Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Official "My Last Day of Work" Thread  (Read 14681 times)

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Official "My Last Day of Work" Thread
« Reply #180 on: July 10, 2005, 02:29:33 PM »
I walked into my supervisor's office and asked her if she had a minute to talk.  (No one sets up special meetings around my workplace, so I knew it would be suspicious if I set one up.)

Then, I handed her a cordially and gracefully written resignation letter, explaining that I had decided to further my education and pursue a law degree, and that my resignation was effective in 30 days.  I made it clear in the letter that I'd really enjoyed my job, and I wasn't leaving because I disliked it.  We talked about my decision for a few minutes, I offered to help find a replacement and smooth the transition, and then I left her office and went back to work.

I put it in writing first so that I wouldn't stutter and stammer about it.  Plus, putting it in writing made it possible to be a bit more graceful about it (pay compliments to the boss/coworkers etc.). 

My manager was crushed to hear I was leaving; she'd had no idea.

My last day is August 5.

If you would've gone the indignant route you could've done something to force her to fire you and then collected unemployment for 22 weeks,  even while in law school :-)

Roper

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 10, 2005, 09:10:11 PM »
My last day is July 29th.  I hace worked there five years and will be coming back as a law clerk next summer.  I am training my replacement now, but it isn't the same.  I wish I had put my notice in for earlier.  I have to pick up orientation materials on Aug 9th and on Aug 1st I have to make arrangements to take summer finals early, have my professors turn in my grades early and get the Registrar to finalize my transcript and degree.  Just wish I had more time to get everything done.  I'll miss everybody at work alot though.

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2005, 10:22:04 AM »
I am outttta here on July 22nd and I could not be happier! Not a lot of time to get organized and adjusted because school starts on August 15th but what can you do?

My boss took it way better than I expected she would. She congratulated me on this next step and wished me well.

elemnopee

« Reply #183 on: July 11, 2005, 11:01:56 AM »
This is my last week of work, and I'm leaving for my first vacation in 3 years on Friday.

lawbunny23

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 11, 2005, 11:14:58 AM »
This is my last week of work, and I'm leaving for my first vacation in 3 years on Friday.

Enjoy! I am totally jealous!  My last day of work is August 5.  I wish I could have taken more time off before starting LS but I am still in the process of hiring my replacement.  Luckily, it is pretty slow at my office during the summer so hopefully I will have time to take care of my whole to-do list before August 22.  I hope all of you who were able to take the summer off enjoy it! 

elemnopee

« Reply #185 on: July 11, 2005, 11:31:46 AM »

Enjoy! I am totally jealous!  My last day of work is August 5.  I wish I could have taken more time off before starting LS but I am still in the process of hiring my replacement.  Luckily, it is pretty slow at my office during the summer so hopefully I will have time to take care of my whole to-do list before August 22.  I hope all of you who were able to take the summer off enjoy it! 

Thanks.  I just got an invitation to my "going away lunch."  I never dress up for work, it's not my fault I'm from California.  On the bottom it of my invitation it says "casual attire," I'm really going to miss this place.

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 11, 2005, 12:00:30 PM »
Last day is on Friday. I'm finding it hard to contain my excitement!   ;D

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 11, 2005, 01:33:07 PM »
I'm oscillating over my last day right now.  Essentially, I can stay as long as I want.  I don't start school (which is 600 miles away) until August 14th, and my apartment is fully furnished, so all I have to do is literally drive there--no "moving" time needed. 

As of right now, my last day is tentatively set for July 22nd, mostly because I hate my job and want out of it as soon as possible, but lately I've been seriously considering taking a "big" vacation (read: bahamas, cozumel, Brazil, virgin islands) right before I leave for school (say, August 2nd - 9th) and the extra money I'd make between July 22nd and August 1st would pay for the entire vacation, easily. 

This is one big contradiction, though, because the reason I hate my job is because i don't do anything.  The reason I want to leave early is so I can travel (read: just around the midwest where I'm from, visiting friends, *cheap trips*), but if I were to stay the extra money would pay for a getaway with my girlfriend, which would be very nice (although I already have enough saved to pay for the trips, I'm definitely not so well off that I have easily expendible cash). 

Any thoughts.

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #188 on: July 11, 2005, 02:13:29 PM »
Take the vacation!  The extra money will be wonderful, and if you don't have anything to do at work then you can spend your time planning all of the ways you and your girlfriend are going to spend the extra cash your making!

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 11, 2005, 02:22:03 PM »
Take the vacation!  The extra money will be wonderful, and if you don't have anything to do at work then you can spend your time planning all of the ways you and your girlfriend are going to spend the extra cash your making!

Yeah, I think 7 days/6 nights in the Bahamas (or, if the hurricanes continue, Cozumel, Cancun, San Diego, or maybe even Hawaii) wins out over a few couple day trips around the midwest.

I'll hold out until August 1st or so, then fly out and have the peace of mind knowing that I'm effectively not dipping into the cash reserve I would've had, had I quit July 22nd. 

All the current law students and lawyers I know tell me to enjoy the summer before LS as much as possible, because it will be my last taste of freedom.  So I think going all-out isn't such a bad idea.  Though, more than likely, I'll end up being more conservative with my money and where I stay, and then come Springbreak I'll see if I have enough $$ to go somewhere nice then, too. 

I'd rather have two week-long vacations that I skimped and got a 3 star hotel instead of a 5 star resort for just one vacation.