Law School Discussion

In at Case w/ Phone call (my last and final acceptance)

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: In at Case w/ Phone call (my last and final acceptance)
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 06:08:17 AM »
Case is my second choice (if they made it affordable for me).  I am on hold with my first choice.  I still haven't heard from Case. My best friend lives in Cleveland and I would love to go there.  It's great that they called you.  Hopefully, I will get a call too!

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 06:09:55 AM »
Yeah, Case may want to rethink offering that free online app next year. They're probably really concerned a lot of people applied just for that reason and are worried about filling their class. Still, I understand how you feel -- I'm pretty cynical about the way law school admissions operates too.  :)

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 07:12:47 AM »
Been accepted to all the schools I applied to, so that makes me happy.

I know I read somewhere else that someone had been accepted to Case with a phone call from someone there; the guy asked me "I'm looking at your application and just wanted to know where you're at in the law school admissions process"; I told him I had a few acceptances that I'm seriously considering, and how much they offered me. He said he's not sure about scholarship monies, but he'll ask the committee and get back to me--hopefully he'll offer something decent. Not too worried, because Iowa's where I'm set to go now, pretty much...

Anyway, I think Case is pretty lame for doing this hardcore yield protection; he wanted to know if I was still interested in attending before he'd tell me that they "have a spot" for me in the class. What a bunch of ranking whores.

Just something to think about - if you got accepted to every school you applies, you did a piss poor job of choosing schools.  Ideally you set your sights high enough that you get rejected from about 50% (which will also, typically, be the higher ranked schools).  This way you know for sure you got into the best school that you possible could.  Right now, you have to assume, that you could have gotten into a school ranked 10 places higher than your current best.  That starts pushing you into the T30, which would put you in a substantially better position (or at least help you negotiate more aid at lesser schools).

In terms of Case being the only school to call and make sure you wanted to go, that's because you were a borderline acceptance for them.  The other schools didn't do that because they didn't see you as a charity case.  Case wants to be sure if they are providing charity it isn't at expense of their yields.  This is incredibly common, from T14 - T4.  Get over yourself.  Screwing a school for taking pity on you is pathetic.

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 07:19:35 AM »
In mxpocc's defense, he got into Iowa which is number 20 in the country.  That is f-ing impressive.  That is the current best.  A damn good counterpoint.

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2005, 07:20:17 AM »
In mxpocc's defense, he got into Iowa which is number 20 in the country.  That is f-ing impressive.  That is the current best.  A damn good counterpoint.

Right, so he wasn't exactly setting low expectations for himself...Sorry if this post seems useless -- brotha, you beat me to it! Same exact point I was gonna make...but I guess reinforcement is never a bad thing :D

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 07:30:20 AM »

Right, so he wasn't exactly setting low expectations for himself...Sorry if this post seems useless -- brotha, you beat me to it! Same exact point I was gonna make...but I guess reinforcement is never a bad thing :D

If he got Iowa, which is #22, he should have also applied to a T14 or at least a T20, to broaden options.

Who in their right mind would consider case if they had Iowa?  There's no comparison (Case is a great school, but the difference between T25 and #49 is substantial enough to undo $ considerations unless he's got a family to feed).

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005, 07:45:19 AM »
I would take Case over Iowa.  I just felt an instant affinity toward the school. 

I am in at IUB(w/$$$) and would choose Case over IUB if they cost approximately the same. 

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 07:46:35 AM »

If he got Iowa, which is #22, he should have also applied to a T14 or at least a T20, to broaden options.

Who in their right mind would consider case if they had Iowa?  There's no comparison (Case is a great school, but the difference between T25 and #49 is substantial enough to undo $ considerations unless he's got a family to feed).

Who knows...maybe he really likes Cleveland or visited Case and felt like he'd be a good fit ... or conversely, he visited Iowa and didn't like what he saw. It's a highly personal decision sometimes.

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005, 08:02:24 AM »

Who knows...maybe he really likes Cleveland or visited Case and felt like he'd be a good fit ... or conversely, he visited Iowa and didn't like what he saw. It's a highly personal decision sometimes.

Who do people here insist on arguing inane points?  He openly said he has no interest in Case unless they buy him.  So the answer to "who knows?" is "Us!".  Hope this helps.

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2005, 08:16:12 AM »

Who do people here insist on arguing inane points?  He openly said he has no interest in Case unless they buy him.  So the answer to "who knows?" is "Us!".  Hope this helps.

Sorry, but the points you're raising are fairly inane -- so much so the responses to them should be self-evidently true. But I guess they aren't because you're bringing them up.

And just because Case is an expensive school and the OP won't attend unless he gets a scholarship -- you think that's unreasonable? Some people are actually concerned about debt, believe it or not... Still doesn't mean the OP isn't interested in Case. I think you're making some unwarranted assumptions here. Serious concerns about debt /= having no interest in the school