7 (10.6%)
An instrument of the Right Wing designed to blind the masses
 41 (62.1%)
slightly liberal
 2 (3%)
Tries to be fair, but has a slightly conservative slant
 16 (24.2%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Fox News?  (Read 20197 times)

nathanielmark

Fox News?
« on: June 02, 2004, 12:32:08 PM »
just curious...

jgruber

Re: Fox News?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 12:56:41 PM »
From the broadcasts I've seen they have staked out their territory on the right and aren't ashamed of it.  They will claim to be centrist, but just about everyone claims that.

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 12:57:44 PM »
i was just asking because i come across so many people who really believe they are the centrists and everything else is the liberal media.

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 01:01:02 PM »
Centrist is the opposite of extreme.  If I believe I am centrist that means I have a reasoned, well informed and moderate stance.  Who wants to believe that they are extremists?
But being a centrist usually means believing that little needs to change in our society.  We just need to tweak it, get the right people in the right positions and everything will be just as good as it can be.  BS.

Personally, I am happy to be an extremist.  I find the center very uncomfortable when there is so much suffering in our world. 

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 01:10:58 PM »
One day for fun, I was watching something on Iraq and switched between the three main news channels to see the difference.  Something along the following lines were what they were saying about the same event:

MSNBC:  The war in Iraq is getting out of control.  Just today, 3 more soldiers died in the war tha Bush got us into.  There are still no wmd's found and Congressional hearings are going on to get to the bottom of this travesty!

FoxNews:  Three soldiers were killed by extremist terrorists today in a blatent act of terriorism.  The war in Iraq is still being found by our men and women of the Armed Forces who are searching for the wmd's that are still being hidden in Iraq.  Democrats again had frequent outbursts in the Congressional hearings.

CNN:  Three soldiers were killed in Iraq in a car bomb.  No one has claimed responsibility yet.  On the Hill, Congressional hearings started on their (something) day with both Republicans and Democrats talking to so and so.

Anytime I've done this (switch between the three stations), it always seems MSNBC=left, FoxNews=right, CNN=more facts than the other two.  Of course, if they are having their news shows hosted by people, then it depends on the person, but just for news it always seems that they are pretty much on those lines.

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 01:14:25 PM »
"Personally, I am happy to be an extremist.  I find the center very uncomfortable when there is so much suffering in our world."

I agree with you jeff, although we probably stand on opposite sides (judging by the poll results which I assume you participated in).  I personally know that the majority of the media is seriously left wing.  I have talked to people who have been to China and been to Iraq and conditions are much worse and much better, respectively, than the media would have you believe.

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 01:15:50 PM »
i consider myself a centrist and think we need drastic change. so i dont think your characterization of a centrist being someone happy with the status quo is necessarily a valid one.

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 01:22:45 PM »
i consider myself a centrist and think we need drastic change. so i dont think your characterization of a centrist being someone happy with the status quo is necessarily a valid one.

I can accept that if you'll accept that 'drastic' is somewhat a matter of opinion.  I suspect that your drastic changes might not seem drastic to me.

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 01:25:17 PM »
The media is seriously left wing?  Why do the owners of the media tolerate that?

I personally know that the majority of the media is seriously left wing.  I have talked to people who have been to China and been to Iraq and conditions are much worse and much better, respectively, than the media would have you believe.

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 01:28:17 PM »
Speaking of different sources.  Out of curiousity I looked at Rush Limbaugh's web site when the news of prisoner abuse surfaced.  He had a piece there that said the Democrats were 'manufacturing an issue' out of the abuse.

Hmmmmmmmmm.