Total Members Voted: 42

$30k in loans @ Pitt vs. $150k in loans at Notre Dame

JDMonkey

• How hard can it be?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uteman13
    • View Profile
Re: $30k in loans @ Pitt vs. $150k in loans at Notre Dame
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2005, 10:26:46 PM »
I'm having a similiar dilemma, although perhaps in the oppossite way.  I've got a full-ride+ to Valparaiso, or I could accept no scholarship at George Mason.  Waitlisted at BYU, still waiting on response from Indiana - Bloomington.  It would be nice to skip the "it's national, no it's not" banter, and just get an up or down vote for what's on my plate.  I am not concerned about moving away from wherever I go to law school, I just want to get the best reputation & experience for the $. 

I'm all ears.  Peace, out.

-David

kristay

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2005, 10:30:09 PM »

They did their footwork. Pittsburgh has 35% of their grads leaving PA too. But it takes work.

P.S. Only about 30% of ND grads stay in Indiana/Illinois.  Which means about 70% work outside IL/IN.  This is a much larger percentage than Pittsburgh.

kristay

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2005, 10:32:46 PM »
I'm having a similiar dilemma, although perhaps in the oppossite way.  I've got a full-ride+ to Valparaiso, or I could accept no scholarship at George Mason.  Waitlisted at BYU, still waiting on response from Indiana - Bloomington.  It would be nice to skip the "it's national, no it's not" banter, and just get an up or down vote for what's on my plate.  I am not concerned about moving away from wherever I go to law school, I just want to get the best reputation & experience for the $. 

-David

The reason we have the national vs. regional debate is for ppl who want to practice outside the area the school is in.  It does make a difference. 

What are you looking for in a law school?   Are there any specific programs you liked at these schools?  Opportunities they offer that others don't?  Where do you want to practice?  Did you visit the schools?  Which school's atmosphere do you like more?

BTW, is it possible to gain in-state tuition for GMU after the first year?  THat would affect the price.

JDMonkey

• How hard can it be?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uteman13
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 10:44:44 PM »
Thanks Kristay.  Yes, it is totally possible to get residency after the first year at GMU.  I am looking for maximum reputation and ranking at the lowest possible cost.  I guess at this point, I am not entirely satisfied with the cost of GMU, or the apparent reputation of Valpo, but I am tending to go for the lower cost option of the two.  Indeed, if I thought I could get a better deal by applying in the next admissions cycle to different schools, I might do it.  I will be a Harvard grad in June, with honors and a 159 LSAT.  As always, I am always up for suggestions.

kristay

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2005, 10:48:16 PM »
Thanks Kristay.  Yes, it is totally possible to get residency after the first year at GMU.  I am looking for maximum reputation and ranking at the lowest possible cost.  I guess at this point, I am not entirely satisfied with the cost of GMU, or the apparent reputation of Valpo, but I am tending to go for the lower cost option of the two.  Indeed, if I thought I could get a better deal by applying in the next admissions cycle to different schools, I might do it.  I will be a Harvard grad in June, with honors and a 159 LSAT.  As always, I am always up for suggestions.

I might suggest retaking the LSAT, which I think is the advice most others will give you as well.  Harvard with honors is awesome and the only thing hurting you is your LSAT score.  Have you tried Powerscore's Logical Reasoning Bible and Logic Games Bible?  Or maybe testmasters if you have the money for it?  Also, when in the cycle did you apply?  If you applied late, you may want to consider reapplying next year earlier. 

What other schools were you thinking of applying to?

I actually know nothing about Valpo so I don't want to tell you to go to GMU just b/c I actually researched that school :P 

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2005, 07:32:17 AM »

-David

If you decide not to put off applying next cycle, I'd say go to GMU. Even out of state tuition is very resonable compared to most private schools (I think it's around 20K/yr). While I'm not sure how much mobility you'd have outside Northern VA/DC it's a much better school.

Either way, make sure you visit it before you turn down that free ride to Valpo...make sure it's a good fit.

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2005, 09:43:43 AM »
$30k in loans @ Pitt vs. $150k in loans at Notre Dame

22 year old, Pitt undergrad, with a scholarship, tuition, and health benefits at Pitt.  Accepted to ND off the provisional list.  Are the quality of education and career options at ND worth the loans?

Will visit ND in a week.

I think you'd be insane to pay an extra $120K to gain a few prestige points. You're in at a good school with money...if you do well, you'll be fine

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2005, 08:10:03 PM »
I know i'm a bit late in this thread...but for future reference:  none of you know what the hell you're talking about.  Only King Lear made any kind of logical sense when helping with this decision.

That's kind of why i barely post here...it's like the blind leading the blind (unlike xo, which has many of us who are already in law school or graduated).  Regardless, i'll be a sport and respond.

If you honestly want to stay in the Pittsburg area, and you don't care if you get a biglaw job or not, then maybe Pitt is actually a reasonable choice.  Otherwise, go to ND....ND is truly national (unlike what some people in this thread want you to believe).  For a 1L summer firm job, i had interviews in 4 states (IL, WA, OR, and TX).  Granted i have a tech background, but you still have to keep in mind i'm a 1L.  Now, what did the employers say about ND?  Nothing but good things actually....apparently it's very well regarded.  At one of the TX interviews (with a top vault firm), I was competing with 1Ls from Umich, UVirginia, and UT austin....just to be considered with that list speaks volumes about the school's reputation.

I guess the point of my post is that you shouldn't listen to what these people tell you.  Ask at xo (if you have the stomach for the hate messages you'll get) and you might get better informed opinions from people who actually know some of what they're talking about.

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2005, 09:42:30 PM »
I know i'm a bit late in this thread...but for future reference:  none of you know what the hell you're talking about.  Only King Lear made any kind of logical sense when helping with this decision.

That's kind of why i barely post here...it's like the blind leading the blind (unlike xo, which has many of us who are already in law school or graduated).  Regardless, i'll be a sport and respond.

If you honestly want to stay in the Pittsburg area, and you don't care if you get a biglaw job or not, then maybe Pitt is actually a reasonable choice.  Otherwise, go to ND....ND is truly national (unlike what some people in this thread want you to believe).  For a 1L summer firm job, i had interviews in 4 states (IL, WA, OR, and TX).  Granted i have a tech background, but you still have to keep in mind i'm a 1L.  Now, what did the employers say about ND?  Nothing but good things actually....apparently it's very well regarded.  At one of the TX interviews (with a top vault firm), I was competing with 1Ls from Umich, UVirginia, and UT austin....just to be considered with that list speaks volumes about the school's reputation.

I guess the point of my post is that you shouldn't listen to what these people tell you.  Ask at xo (if you have the stomach for the hate messages you'll get) and you might get better informed opinions from people who actually know some of what they're talking about.

I know this may sound a bit rude, but for future reference, your post loses any credibility it might've had by a) taking XOXO posters seriously; and b) it's PittsburgH, not "Pittsburg"

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2005, 10:10:59 PM »
I'm going through the same issue with GW with no scholarship v. Pitt with 20k or Indiana with $50k in loans. So while I can't be of extraordinary help to the original poster, I'm also concerned with the decision to make...any suggestions?

GW all the way, it's a top 20 school

look at its us news and world numbers - average starting salary, average job placement, bar passage rate, etc.

compare it side by side with any of the top twenty - hardly any difference whatsoever

pitt and indiana on the other hand ...

think of this in terms what you stand to save (through your enhanced earnings and job placement) in the long term, if that makes sense. it is easy to become too fixated on the short term benefits of what looks to be a nice scholarship