Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: columbia  (Read 2905 times)

Aakash

• View Profile
columbia
« on: May 06, 2005, 05:09:15 PM »
received letter at permanent address.  letter sized envelope, thin.  had my dad read it to me.

this concludes my admissions cycle.  wow, i got my ass kicked.

hook 'em horns.

Aakash

• View Profile
Re: columbia
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 10:08:49 AM »
Yeah, I'm a bit disillusioned with the entire application system right now.  I thought I had strong enough numbers and soft factors for some of the schools that I was outright rejected from...

How do I look into my LORs?  The three professors that wrote them for me all liked me a whole lot, and I got As in all of them.  I've also always taken a small amount of pride in my writing, and I'm sure if nothing else, my essay certainly wasn't substandard, making my application look worse.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 10:33:07 AM »
while your LSAT score is decent (but not particularly strong for some of the higer ranked schools) and your GPA is very strong, i think you were hurt most by applying so late in the cycle.  by the time adcomms start considering applications that were submitted in late january, most schools have already made at least a couple rounds of decisions and the classes are probably more than half full.  to be a strong candidate at this stage in the cycle, i think you have to have both strong numbers and strong soft factors.

Aakash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 09:06:07 PM »
if i were a basketball player i'd play extra hard against every school that passed over me in this year's law school draft to make sure i beat em.

Thomas 239

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 01:25:38 AM »
You got into Cornell- the admissions cycle didn't really go that badly for you if you got into a top 14 school, at least in my opinion.
GPA: :/
LSAT: 171 (Oct. 05)

kristay

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 01:35:25 AM »
You got into Cornell- the admissions cycle didn't really go that badly for you if you got into a top 14 school, at least in my opinion.

While I agree with this, I definitely understand where the OP is coming from...he had strong enough #s to get into places that he was waitlisted and rejected at.  I do think applying late was part of the reason...but Cornell is an excellent school!

king

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 07:40:53 PM »
For those schools there are no automatic acceptances.  Numbers alone are never enough. 

Le Cygne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 05:53:29 PM »
With similar numbers (168/3.95) and the same late-application problem, I'm finding myself in a similar predicament (though no T14 acceptances for me).  :-\

If your waitlists don't work out and you aren't thrilled about Cornell (although it is a great school!), you could always do what I'm doing and consider applying again this November...

Cygne

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 06:13:24 PM »
For those schools there are no automatic acceptances.  Numbers alone are never enough. 

Yep--and that's why applying early is so important... My university (Berkeley) speficially recommended not applying any later than Thanksgiving...

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 04:55:55 PM »
All of you late appliers could have seen those WL turn into acceptances ...!

Glad to hear you're applying again, LeCygne. Good luck!

Annoduck: did I ever see you at Berkeley? I think you might be one year younger than me, but it seems we should have crossed paths ...