Law School Discussion

UC Davis vs. Loyola LA. Anyone?

_____

• View Profile
Re: UC Davis vs. Loyola LA. Anyone?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2005, 05:38:29 PM »

Yeah, but that's 13k EVERY YEAR, for the rest of your life...

Just a thought...

not a very good one.

you will be spening that 13k paying off $1000/mo in loands for 5 years (1 x 12(mos)= 12k a year. 12 x 5 = 60, which is how much more davis costs....)

lets call that, for fun, a break even. of course we are ALSO assuming that person "X" will land at the direct middle of thier class whether they go to davis or loyola, which is simply not likely...that person, with a full ride scholarship to loyola is extremely likly, stats wise, to end up closer to the top at loyola, thereby making more $.

so there there you are, 5 years outa school.....at that point where you went matters no longer. your career for the last 5 years is what now determines your salary, partnership, etc.

only a person that has never really had a job before would be SO NAIVE as to think that your first starting salary out of school ACTUALLY pretermines your salaries for the rest of your life! HAHA

um yeah, we all get a job right out of law school and there it is! our salary for the rest of our life! LOL

That's not what I meant...Salaries change over time, duh.  Just that you might as well take a leg up where you can...

I mean, in general, if you have a salary of X, it tends to go up over time (assuming you stay in the same profession and don't suddenly switch to public interest or something, where it might take a dip).

So if you have a salary of X, and it is going to go up over time, why would you choose to pick X-13 as your base?

You said it yourself, you break even after 5 years due to the difference, and from there it's nowhere but up--with a 13k difference built in.

again, you are (poorly) assuming that the same person will endup making the schools average no matter where you go.

lets just be CRAZY and assume this same person does well at both schools (after all they ARE a full tuition scholar! i know it is crazy to think that person might do well at a school, but humor me)

that same person will have access to $100,000+ jobs at both schools, so why not go for the free option?

believe or not the school you go to does not make you a better lawyer. all it can do for you is open a few more doors, which can get you more money.

i dont know of a a better open door then a full ride (earns you/saves you TONS of cash - and THAT is set from the get go)

the very same work that would place someone at the middle of a loyola class will probably place someone below the median at ucd, right? just cause the schools median salaries are slightly different doesnt mean the same person coming out of either school will be making more or less either way.

surely this makes sense to you

Of course it does, but I don't believe in making forecasts where everything turns out super great or horribly dire.

I can't predict the future, and neither can you.  So what can we do?  Work with the averages.

There's a reason they talk about the "historical average" of 8% in the stock market and emphasize the fact that "past preformance is no guarantee of future results."

One just doesn't know what's coming--so you gotta take the middle road. Or at least I consider that a reasonable approach to decision making.  Perhaps you have your own processes.  All I'm doing is sharing mine.  You can choose to find they have merit, or dismiss them, as you have been.

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2005, 05:51:23 PM »
i am not worried about excelling in law school

some people might be.

i will take my law school free, thanks.

and i'll end up with all the great offers at the end, too.

and maybe i will decide that i DONT want to work 80 hours a week as a slave in a big law firm. I will have luxury of turning that down if i want to! why? because i wont have $100,000 of debt breathing down my back!

many people wont be so lucky, and will be forced to take the highest paying job they can because they need to make ends meet, with loan debt etc.

ahhhhhhhh, the luxury of having choices....

_____

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2005, 05:58:45 PM »
i am not worried about excelling in law school

some people might be.

i will take my law school free, thanks.

and i'll end up with all the great offers at the end, too.

and maybe i will decide that i DONT want to work 80 hours a week as a slave in a big law firm. I will have luxury of turning that down if i want to! why? because i wont have $100,000 of debt breathing down my back!

many people wont be so lucky, and will be forced to take the highest paying job they can because they need to make ends meet, with loan debt etc.

ahhhhhhhh, the luxury of having choices....

Go for it. Only you know what is best for you.

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2005, 11:30:05 PM »
I'd choose Davis.  Higher ranked and a UC school.  You can even transfer up from there if you do well 1L, if you wanted.

MoneyHungryGollum

• Da' Moneeeeeeeeee!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2005, 05:00:22 PM »
For what its worth the few Loyola students I have spoken to have far more negative comments to make about their expeirence than positive ones.

what say you ?  if you had a full ride at LMU law school, and had to pay in-state at davis- which would you pick?  FUdge placement by the way, i am convinced that loyola lies through their teeth to make the employment rate so high.  but really. Is the education better?  job prospects? rep?

ideas would be AWESOME:)

anner

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2005, 11:20:29 PM »
yeh, i have officially decided on davis.  It seems like people at loyola are always obsessed with saying rankings dont matter... but everyone i know who goes there wishes they went somewhere else '1st tier',  it has to mean something.  I met with the people at davis and was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO impressed.  You have NO idea what i have been dealing with at loyola, and after coming through it unscathed, i have to say that they are OBSESSED with saying their reputation is amazing, but the actual policy/practice within the school itself earns it a 2nd tier ranking. it should be 3rd, truthfully,  I really was just thinking of the $, but after seeing the other students, talking to the faculty, etc- I know that I am excited about davis.  And after grants and everything, i am not really paying much more.  maybe about $15k or less, and i figure since it fits me more, and I will be way happier (despite having to leave the house i love and renting it to a stranger), I know i will do better in school, which is what counts anyhow.

I will say i was kinda excited to meet other incoming 1L's.  there really is a difference when you go to more selective schools, and it is pretty obvious in this sense.  I just figure, since i am gonna spend so much time in school, i might as well surround myself with people who challenge me.

yay.  glad to make a decision:)

good luck everyone! are you excited to get into school already or what?!!?!?

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2005, 12:04:59 AM »
HOLY COW! LOL

from the way you talk you would think God took a big stinky nutty $HIT right in the middle of downtown LA and decided to name it Loyola Law School just for fun! HAHA

i dont believe i have seen such juvenile/uncalled for hate/flame since the last time i went over to xoxo ::)

well, you will have fun davis, i am sure. it is a good school.

and dont you worry your pretty little head for us retarded, moronic, idiotic brain donors over at loyola! SOMEHOW we will all be able to pull our heads out of or A$$es one day and will do just fine....

as i have stated before, the lsat/gpa differences at the schools are pretty minimal (3.39-3.72 vs 3.14-3.58   and  160-164 vs 159-164) to this day i have yet to hear anner take mention of how such a subtle difference in numbers can be so "OBVIOUSLY" reflected in her experiences in regards to the student body quality. but oh well! flame works in mysterious ways, i suppose...

ps- the only full timer i talked to about school options at the loyola reception turned down davis for loyola, so i imagine the student body cant be as absolutly lame as you predict. only time will tell, eh?

see ya in the courts!

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2005, 05:54:58 AM »
yeh, i have officially decided on davis.  It seems like people at loyola are always obsessed with saying rankings dont matter... but everyone i know who goes there wishes they went somewhere else '1st tier',  it has to mean something.  I met with the people at davis and was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO impressed.  You have NO idea what i have been dealing with at loyola, and after coming through it unscathed, i have to say that they are OBSESSED with saying their reputation is amazing, but the actual policy/practice within the school itself earns it a 2nd tier ranking. it should be 3rd, truthfully,  I really was just thinking of the $, but after seeing the other students, talking to the faculty, etc- I know that I am excited about davis.  And after grants and everything, i am not really paying much more.  maybe about $15k or less, and i figure since it fits me more, and I will be way happier (despite having to leave the house i love and renting it to a stranger), I know i will do better in school, which is what counts anyhow.

I will say i was kinda excited to meet other incoming 1L's.  there really is a difference when you go to more selective schools, and it is pretty obvious in this sense.  I just figure, since i am gonna spend so much time in school, i might as well surround myself with people who challenge me.

yay.  glad to make a decision:)

good luck everyone! are you excited to get into school already or what?!!?!?

Good luck at Davis!

I guess you must think I'm really an idiot to turn down a few 1st tier schools to [probably] go to Loyola. 

On a side note, where's your house?  I'm moving and need a place in LA...

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2005, 08:47:51 AM »
HOLY COW! LOL

from the way you talk you think think God took a big stinky nutty $HIT right in the middle of downtown LA and decided to name it Loyola Law School just for fun! HAHA

i dont believe i have seen such juvenile/uncalled for hate/flame since the last time i went over to xoxo ::)

well, you will have fun davis, i am sure. it is a good school.

and dont you worry your pretty little head for us retarded, moronic, idiotic brain donors over at loyola! SOMEHOW we will all be able to pull our heads out of or A$$es one day and will do just fine....

as i have stated before, the lsat/gpa differences at the schools are pretty minimal (3.39-3.72 vs 3.14-3.58   and  160-164 vs 159-164) to this day i have yet to hear anner take mention of how such a subtle difference in numbers can be so "OBVIOUSLY" reflected in her experiences in regards to the student body quality. but oh well! flame works in mysterious ways, i suppose...

ps- the only full timer i talked to about school options at the loyola reception durned down davis for loyola, so i imagine the student body cant be as absolutly lame as you predict. only time will tell, eh?

see ya in the courts!

lol, bump!  I myself had a negative experience visiting davis.  However, I didn't post it and bash people's school like Suzy Sunshine up there.  How lovely!!  ::)

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2005, 12:22:15 PM »
so anner, besides my request for you to answer how schools with such similar numbers have such drastically different quality student bodies.....

i have another question.

did you ACTUALLY recieve money from loyola? becuase i know initially you were not given ANYTHING, and that they said you were on thier list they would potentially tap if people turned down the scholarships.

it KIND OF eludes to the fact that you DID get a full ride in your OP, not not REALLY. and your LSN page has mention of $ at a bunch of schools, but not loyola. why??

the anger i hear raging out of you just doesnt sound like the kinda stuff someone says about a school ranked 3rd in the city they want to live in , that ALSO was generous enough to give them a full ride scholarship....

forgive me, but the pieces just arent adding up correctly for me.

i FEEL like what i see is a someone who was told they MIGHT get a schiolarship initially, in the end was not offered one, and now she has a MONSTER vendetta against the school for dragging her along.

call me crazy, but that is the vibe.