Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hastings Epinions  (Read 3019 times)

nola8688

• Sr. Citizen
  • THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL !!!
    • View Profile
Hastings Epinions
« on: June 02, 2004, 02:45:24 AM »
Rise and shine and give off your glory glory!!!

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hastings Epinions
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 12:04:00 PM »
Nola---
Thanks for the links.  Of course I can't comment on whether these statements are true or not because I haven't gone to Hastings...yet.  But, I will say I have read a lot of books on law school and talked to a lot of people.  A lot of these statements on the quality of Hastings' education ring true for most law schools.  I think the heart of the matter is that a lot of people get to law school and realize they hate it...plain and simple.  From that point, everything loses its luster.  I work in a realm right now where I often work w/ attorneys and the eventual goal at my company is to work w/ attorneys.  I know what they do, because I talk to them a lot, and I get the biz.  For those folks going to law school because they were moved my Tom Cruise's speeches in A Few Good Men, law school can often me a miserable surprise.  I don't really see that happening to me. 

There was a girl in my Kaplan LSAT course who said she didn't like the Reading Comp section because she doesn't like to read.  I *&^% you not.  What the F*CK!!! is all I can say.  Law is often boring, tedious, and dense.  If you get to law school and hate it, suddenly you focus on the bad things at the expense of the good things.

I don't deny that there are downsides to Hastings.  It sucks there is no undergrad and it stands alone.  It kind of sucks that it is in the Tenderloin.  But, perhaps, while staring at the poverty day in and day out, we will be reminded why we are there and the importance of good lawyers. 

San Francisco is a very in-your-face city in general.  You can't go to any touristy spot w/o passing several homeless people.  Large urban place...large urban problems. 

I guess what I take away from these essays is that
1) Hastings is competitive...gotta compete w/ Stanford and Boalt
2) If you want to, you can get a great legal education.
3) Hastings can make you a great lawyer.  Being competitive will soon be as natural as eating.
4) San Fran rocks...I knew that already.
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

nola8688

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 12:37:24 PM »
I agree. I have a feeling there are quite a few people who are in for a rude awakening when they are in the thick of things in law school. The girl who didn't like to read... HA! I can't even believe people like that are going to waste their time and money.

Just like anything in life, Hastings will be what we make of it.

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 01:38:52 PM »
Hastings is awesome.

If I wasn't a damn fool, I could go there.

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 01:40:29 PM »
Nola...where are you coming from?  Are you still planning in living in the tower?
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

nola8688

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 02:03:55 PM »
Nola...where are you coming from?  Are you still planning in living in the tower?

I have sent in my deposit for the tower, but things might change when I go up there and actually see it in person.

I am coming from Louisiana... GEAUX TIGERS!  ;)

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 02:07:55 PM »
Louisiana...wow!  That is quite the change.  You must be excited to come to San Fran!!!  I have to say, to me, it seems impossible not to love "The City."  The weather is a bit bizarre, but I absolutely love it.  I was there this last weekend checking out some of the neighborhoods.  There are so many wonderful places to live.

Well, congrats on getting into Hastings.  Have you lived in Louisiana all of your life?

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

nola8688

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 02:31:37 PM »
Louisiana...wow!  That is quite the change.  You must be excited to come to San Fran!!!  I have to say, to me, it seems impossible not to love "The City."  The weather is a bit bizarre, but I absolutely love it.  I was there this last weekend checking out some of the neighborhoods.  There are so many wonderful places to live.

Well, congrats on getting into Hastings.  Have you lived in Louisiana all of your life?

I am originally from Southern California. After finishing my undergrad in Louisiana, it was time to make the move back to my home state. However, it will be a huge change for me since I have never lived in a big city. 

As for bizarre weather... I am coming from an area with some crazy weather (humidity of 95% in the nasty hot summers, all year round there is random heavy rain for 15 minutes followed by clear sky, cold and clammy winters with tons of rain, oh yeah and hurricanes!). I have heard about the weather in SF, and hopefully it will be easy for me to deal with. I am bringing some warm clothes and rain gear...  ;)

altrnet18

• Heading to Hastings
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 02:40:52 PM »
But, perhaps, while staring at the poverty day in and day out, we will be reminded why we are there and the importance of good lawyers. 

That's exactly what my friend (just finished 1L) said about Hastings. She feels that not living in the Tower, and being forced to use public transportation to get to class, keeps her grounded since she sees the homeless people and the "everyday" people of real life.

I can't believe that girl in your LSAT class... if she's serious about not liking to read, the process (the LSAT or law school itself)will weed her out.

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 02:43:18 PM »
Yeah...the girl who doesn't like to read really was struggling on her LSAT prep.  Shocker!

There are so many folks that just roll to law school w/o giving any thought to it.  There is some amazing stat that something like 80% of people enter law school thinking they will go into some sort of public service law.  Then, they graduate, feel the hurt of their loans, and go corporate. 

I mean, seriously, why can't people conceptualize this earlier?  I, for one, have no problem picturing the hurt of $100K debt.

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!