7 (10.6%)
An instrument of the Right Wing designed to blind the masses
 41 (62.1%)
slightly liberal
 2 (3%)
Tries to be fair, but has a slightly conservative slant
 16 (24.2%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Fox News?  (Read 20243 times)

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fox News?
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2004, 05:58:06 PM »
Heh, well yeah you got me.  I am actually a crazy, unfit, military member who recently decided they were God!  Actually, I use the name Section Eight because it was the name I used on Socom II (PSX) and well it was easy! ;D

edit- don't confuse section eight with chapter eight either!

Jason

Lipper316

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2004, 06:57:48 PM »
Serving in the U.S. Air Force Reserve. Not just a weekend warrior, just got off activation a couple months ago. Not a Republican!!

jgruber

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2004, 09:49:50 AM »
So conservatives who own the media place profits above truth and then other conservatives complain that the media is unfair.  Interesting idea.  This assumes that liberal news makes more money than conservative news.

but the conservatives tell us they represent the majoiry in america.  If that is the case then wouldn't conservative news make even more?

If liberal news makes more money then more liberals watch it and since most americans watch tv it would seem that the majority of americans are liberal.

So which is it?  Conservatives tolerate liberal news because it makes more money because there are more liberals

or this is all a lot of bull and the media is not liberal.

Jeffjoe – I believe it is because liberalism makes money.  Liberals love to hear their views voiced and conservatives love to hear anything they can argue and attempt to refute.
     In the early stages of ‘yellow journalism’ media moguls learned that the populace enjoyed hearing stories of sensationalism.  The easiest target for sensationalism in this country is the government – hence the attacks on the present administration and past administrations.
     As a republican I do believe that FoxNews is more right-winged, both MSNBC and CNN I see as left-winged.

As a side note – I believe I must be the only republican on this board!  However, finding a military member, other than Wesley Clark (and 2 year service man John Kerry), who is not a republican is hard to do!

Jason

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2004, 10:04:59 AM »
I don't know why ppl make such a big deal about this and how colleges are mostly liberal. I'm proud that ppl can form independent decisions even when the media is slanted. The best example of this is the fact that we've had a Republican Congress even when it was believed that the media was mainly liberal.

I still think that the media is mainly liberal. Fox News is about the only example of a right-wing mass media org'z. The Wall Street Journal can hardly be seen as right-wing but more of a centrist paper.

Fox News actually used to be good. Now it is so bad that they polarize everything into "either your w/ us or vs. us." Bill O'Reilly refuses to stop calling French fries as freedom fries until Chirac leaves office (btw this aired last night). This is just garbage news. I predict that Fox News will begin to sink in the rankings w/ this approach to the nominal news.

Sosua

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2004, 10:14:52 AM »
My dad (a 30 year veteran) is a huge democrat.  So that theory isn't quite true.

jgruber

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2004, 10:18:00 AM »
I was in the army for seven years.  very few GIs even voted as far as I could tell.  that was over 30 years ago, though.

My dad (a 30 year veteran) is a huge democrat.  So that theory isn't quite true.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2004, 10:25:03 AM »
My brother is in the Marines. Most of his friends from the Marines didn't vote in the 2000 election. I think this time around the stakes are higher for them and many will. My bro is an indep. Last time he liked Bush best. This time he definitely plans on voting him out since you just can go and start wars w/ a bunch of countries. Everybody knows that's why Bush wants to est. a colony on the moon since pretty soon he'll have destroyed Earth to pieces.

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2004, 10:35:51 AM »
That's right Giraffe....we're just going around the playground picking fights aren't we?  Maybe you were in South America saving the dung beetle on September 11th, but I remember it all too well.  The fight was started here.  We're finishing it there.  Whether you hide your liberal head under a rock or not, there is a war.  We are in the middle of it and I would rather it be fought in the deserts of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan than in the streets of Brooklyn or the suburbs of South Carolina. 
No liberal bias?  Liberal bias in US politic discourse refers to slanting and spiking of news stories to promote a liberal agenda and thwart conservative values. To say that this is not the mainstream in today's media is like standing on a tree stump and demanding that a tree never grew there.  It's absurd to say the least.
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

jgruber

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2004, 10:47:28 AM »
Even Bush has stopped saying Saddam is linked to 9/11 since they have not been able to find any evidence. 

Let's stick to facts that we can share and verify.

That's right Giraffe....we're just going around the playground picking fights aren't we?  Maybe you were in South America saving the dung beetle on September 11th, but I remember it all too well.  The fight was started here.  We're finishing it there.  Whether you hide your liberal head under a rock or not, there is a war.  We are in the middle of it and I would rather it be fought in the deserts of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan than in the streets of Brooklyn or the suburbs of South Carolina. 
No liberal bias?  Liberal bias in US politic discourse refers to slanting and spiking of news stories to promote a liberal agenda and thwart conservative values. To say that this is not the mainstream in today's media is like standing on a tree stump and demanding that a tree never grew there.  It's absurd to say the least.

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2004, 10:59:38 AM »
I'm sorry...did I miss a fact that can't be verified?  Were we not attacked on Sept. 11th?  Are we not fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan?
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.