7 (10.6%)
An instrument of the Right Wing designed to blind the masses
 41 (62.1%)
slightly liberal
 2 (3%)
Tries to be fair, but has a slightly conservative slant
 16 (24.2%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Fox News?  (Read 21418 times)

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Fox News?
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 01:39:27 PM »
The media...left wing?  Are you kidding?  That used to be the case.  Now, approx 80% of the media is owned by 6 right-wing conservative organizations. 

W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

Lipper316

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 01:51:57 PM »
The media...left wing?  Are you kidding?  That used to be the case.  Now, approx 80% of the media is owned by 6 right-wing conservative organizations. 

Yes, that is correct. Actually, one company, (I forget the name) just bought out something like 278 news affiliates throughout the U.S. A right-wing group. Also, a study was done by Harvard University graduate students to see if a liberal bias really exists. The study conducted was based on the Gore/Bush election. Of the mainstream media stories reported (new york times, washington post, etc.) MORE favored Bush. haha, liberal-bias my ass. Right-wing cry-babies.

jgruber

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 03:18:08 PM »
I have to ask again.  Why would media owners tolerate left leaning news?

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 04:25:34 PM »

Would it have anything to do with the entertainment industry/Hollywood being generally liberal?  And if the entertainment industry as a whole is liberal, wouldn't it naturally trickly down to the news media? 

Just a guess...
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

jgruber

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 04:28:50 PM »
Imagine your a conservate millionaire (is that redundant?)

You own a media outlet, like a newspaper.  You discover to your dismay that they are following the communist party line.  Do you let them go on their merry way or do you lay down the law?

So if the media is owned by conservatives why do they tolerate alleged left wing news?

Would it have anything to do with the entertainment industry/Hollywood being generally liberal?  And if the entertainment industry as a whole is liberal, wouldn't it naturally trickly down to the news media? 

Just a guess...

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2004, 04:37:12 PM »
Hollywood and the media machine are two very different entities.  Don't be confused.  Hollywood does traditionally lean left.  The media machine right now?  Painfully right.  The best example?  Michael Moore...very left, is trying to come out w/ his new movie Fahrenheit 911.  Mirimax, a subsidiary of Disney, was going to distribute the film.  Disney, which oddly now leans right refuses to distributed the film even though they know it will do well.  Why?  Florida Bush told Disney they would pull their tax breaks in Florida if Disney distributes the film.  Of course, every other frickin' country in the world has found a distributor for the movie.  (Look how "free" we are now.)  Meanwhile, conversative lawyers are suing because they want it so a political film cannot come out in an election year.

I would say this is an excellent example of the difference between Hollywood/left and media machine/right.
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2004, 04:41:25 PM »
Well, in all honesty, I don't know a lot about news media ownership.  I was venturing a guess on why news media on television can come across as liberal.  Because it's on television, I see it as a branch (however distant) on the Hollywood family tree.  And I believe the Hollywood family tree is pretty liberal. 

Actually, if I was a conservative media-owning millionaire, I'd be concerned about earning more money by running a lucrative business.  If my business can be lucrative by showing so-called "Communist" material, so be it.

It's like a die-hard vegan PETA-supporting attorney working for a firm who represents the fur industry.  You work for the firm, so you do what is best for the firm.  This means representing your client to the best of your ability, whether or not you believe in your client and/or their moral values.

If the attorney can't handle working for a fur industry, the attorney can leave the firm.  If the media mogul can't handle liberal programming, the mogul can sell his or her company.

Imagine your a conservate millionaire (is that redundant?)

You own a media outlet, like a newspaper.  You discover to your dismay that they are following the communist party line.  Do you let them go on their merry way or do you lay down the law?

So if the media is owned by conservatives why do they tolerate alleged left wing news?

Just a guess...
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

jgruber

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2004, 04:41:27 PM »
I agree with you.  I think the media is skewed to the right, but there are others who say it is skewed heavily to the left.

To those people I ask, why would the owners of the media tolerate these pinkos journalists?

Hollywood and the media machine are two very different entities.  Don't be confused.  Hollywood does traditionally lean left.  The media machine right now?  Painfully right.  The best example?  Michael Moore...very left, is trying to come out w/ his new movie Fahrenheit 911.  Mirimax, a subsidiary of Disney, was going to distribute the film.  Disney, which oddly now leans right refuses to distributed the film even though they know it will do well.  Why?  Florida Bush told Disney they would pull their tax breaks in Florida if Disney distributes the film.  Of course, every other frickin' country in the world has found a distributor for the movie.  (Look how "free" we are now.)  Meanwhile, conversative lawyers are suing because they want it so a political film cannot come out in an election year.

I would say this is an excellent example of the difference between Hollywood/left and media machine/right.

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2004, 05:47:09 PM »
Jeffjoe – I believe it is because liberalism makes money.  Liberals love to hear their views voiced and conservatives love to hear anything they can argue and attempt to refute.
     In the early stages of ‘yellow journalism’ media moguls learned that the populace enjoyed hearing stories of sensationalism.  The easiest target for sensationalism in this country is the government – hence the attacks on the present administration and past administrations.
     As a republican I do believe that FoxNews is more right-winged, both MSNBC and CNN I see as left-winged.

As a side note – I believe I must be the only republican on this board!  However, finding a military member, other than Wesley Clark (and 2 year service man John Kerry), who is not a republican is hard to do!

Jason

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2004, 05:50:36 PM »
A republican w/ the name Section 8???????????
Hm.

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!