Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Have you told your boss that you're going to LS yet??  (Read 3235 times)

annchen

• My baby!
    • View Profile
Re: Have you told your boss that you're going to LS yet??
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2005, 06:48:58 PM »
I was planning on leaving my job in early July, but I finally talked to my boss about all of the summer projects that are lined up, and she responded, "Oh, we'll think of something" (meaning there's nothing planned, but she may be able to find some crap work to occupy my time).  Needless to say, I changed my plans and will probably be out of here by the end of the month, leaving me plenty of time to go on a road trip, go back home for awhile, and maybe, maybe get a dog that I can spend a few months with before getting into the LS grind...

Ah FREEDOM!!!  I love it.

ErinKG

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2005, 01:33:18 AM »
I agree with the person that said don't burn your bridges. I'm in a pretty high level position and Portland is a small city. I don't want to regret anything I do due to my annoyance with my current position. I was all prepared to give 2 weeks and basically say 'screw you', but my position is one that is very difficult to fill and I have a lot of knowledge that no one else has. Certainly, I'm not irreplacable, but it would make it hard for the company to get things done if I left with only 2 weeks notice. In fact, I think they would know it was a slap in the face and would probably spread the word to those people they know in the legal world. I gave 5 months notice and it has worked out great, except for those bastards who are complaining to my boss that I seem to have one foot out the door. Yeah, I'm excited to leave, but I'm actually working harder now than I was before because I want to ensure that my replacement is all set.

Erin

Jaimalia82

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2005, 08:36:46 AM »
I have a question for everyone's opinion reading this thread.  I want to work at my job through mid to late July.  I know that legally I need to give 2 weeks notice, but according to school policy (I work at a college), I have to give at least 4 (if I want to be compensated for unused vacation days). 

This wouldn't be a big deal, except that you can only take 3 vacation days in the last month of work.  My boyfriend is in the military and preparing to leave for Iraq in July.  He has vacation time from June 18-July 5.  Obviously, I want to spend as much time with him as possible.  My supervisors won't approve 2 weeks of vacation time for me if they know I'm leaving in July.  If I wait to hand in my resignation on July 5th, that means I have to work through the beginning of August.

So what do you think I should do?  Ignore the 4 week policy and forfeit my pay for unused vacation days?  Or fax in my resignation while I'm at home, and work through the last week in July?

My Mom thinks that I should fax in my resignation while I'm on vacation, on July 1st, and site personal reasons.  Don't even tell them I plan to go to law school.  It's doubtful that people will really question my personal reasons for leaving, and will just assume that I can't handle the stress and emotional turmoil of sending my boyfriend off to war, and need to be with my family (I hate the fact that I might have to lead my co-worker to believe that I'm that emotionally unstable).

So, any suggestions?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 08:48:53 AM »
Could you come back from vacation on July 1st?  If it's a university, they'll likely have the 4th off.  If you come back July 1st (a Friday), work, and tell them you're leaving that day, then you'll only be working 2 days of your bf's vacation, which isn't so bad, especially since the 2 days are seperated by a 3 day holiday weekend.

Barring that, I say fax it in.  Coming in those 2 days in July might be the best choice, but faxing it is better than losing your unused days.

And actually, wouldn't those 2 days you'd have to come into work count as the 3 days you can use in your last month?  You might be able to swing it that way, too.

Jaimalia82

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2005, 08:59:06 AM »
Good point, I probably won't need any vacation days in my last month of work anyways.  Thanks for the suggestion, Jacy!

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2005, 10:25:06 AM »
The people with whom I work have known I'm headed to law school for over a year. I studied for the LSAT over my lunch breaks, and I wasn't worried about letting people know what I was up to for 35 minutes every day at noon. :) I think it depends on your job situation. Every situation is different. You should give at least two weeks notice, but it might be good to give more than that in some jobs. I would say that it would be an extremely unusual situation (like mine) where giving more than 6 weeks would be a good idea. You don't want to feel like a lame duck employee.

That said, they're already hiring my replacement, and I'm not planning to leave until mid-July! It'll be a little awkward to share my job with another person for at least 6 weeks, but it's just the way it is. I've gotten really great support and advice from my colleagues throughout this whole process, so this is a small price to pay.

And, I can't wait to be outta' here! I like my job, but I'm really excited for this change.
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale

eloisa

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2005, 01:20:31 PM »
I haven't told my employers yet, and I haven't decided when I should tell them.

The hiring process at my job is notoriously slooooow, and my department is already short-staffed.  Plus, I intend to leave at our busiest time of the year (Aug. 12 is my projected final day).

Technically, I know I only am required to give them two weeks' notice.  But I feel really bad about slamming my co-workers with all the extra work at such a busy time of year (it would take more than a month for the powers that be to replace me, because our hiring process is so slow).  I think I may give about a month's notice, maybe even six weeks to give them a head start on finding someone to replace me.  Last year, a coworker moved to a different state to be with his fiancee. Everyone knew about his departure at least three months in advance, and things seemed to work out all right... I hope that things will go as smoothly for me.

One thing I can say is, don't burn bridges.  Resign gracefully.  You never know when you'll need a recommendation, or when your connections at the previous job may come in handy.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2005, 02:02:25 PM »
The people with whom I work have known I'm headed to law school for over a year. I studied for the LSAT over my lunch breaks, and I wasn't worried about letting people know what I was up to for 35 minutes every day at noon. :) I think it depends on your job situation. Every situation is different. You should give at least two weeks notice, but it might be good to give more than that in some jobs. I would say that it would be an extremely unusual situation (like mine) where giving more than 6 weeks would be a good idea. You don't want to feel like a lame duck employee.

That said, they're already hiring my replacement, and I'm not planning to leave until mid-July! It'll be a little awkward to share my job with another person for at least 6 weeks, but it's just the way it is. I've gotten really great support and advice from my colleagues throughout this whole process, so this is a small price to pay.

And, I can't wait to be outta' here! I like my job, but I'm really excited for this change.

Simliar situation for me...Upon my hiring, my employer knew I was taking the LSAT the saturday after the first full week of work. I studied at my desk that whole week during my lunch break. I would often eat lunch at my desk, while my managers went to the cafeteria...and during that time, I would fill out my apps/type my personal statements/supplementary letters/fax over forms, etc. The people in this company between ages 21-30 have been very supportive and have told me several times "You're so lucky you're getting out of here"
However, it's the colleagues that are 31+ who haven't been so "warm". I work at an Danish based company where if you're (1) a woman or (2) an american you really don't go anywhere (more so for women). My dept started with 10, and will be down to 4, maybe 3 when I leave. One extremely qualified woman just quit my dept b/c she hasn't received a pay raise/promotion in over 4 years. A guy in my dept who is less qualified who has been here for 1 1/2 yrs just got the job she deserved. She wasted 2 years in the company's training program which brainwashes college grads into thinking that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
That being said, I've figured out that I've basically been hired as a "full time temp". What I mean by that is that I perform "temp" type work while receiving a full salary and benefits. However, it's been incredibly boring and a little disheartning that nobody wants to give me more responsibility just because they know I'm leaving. All along it's been a 50/50 situation in terms of support, but at least I've had the people in my age group in my corner. Can't complain too much considering I have money in my bank account, and that I have something that will look good on a resume. I'm just glad I don't have to spend the next 30 years of my life figuring out a price quote for a container of crap from Honduras to Europe. The process has made me even more excited about going to law school!

blocked

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2005, 02:08:29 PM »
My current boss hired me after I called him to ask for a LOR (he had been my boss at a previous position.) He still wrote the LOR. After I made my decision, which requires me to move out of city, his response was "No problem, you'll be our San Antonio office. We'll help you move and see if you can work some during school."

I don't know how realistic it is for me to work during 1L, or if I want to be "obligated" to work for them during summers, but it's nice of them to offer.
St. Mary's bound

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2005, 10:43:41 AM »
My current boss hired me after I called him to ask for a LOR (he had been my boss at a previous position.) He still wrote the LOR. After I made my decision, which requires me to move out of city, his response was "No problem, you'll be our San Antonio office. We'll help you move and see if you can work some during school."

I don't know how realistic it is for me to work during 1L, or if I want to be "obligated" to work for them during summers, but it's nice of them to offer.

ABA has limits on how many hours students can work during school.