you eat up every word your chosen school feeds you with a spoon, even if it IS a misrepresentation of the truth

*zinger

anner, i have no problems with you preffering davis for your legal education. just dont go around puffing out your chest boasting about how dramitcally better the school is, when you really dont have a decent leg to stand on in that regard.

*peace out*
Loyola (Los Angeles) '08

Hegel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2005, 02:53:51 PM »
Candide!, do you know the yields for these programs?

yes, Davis has a 24% yield for 2004 (193 out of 800 accepted)

Loyola has a 34% yield for 2004 (325 out of 950 accepted)

any other questions I can answer for ya?

Doesn't this settle the debate?  Davis is almost 50% more selective than Loyola.  Shouldn't the massive dollars thrown arouind by Loyola for candidates that are marginal at Davis tilt the numbers toward Davis as well?

jdw112

« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2005, 03:01:07 PM »
I don't think the numbers say that. They are similar in terms of the percentage of applicants offered admission, but Loyola actually enrolls a greater percentage of its acceptances. Since the applicant pools at these schools are similar, I think it means Loyola is more successful at pulling candidates with similar numbers. I could be off base here. If so, someone will straighten me out.

Edit: cleaned it up a bit.

Hegel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2005, 03:16:36 PM »
Oops. I should have read more carefully.  You are right.  The yield suggests Davis is having a harder time getting their admitted students to attend. 

However, my point stands that the money thrown around by Loyola could be shifting the numbers further in their favor.  Also, since Davis has fewer slots to fill, they can take more chances on students with higher numbers as evidenced by their .25 higher 25% GPA number.

It is hard to compare the numbers also, since LA is such a desirable place to live for so many people.  Actually, I think Davis is a fantastic town to attend school with all of the cool bike paths and cheaper cost of living.  Of course, I am not an urban jungle type of person, so Loyola doesn't appeal to me.

Candide!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2005, 03:22:41 PM »
Oops. I should have read more carefully.  You are right.  The yield suggests Davis is having a harder time getting their admitted students to attend. 

However, my point stands that the money thrown around by Loyola could be shifting the numbers further in their favor.  Also, since Davis has fewer slots to fill, they can take more chances on students with higher numbers as evidenced by their .25 higher 25% GPA number.

It is hard to compare the numbers also, since LA is such a desirable place to live for so many people.  Actually, I think Davis is a fantastic town to attend school with all of the cool bike paths and cheaper cost of living.  Of course, I am not an urban jungle type of person, so Loyola doesn't appeal to me.

as with any popular/urban setting law school, of course loyolas location is a draw. LA is the 2nd largest legal market in the country and has fabulous weather.

82% of Davis students recieve grants from the school

13% of Loyola students recieve grants from the school
this means that 87% of Loyola students are paying full tuition to attend
Loyola (Los Angeles) '08

anner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2005, 06:18:50 PM »
hey arewethereyet.  Yeh, I posted this a long time ago, before i went to visit.  my net was down so I didnt get a chance to see the responses until way later. 

:)
big. fat. manly.

Candide!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2005, 06:08:13 PM »
anner, hey whats the point of spending time researching and then being on the wining side of a debate only to have your "opponent" ignore your closing statement and only reply to some old, insignifigant post written by someone else.

thats no fun! :)
Loyola (Los Angeles) '08