Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bottom of 2nd Tier Vs. 3rd Tier - Opinions?  (Read 3594 times)

Tis Another Day

• AOL Instant Messenger - sunyeo78
    • View Profile
Bottom of 2nd Tier Vs. 3rd Tier - Opinions?
« on: May 04, 2005, 01:10:28 PM »
Hi Everyone.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts about the big difference if there is one between going to a school at the bottom of the 2nd Tier vs a 3rd Tier school.

I don't see a big difference.

Thanks!

:P

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bottom of 2nd Tier Vs. 3rd Tier - Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 01:13:50 PM »
Hi Everyone.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts about the big difference if there is one between going to a school at the bottom of the 2nd Tier vs a 3rd Tier school.

I don't see a big difference.

Thanks!

:P

It depends.  If it's a school like Albany that has slipped into T2 in the past, so we can assume it's near the border, then no. But if it's a random solid T# that has never slipped out of T3, we have no way of knowing if it's bottom or top of T3.. there could be as many as 50 spots between the rank quality of a high T2 and a T3.

If they are both in the same legal market, and it's one you want to work in, definitely go for the T2.

Lots of people here will disagree.  Generally they will be people already committed to attend T3.

Paikea

• Sr. Citizen
  • One year down, two more to go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 05:16:32 PM »
If you are looking at two schools in the same relative market, investigate the reputation of each schools grads from working professionals in the area.  With law schools able to manipulate the rankings to a certain extent, the grads from a lower T2 school may not be looked upon any better than grads from a T3 school.
"Those who want the Government to regulate matters of the mind and spirit are like men who are so afraid of being murdered that they commit suicide to avoid assassination." - Harry S. Truman

"All bad precedents begin with justifiable measures."  - Julius Caesar

Dixon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 01:17:49 AM »
"Tiers" in and of themselves mean nothing.  What matters is the reputation of the school in the area where you want to practice.

Of course, there may be firms out there that sit around and wait for US News to come out with their rankings before making hiring decisions. I've never hear of that but lots of people on this board seem to believe that's the way things are done.

Talk to attorneys in the region where you want to set up shop and see what they think would be in your best interest.

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 09:01:58 AM »
"Tiers" in and of themselves mean nothing.  What matters is the reputation of the school in the area where you want to practice.

Of course, there may be firms out there that sit around and wait for US News to come out with their rankings before making hiring decisions. I've never hear of that but lots of people on this board seem to believe that's the way things are done.

Talk to attorneys in the region where you want to set up shop and see what they think would be in your best interest.

Again, tiers themselves mean nothing - except for fact that Tier 2 is ranked and Tier 3 isn't.  Remembering that the USNWR, while flawed, does include reputation scoring, and remembering that you can find out exactly how a T2 school scored in reputation, you have an inherently better feel for where a T2 school stands over a T3.  As such a T2 could quite possibly be the better choice ASSUMING it is directly competing in the same market as the T3 you're considering.

Consider this:  Albany vs. Syracuse - a T3 vs. a T2.  Both in NY, both more upstate, etc.  Yet if you want to practice in around albany there is NO reason to take Syracuse over Albany.  Albany's location/local rep. give it first crack at most jobs in the NY state capital.  Now.  If you want to practice anywhere else, i would lean towards Syracuse, as it's a slightly stronger name, and ranked as a better school.

Capische?

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 09:41:41 AM »
Since I have been trying to make a decision on Syracuse and Albany and I have done quite a bit of research I must respond to you Counterpoint. (Just as a friendly discussion  ;))

It has been said many times on this board that Albany will hold more value locally and Syracuse is a better school for those looking to work elsewhere in country. This point has even caused me to reconsider my early decision to attend Albany. However, I am choosing Albany after all and this is why:

When I visited Albany I was pleased to see the available jobs  posted in the career services office represented all regions of the country.  I have also researched many of the employers that recruit at Albany and while many of the opportunities are in the Northeast and Washington DC, this is still evidence that Albany students find work outside the capital region.  For a person like me who would be happiest in Boston, NYC or DC this is a strong pull factor.

Secondly, there is a major advantage to attending law school in the state capitol of the country's largest economy.  This exposure to state politics, government and public policy is valuable regardless of the type of law a student plans to pursue.  An attorney with this kind of experience will be armed with a unique perspective on inner workings of the legal system. Also, the fact that Albany law school is the only law school in the capitol region means there are wealth of opportunities available to Albany's students for the three years they are in school.

OKAY so....I am not hijacking the thread an getting off topic on why Albany is a good choice.  I  am merely pointing out that I have realized that the rankings only provide a snap shot of the law schools and it is impossible to get the big picture from some statistics in a magazine.  Especially when you are comparing two schools from different tiers who are close in rankings.

Tis Another Day - I think you should go with your gut feeling and pick a school where you believe you are most likely to succeed.  No ranking can tell you which school will provide you with the best educational experience and meet your needs as a student. Each individual has different criteria as to what kind of educational environment they thrive in.  At the end of the day you will be the person to determine your career by how hard you work and how much you achieve in the school you have chosen.  I suspect you may already know which school is the right choice for you.  Best of luck!

ccorsi

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 09:48:11 AM »
Just as a point of clarification - California's economy dwarfs New York's.

C2

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 10:05:36 AM »
Yes. that's true.  NY economy is 2nd largest in US.

more importantly, Louli, you gave me plenty of reasons to support why to go to Albany over Syravuse if you want to stay in Albany.  You gave me zero good ones if you want to leave Albany.  The political connection thing - perhaps, but only if you want NYC, and only if you slave away on the capitol in Albany, meeting lots of business lobbyists for NY companies, and one likes you and offers you a job in NYC.  Otherwise, in terms of "learning politics" you will be learning NY politics, which won't apply elsewhere (either will your political connections).  Also, it's a convenient argument when you leave out any mention of why Syracuse outranks Albany.

I dont question your choice.  I really like the city of Albany, and it would be a great place to spend your life.  Cheap cost of living, beautiful surroundings, nice school facilities, etc.  Just don't plan on leaving when you graduate unless you're in the top 10%, or want ot start your own practice.

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 11:17:00 AM »
Well Counterpoint........you really do have all the answers to all the questions.  I am grateful you are here to set me straight. If I didn't have contact with someone like you I would be lost in this entire law school process.

::)

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 11:24:36 AM »
Well Counterpoint........you really do have all the answers to all the questions.  I am grateful you are here to set me straight. If I didn't have contact with someone like you I would be lost in this entire law school process.

::)

Seeing as i am the one who made the argument for albany, based on being only law school in 2nd largest economy in US, MONTHS AGO and you have since grabbed on that quote, screwed up the stat, and now flout it everywhere, my opinion clear DOES mean a lot to you.

HTH