Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bottom of 2nd Tier Vs. 3rd Tier - Opinions?  (Read 3593 times)

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bottom of 2nd Tier Vs. 3rd Tier - Opinions?
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 12:07:39 PM »
Well, this thread pretty much has been hijacked ... so here goes

Counterpoint - Learning politics in one place is just that, learning politics. It doesn't matter if it's a city council in Podunk, ND or NY, NY. You learn the basics everywhere, just like in college. The aim being to take your experience and knowledge and apply it to the next position you take.

Your claim that NY political connections won't help elsewhere is wrong. You never know where you'll be in 1, 2, 5, or 10 years. You may go from working as legal counsel to an assemblyman to working for a national trade association. In that respect, having local contacts makes all the difference if you're trying to help clients from different states. I used to work with someone who was hired specifically because he had worked in 3 different state legislatures and had the network necessary to advocate for our clients.

And wasn't loulielawyer's statement of "When I visited Albany I was pleased to see the available jobs  posted in the career services office represented all regions of the country.  I have also researched many of the employers that recruit at Albany and while many of the opportunities are in the Northeast and Washington DC, this is still evidence that Albany students find work outside the capital region.  For a person like me who would be happiest in Boston, NYC or DC this is a strong pull factor." a pretty good reason? IE: Placement outside Albany

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 12:14:36 PM »
I see I made an error in my point about the state economies but you can rest assured that none of my points come from your posts.

I must say that your need to be right and focus on the small details of larger discussions has made you a pleasure to converse with. The bigger picture alludes you.  People who disagree with your statements should not be so threatening.  I can't help but wonder what you gain personally from having anonymous confrontations with people on this discussion board.  It is easy to attack people you will never know and maybe it gives your fragile ego a much needed boost.  If that is the case then I hope you are feeling very accomplished after taking your shots at me today.

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 12:21:04 PM »
Exactly MSUDuster!

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 12:25:22 PM »
Forget about all the issues with rankings/prestige, etc...go with your gut feeling...where would you be the happiest? If the difference in ranking is more or less minimal, go with the place where you feel you would have the best overall quality of life.

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 02:27:17 PM »
Well, this thread pretty much has been hijacked ... so here goes

Counterpoint - Learning politics in one place is just that, learning politics. It doesn't matter if it's a city council in Podunk, ND or NY, NY. You learn the basics everywhere, just like in college. The aim being to take your experience and knowledge and apply it to the next position you take.

Your claim that NY political connections won't help elsewhere is wrong. You never know where you'll be in 1, 2, 5, or 10 years. You may go from working as legal counsel to an assemblyman to working for a national trade association. In that respect, having local contacts makes all the difference if you're trying to help clients from different states. I used to work with someone who was hired specifically because he had worked in 3 different state legislatures and had the network necessary to advocate for our clients.

And wasn't loulielawyer's statement of "When I visited Albany I was pleased to see the available jobs  posted in the career services office represented all regions of the country.  I have also researched many of the employers that recruit at Albany and while many of the opportunities are in the Northeast and Washington DC, this is still evidence that Albany students find work outside the capital region.  For a person like me who would be happiest in Boston, NYC or DC this is a strong pull factor." a pretty good reason? IE: Placement outside Albany

What a total load.  I work in govt. relations in DC.  that doesn't qualify me to work politics in Albany.  State governments are not all run the same, and likewise are not all run like fed. govt.  Vise versa.  Also, if you want to be a lobbyist - skip the law degree, get a job as a legislative assistant, and move to private sector after 5 years.  skip 150K in debt.

i'm not trashing T3 schools here so get over your little hypersensitivies.  I'm sorry, but to claim that albany is better than syracuse on all accounts typifies the usual nonsense that i'm growing accustomed to seeing on LSD.  Yes, for some people Albany is the best school.  However, Louli's argument does not clearly enough demarcate that her own biases are heavily at work here.  There are definitely exceptions to the rule, but otherwise, if all else is equal, obviously you go with rank.  (we don't know if all else is equal or not, because the op didn't tell us - so don't jump down my throat for that, either).

last, i agree with everyone here that USNWR is a load of darn.  unpfortunately, while true, it is also somewhat of a "self-fulfilling prophecy".  If i hear one more person say "and no hiring manager sits around waiting for USNWR" i'm going to vomit.  this is an oversimplified straw man people are constructing.  You can't clearly delineate a schools ranked 90 or so from a school ranked in the T3 (between 101 and 140-50?).. but there's still a demarcation to be made.

Anyway, Louli, my last point is a little advice for law school.  Get your ego out of the picture when arguing.  None of this has anything to do with ego.  It isn't personal.  It's a game.  If you want to be a good lawyer you're best off to realize that sooner than later.  Enough sniffling.

EDIT:  One last thing Loulie - "allude" and "elude" are homonyms (not "hominem", mind you) but does not make them synonyms.. I believe you meant to use the latter.  HTH

Tis Another Day

• AOL Instant Messenger - sunyeo78
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 02:58:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for their responses. ;)

I was wondering this because I want to know what I should expect when I have to apply for summer internships and job prospects that may be outside the school's region.

I didn't know if this really mattered.  ???

Thnx.

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 03:35:29 PM »
Counterpoint- Is there any room in your head for the possibility that people have different experiences and opinions or does your ego take up too much space?  Have you considered the fact that other people may have information or knowledge that you are unaware of?  I know you are so completely consumed with your own perspective that you appear to be incapable of having a two way discussion.  This could be your downfall one day because even though you display strong skills in retaining facts and checking people's grammar, these traits are overshadowed by your inability to listen.

I am putting a stop to this now because I suspect this kind of banter is turning you on.  Pathetic really.  You need to relax.

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005, 04:39:25 PM »
Counterpoint- Is there any room in your head for the possibility that people have different experiences and opinions or does your ego take up too much space?  Have you considered the fact that other people may have information or knowledge that you are unaware of?  I know you are so completely consumed with your own perspective that you appear to be incapable of having a two way discussion.  This could be your downfall one day because even though you display strong skills in retaining facts and checking people's grammar, these traits are overshadowed by your inability to listen.

I am putting a stop to this now because I suspect this kind of banter is turning you on.  Pathetic really.  You need to relax.

You totally lost me hon?  What did I not hear?  All I heard was your diatribe that T3 beats T2, without much thought.  Frankly, I briefly considered going to Albany over several tier 1's I was accepted to - so clearly I'm not close minded when it comes to rankings being God.  The fact is, I wasn't ready to commit my life to a relatively small part of the country yet - though I know I would have a great life in New York state (whether that be in NYC, at the top 10% of my class, or working as a 30K per year aid on the capitol and eating ramen for dinner).  I think Albany is a great school, as countless posts of mine on this board will show.  I think that any law school is going to be what you make of it, and there are no "rules" about where you'll be able to end up.  That said, you can stack the deck as much as possible in your favor by ensuring the law school you choose meets as much of your criteria as possible.

When it comes to moving around, I hate to tell you, the higher the rank, the better.  If you are moving around within a region, then the higher ranked regional school.  If you are moving around outside of a region, then the higher ranked national school.  Obviously there are some exceptions, where there are various "levels" of what might be considered region (city vs. state vs. grouping of states).  I recall that you yourself have expressed repeated desire to end up in Boston or NYC.  Instead of conjecture, why don't you go spend 10 minutes on NALP and look at the statistics yourself.  I'd be surprised if Syracuse wouldn't be the better choice for you (despite that you already put down a deposit on an Albany apartment and as such don't want to change your mind).

Paikea

• Sr. Citizen
  • One year down, two more to go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2005, 05:40:31 PM »

Anyway, Louli, my last point is a little advice for law school.  Get your ego out of the picture when arguing.  None of this has anything to do with ego.  It isn't personal.  It's a game.  If you want to be a good lawyer you're best off to realize that sooner than later.  Enough sniffling.

EDIT:  One last thing Loulie - "allude" and "elude" are homonyms (not "hominem", mind you) but does not make them synonyms.. I believe you meant to use the latter.  HTH

lmao...talk about ego! 

I'd be curious to hear your opinion on lawyers who are condescending?
"Those who want the Government to regulate matters of the mind and spirit are like men who are so afraid of being murdered that they commit suicide to avoid assassination." - Harry S. Truman

"All bad precedents begin with justifiable measures."  - Julius Caesar

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2005, 06:24:38 PM »
blah blah blah blah!

Counterpoint  you just do not know when to stop.  You are boring me now.  Not only do you not listen well but you also like to make assumptions. I don't really care about your opinions on my future........go bother someone else with your ego and your arrogance Assumptions lead to prejudice and hypocrisy.  You should watch yourself Counter - your personality issues will only work against you in the future.