Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UC Davis vs. Loyola LA. Anyone?  (Read 9014 times)

anner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
UC Davis vs. Loyola LA. Anyone?
« on: May 07, 2005, 02:30:20 AM »
what say you ?  if you had a full ride at LMU law school, and had to pay in-state at davis- which would you pick?  FUdge placement by the way, i am convinced that loyola lies through their teeth to make the employment rate so high.  but really. Is the education better?  job prospects? rep?

ideas would be AWESOME:)
big. fat. manly.

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
Re: UC Davis vs. Loyola LA. Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 06:52:56 PM »
Davis. Loyola is a nice school but do you really want to go to law school in an armored compound in an LA ghetto? UC Davis is going to have better statewide and national employment though I imagine theyd be similar in L.A.

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 07:03:12 PM »
do you have a full ride at loyola?

if so, then loyola, particularly if you are interested in ending up in socal.

the last time i snubbed my nose up at saving $60,000 was, um lets see...never.

people around here are very fearless about saying they would just pick a higher ranked school, but the savings, in this case, outweighs the "value"     davis isnt boalt.

and a full scholarship at most schools (including loyola) come with a nice title, like fritz burns scholar, for instance. that is a DEFFINATE star on a resume, and instantly illiminates any "second tier" candidate worries one might be afraid of coming from loyola.

anner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 10:50:51 PM »
dave- that is such a cool pic.  rock on!
big. fat. manly.

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Citizen
  • We should all do our part...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 02:14:47 AM »
Davis. Loyola is a nice school but do you really want to go to law school in an armored compound in an LA ghetto? UC Davis is going to have better statewide and national employment though I imagine theyd be similar in L.A.

Is this merely anecdotal or do you have any actual data?

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 04:22:56 AM »

better national employment? though true, that is deceptive to say, because davis does not have good national placement....just "better" than loyola

and loyola places better, pound for pound, in LA/SD

and this isnt my opinion, but all of the loyola students i have hear of love the campus. i have not been there on a daily basis to know how it feels, but students seem to be quick to criticize a crummy building/campus at other schools. i dont know why, but lls students seem to like the campus, despite the neighborhood...

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 11:02:24 AM »
According to vault.com Latham & Williams is the highest ranked biglaw firm in Los Angeles and all of California. They have 2 associates and 2 partners from Loyola. 11 Associates and 7 partners from UC Davis. Davis is ranked 32, loyola 58. According to martindale there are more lawyers from Davis than Loyola in San Diego.

I'm not saying loyola is a bad school, just that davis is a better one. I am not going to either.

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Citizen
  • We should all do our part...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 12:31:37 PM »
According to vault.com Latham & Williams is the highest ranked biglaw firm in Los Angeles and all of California. They have 2 associates and 2 partners from Loyola. 11 Associates and 7 partners from UC Davis. Davis is ranked 32, loyola 58. According to martindale there are more lawyers from Davis than Loyola in San Diego.

I'm not saying loyola is a bad school, just that davis is a better one. I am not going to either.

I believe it's actually "Latham & Watkins." But going beyond that, let's look at O'Melveny & Myers. They aren't the largest firm in California, but they are large enough for most. Their L.A. office includes 32 Loyola L.A. attorneys, which is the same number of Harvard grads there. In fact, LLS has more grads there than each of UCLA, Boalt, USC, Yale, Stanford, Hastings, Columbia, UVa, Michigan, and so on. For the record, Davis must have less than 3 grads there, since the list I have includes every school with 3 or more attorneys at the L.A. office. Does the fact that Loyola L.A. has more grads at the L.A. office than every other school with the exception of Harvard mean that it places better in California than those schools? Of course not. This isnít enough even to say Loyola L.A. places better in Los Angeles. But this is a problem you have when you base an argument on a single firm. Granted, you figured Loyola L.A. and Davis would be similar in Los Angeles, but according to the info I have, Loyola must have at least 15x as many attorneys there. So while you have successfully demonstrated that Davis probably places better than Loyola L.A. at Latham & Watkins, you have yet to demonstrate with data that either one places better overall in California.  Your claim may in fact be true, but you need more data.

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 12:55:58 PM »
I don't care enough to find more data, but if you honestly think loyola would place better than UC davis in major california firms outside of LA you are deluding yourself. I'm sure you and UCLA will do fine at loyola.

anner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 02:20:27 PM »
I do think davis grads go elsewhere, and considering the difference in class size alone at LLS and Davis,   it makes sense.  I just talked to my entertainment lawyer friend, and he gave me a good reaosn not to go to loyola.  Although most people don't care about where you go to law school, they do at the same time.  I could get hired at a big firm with good experience no matter what, but he was saying that when you are recently out of law school, it really matters.  He was at a big firm for a few years earlier on, and he used to help out with the interviews.  He said that one time they interviewed a loyola grad who somehow knew someone who knew someone well enough to get him an interview.  After meeting him, everyone discussed what they thoguht.  They liked him, and then one of the partners ended up saying nay- he went to Loyola.  That was it, no job.  He might not have been in the top of his class, or he might have, there are a lot of different factors that i have no clue about.  But he did say that a lot of firms wont even bother interivewing unless the graduate was in the TOP of there class- as in # 1-#5.  That the name itself is enough of a turnoff...  I know that is one person.  My family keeps reminding me of that hoping i will stay here.  But there is an obvious difference between the students at LLS vs. first tier schools.  It is fairly obvious, actually.  I dunno, part of me was hoping i would hear something that could redeem their reputation, but all in all its the same old stuff.  I dont careabout the fact that it is in the middle of the ghetto, or that their buildings were designed by a rockstar architect.  Everyone there either seems to think they should have gotten in to a better school, or they are thrilled because they did much better on the LSAT than they hoped and a 159 with a 3.0 GPA is enough to get in.  It just seems sketchy to me.  But after seeing the same facts used in defense of LLS that still don't really make me believe it will get me anywhere, its painfully obvious to me that its not the right choice. 

grr.  i don't wanna move but i guess its time for me to buy a bicycle to fit in with the hippies at Davis. :)
big. fat. manly.