Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Numbers & LOR's  (Read 2746 times)

NYBound05

Law School Numbers & LOR's
« on: June 02, 2004, 01:36:24 AM »
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but I've found that a considerable number of people on lawschoolnumbers.com list that they have "Excellent LOR's."

Now my question is, how do they know they have excellent LOR's?  It is my understanding that law schools prefer applicants NOT to see the LOR's they are providing, which makes perfect sense. 

What are your plans?  When you ask for LOR's, are you guys asking for a copy of the LOR so that you can preview it prior to applying?  Are you asking for an outline of the things discussed in the LOR so that you make sure you do not ask for a direct copy?  I've heard of many people doing both of these things, and I'm not sure which is the most appropriate approach to take.  At my university, students who need LORs must go through a school service that is similar to LSDAS (in addition to lsdas, which sucks).  In this service (that costs too!), there's a box that students are encouraged to check to waive their right to see their LOR.

What are your thoughts on the students at l.s.numbers?  Do you think they're just lying?  And are you planning on obtaining a copy of LORS prior to applying, or do you intend to take a different approach?

Gummo

Re: Law School Numbers & LOR's
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 01:41:33 AM »
I didn't request to see one of mine, but the prof asked for such a massive packet of information, I can't see it NOT being excellent.  I think if I had asked her to see it, she would have let me.  I get to write my second one.  Unless you don't really know the recommender, or haven't provided them with info about you, how can a LOR not be excellent?  Maybe I'm missing something about the quality levels of LORs.

Ginatio

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 01:44:59 AM »
I don't know about anyone else, but one of my LORs came from my supervising attorney at an IP firm I've been working at. I didn't actually see what he wrote, but he's made it known to me and other attorneys in the firm on several occasions that he thinks highly of my work. As such, I assumed he gave a really good rec. Plus, I asked his secretary what she thought of what he wrote, and she said it was great.  ;)

My UG doesn't have the same system as yours, but I can't see why you can't get around it. Just use the LSDAS form directly and give it to whoever is writing your recommendation. If they know you well enough, I can't imagine why they wouldn't pull some strings and write the rec. directly.

I'd suggest making sure that you're 100% sure the person you're asking to write your rec. has nothing but good things to say about you. Then there's no worries.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but I've found that a considerable number of people on lawschoolnumbers.com list that they have "Excellent LOR's."

Now my question is, how do they know they have excellent LOR's?  It is my understanding that law schools prefer applicants NOT to see the LOR's they are providing, which makes perfect sense. 

What are your plans?  When you ask for LOR's, are you guys asking for a copy of the LOR so that you can preview it prior to applying?  Are you asking for an outline of the things discussed in the LOR so that you make sure you do not ask for a direct copy?  I've heard of many people doing both of these things, and I'm not sure which is the most appropriate approach to take.  At my university, students who need LORs must go through a school service that is similar to LSDAS (in addition to lsdas, which sucks).  In this service (that costs too!), there's a box that students are encouraged to check to waive their right to see their LOR.

What are your thoughts on the students at l.s.numbers?  Do you think they're just lying?  And are you planning on obtaining a copy of LORS prior to applying, or do you intend to take a different approach?

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 01:46:49 AM »
i think, generally, when people refer to having 'excellent LORs', they mean that they came from a respected person, as opposed to having their next door neighbor write it for them.  it may be a respected professor, a politician, a renouned alum, some head of academia, a lawyer from a top law firm, etc.   i dont think it has anything to do with anyone actually taking a look at the LOR itself and subjectively rating it.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 02:12:53 PM »
A lot of professors throw in "that one line" to show some objectivity.  (is that a word?  :P  My brain is fried..)  A lot of people think that if they don't highlight at least one point that could use some work, the recommendation doesn't mean as much.  I think it's kind of like when they ask you at a job interview what your weaknesses are.  Some professors are just better than others at putting your weakness in a positive light, I guess.