Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: non-lsat logic puzzle...who knows the answer?  (Read 1953 times)

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
non-lsat logic puzzle...who knows the answer?
« on: June 02, 2004, 03:34:32 PM »
On a train, Smithe, Robins, and John are the fireman, conductor, and the engineer, but NOT respectively. Also aboard the train are three businessmen who have the same names: a Mr. Smithe, a Mr. Robins, and a Mr. John.

Mr. Robins Lives in New York. The conductor lives exactly halfway between Columbus and New York. Mr. John earns exactly $20,000 per year. The conductor's nearest neighbor, one of the passengers, earns exactly three times as much as the conductor. Smithe beats the fireman in billiards. The passenger whose name is the same as the conductor's lives in Columbus.

Who is the Engineer?
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

jgomez

Re: non-lsat logic puzzle...who knows the answer?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 03:36:44 PM »
Smithe

On a train, Smithe, Robins, and John are the fireman, conductor, and the engineer, but NOT respectively. Also aboard the train are three businessmen who have the same names: a Mr. Smithe, a Mr. Robins, and a Mr. John.

Mr. Robins Lives in New York. The conductor lives exactly halfway between Columbus and New York. Mr. John earns exactly $20,000 per year. The conductor's nearest neighbor, one of the passengers, earns exactly three times as much as the conductor. Smithe beats the fireman in billiards. The passenger whose name is the same as the conductor's lives in Columbus.

Who is the Engineer?

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 03:45:12 PM »
why smithe?
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

jgomez

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 03:57:41 PM »
well, i think there are only two possibilities:
either John is fireman, Robins is in the engineer, and Smith is the conductor OR John is the conductor, Robins is the fireman, or Smith is the engineer.

for the 2nd possibility:
"The passenger whose name is the same as the conductor's lives in Columbus" so john lives in columbus, and lives "exactly halfway between Columbus and New York."  he also "earns exactly $20,000 per year."  robin and smith are equadistant from john, so that makes smith the nearest neighbor to john.  that would make smith make 3 times less than john, and beating him at billiards. 

since the 2nd possibility is good, i don't have to try the first one.  so i guessed smith.  it's just a guess though.

why smithe?