Law School Discussion

Bottom of 2nd Tier Vs. 3rd Tier - Opinions?

LaneSwerver

Re: Bottom of 2nd Tier Vs. 3rd Tier - Opinions?
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2005, 12:49:50 PM »
Wait....so you mean that law firms are, in the end, actually like most other employers? They don't just look at your grades and what school you went to and hire you? You actually get a chance to interview and prove yourself somewhat?  :o

Well, it may be a crazy dreamworld, but let's hope so.

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2005, 12:55:13 PM »
ok..no longer promising.

hahahaha

:'(

LaneSwerver

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2005, 01:00:59 PM »
ok..no longer promising.

hahahaha

I only speak from limited experience from lawyers I know. Whether all operate this way, I can't tell you. Like I said, though, get good grades, make law review, get some great clerkships/internships, and it won't matter where you went to school.

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2005, 01:20:32 PM »
ok..no longer promising.

hahahaha

I only speak from limited experience from lawyers I know. Whether all operate this way, I can't tell you. Like I said, though, get good grades, make law review, get some great clerkships/internships, and it won't matter where you went to school.

Everything is a matter of 'degree'.  Going to a lower ranked school won't hurt your chances outright, but you are better off, statistically, to a degree, at the better school (assuming a spread of more than 15 places).  Unfortunately it's hard to determine the spread betweena  T2 and T3 given than T3's aren't ranked in order.  That said, some T3's (like Syracuse last year) are known to be on the border, and therefore are more of a known quanity than others (vermont?).

There's a substantive difference between a T3 that's never been out of T3 and a T2.  That being said, this is only if all else is equal.  Geography, etc. can overcome it i.e. if you want to practice in Southern florida you're probably better off at Nova SE than Syracuse.  But if you want to practice anywhere else, you're better off (statistcally) at the better ranked/known school.  If you have a dream of going to a totally new market, the better name school (even if just for basketball) has got to be a help.

I'm the first person to say that nobody should ever count themselves out of the game due to where they went to school.  It's all what you make of it.  That said, you should always try to stack the deck as much as possible in your favor.  Think of the T2 as a slightly-better stacked deck.  your odds just went up a few points.

In terms of the interviewing hypotheses you guys are playing with, i agree to a degree.  not everyone gets interviews.  just like in the job world for every other career.  that's why some crummy catholic schools can outplace much better secular schools at elite catholic firms.  etc. etc.  that said, reputation, alumni, etc. are all factored into rankings, I believe.

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2005, 07:07:33 AM »
this could be a naive question.

but what is the substantial difference between the two?
ok..no longer promising.

hahahaha

There's a substantive difference between a T3 that's never been out of T3 and a T2.

and syracuse was T3 last year? I have no idea about last year's rankings.

:(

Also, I was wondering..the T3 that i am very interested in has a great alumni and strong job placement. Much better than the T2 school I like.

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2005, 08:00:12 AM »
this could be a naive question.

but what is the substantial difference between the two?
ok..no longer promising.

hahahaha

There's a substantive difference between a T3 that's never been out of T3 and a T2.

and syracuse was T3 last year? I have no idea about last year's rankings.

:(

Also, I was wondering..the T3 that i am very interested in has a great alumni and strong job placement. Much better than the T2 school I like.

As long as the metrics you're using to determine the stronger job placement and alumni base are accurate, then by all means go with the T3.  I can certainly think of many situations where this would make the most sense.  However, if they both serve the same region, I would presumptively disagree.

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2005, 06:18:43 AM »
counter - do you have aim?

aim me...

sunyeo210