Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Have A Horrible Job??  (Read 2246 times)

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have A Horrible Job??
« on: May 06, 2005, 09:21:35 PM »
Ok.  I sell appliances at Best Buy.  Let me repeat that.  I talk about refrigerators/ranges/dishwashers ALL DAY.  Since I graduated in December, I have gone full time until I start up law school in August.  I will give you a moment to fathom the torture I endure for 40 hours a week. 

To make matters worse, the customers I deal with day in and day out make up 90% of the adult diaper market.  Further, the fact that I know I am going to law school in the fall has taken any interest I once had in this job away.  Thank the Lord for LSD to get me through this job.
pudding is delightful

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
Re: Have A Horrible Job??
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 09:27:39 PM »
I work for a University and manage a staff of 75-100 college students. I'm responsible for all personnel decisions. I am the only professional responsible for these employees, so everything, and I mean everything has to go through me. It's probably not as annoying on average as your job at BB, but let me tell you, there are some days when I'm close to the edge. And the kids don't get that they shouldn't push me. As a matter of fact, they don't even realize when they are pushing me.  :) It's fun all day.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 09:35:05 PM »
It sounds like your job at least places a significant amount of responsibility on your head.  Now when my boss tells me to clean the dust off of an old display range we have... keep in mind this is a man who barely graduated from high school... I cannot help but ask myself, why the hell am I here? 

pudding is delightful

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 09:43:55 PM »
Well, when I was actively trying to be as productive and professional as Homer Simpson, I liked my job.

Since being asked to train new employees and write the manual for all of our procedures and programs, I was mistakenly under the impression that acting professionally was okay.

Well, today I find out that because I want to actually do my job, expect to do it well and on time, and do it without galavanting around . . . drum roll please. . . everyone in my department, without exception hates me (specifically my personality). My boss told me this in a 3-hour-waste-of-time conversation. My husband says not to take it personally--HA! Lovely Friday.

The good news is, I now know never to work for a place that says "we're like family" because it translates to we're dysfunctional, catty, lazy, and back-stabbing (amazingly similar to my actual family).

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 09:53:22 PM »
I think I'm still in the lead!!      :-X
pudding is delightful

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 10:59:20 PM »
Yes brewha, you officially have the worst job on the board (so far.)

And Scurvy, I soooooooo no how you feel. I was a good employee, a very good employee at my last job (and for that matter my current job, but they appreciate it.)

I worked for the most awful, horrible, backstabbing creeps in the business. I kept saying "one day I'm going to just leave this place and they will be sorry." But then the "sensible" DB would hit me and I'd stay a while longer.

Anyway, one day I did it. I up and quit.W ith no back-up plan. It was very liberating. I think I shocked everyone because they saw me as "good old reliable DB," who would always be around to use and abuse.
Fortunately I found my new job quickly.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Precise

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 11:26:08 PM »

at least you get a 50 percent employee discount, right?

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 01:36:46 AM »
Looking over my posts tonight I seem to be misspelling a bunch of stuff. I can spell, I swear (I hope I spelled misspell right).
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 02:04:09 AM »

at least you get a 50 percent employee discount, right?

The discount is the only thing that keeps me sane.  Today I just bought the movies Zoolander and National Treasure.  I also bought an HP laptop for the upcomming law school career... full price is a terrible thing, thank you Best Buy for compensating me for my troubles.
pudding is delightful

Coyote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 08:13:46 AM »
Okay.

1. Rotating shift work.  I'm either in at 5:30 AM (start hitting the snooze around 3:30), or I'm here until 11 PM.
2. Rotating days off.  I get a weekend about once every 6 weeks.
3. Overtime as a "condition of employment."  Sometimes this means being held after my shift (shift = 9 hours + 30 minute unpaid lunch) for 3 or 4 hours.  Sometimes this means being ordered in on my day off.  FLSA does not apply to my position.
4. I'm either in secondary or in a booth.  In a booth, I talk to one person after another for 3 and 4 hour stretches.  Thousands of people.  Why do you come to the United States, etc.  For every one, I ask questions, stamp, write, take prints and a photo.  Print machine is funny - sometimes it reads, sometimes it doesn't.  Press a little harder, please.  No, your left finger.  Korean translator to booth 5. 
5. I'm usually in "hard" secondary - occasionally there's something interesting, but for the most part, I break people to working.  Mostly the poor and ignorant.  You see them everyday - they're cutting your lawns, plucking your chickens, basically doing the jobs you don't want to do.
6. I'm good at my job.  I have a knack for "breaking" people.  These people will never get another visa.  Sometimes I bar them for 5 years, 10 years, or life (and occasionally set them up for prosecution - fines, jail, prison, etc.).  I break up families, ruin lives.
7. I have about 23 bosses.  In house.  That doesn't count my superiors in the field office and all the way up to Washington.

Top that.