Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: related to the 'pharmacist' debate. Shockingly awful  (Read 438 times)

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
related to the 'pharmacist' debate. Shockingly awful
« on: May 04, 2005, 06:50:43 AM »
Here's the story. Oxford colleges provide free contraception to their students in the way of condoms. They place them in discreet places, in bowls in toilets, behind counters to be handed out by an individual and sometimes send them to people who have requested them in brown envelopes.

Recently, it was discovered that all of these condoms had been discreetly pierced with a pin, making them useless. Many couples (hundreds)  consequently had unprotected sex unwittingly, and exposed themselves to the risk of STDs and preganancy.

How awful is this? So an investigation was launched to find the guilty party.

It transpired that the Christian Union was responsible for this, because it, as a body, is opposed to sex before marriage and to birth control.

This is not a jab against Christians in general at all. I am recounting one incident and a specific group. But I do think it is _terrible_. I would think that no matter which religion or group was responsible. I think it is abominable that people use their moral convictions as an excuse to potentially cause physical and mental harm to others. This is bigoted and selfish and awful. Sorry about the rant! I've just heard this news and it really scares me. I tell you: if it had been me I'd be climbing the walls out of fury and fear.   

LaneSwerver

Re: related to the 'pharmacist' debate. Shockingly awful
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 08:58:11 AM »
Post the article or a link to it, please.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 09:04:42 AM »
Wow...that's insane.  How'd they find out the condems had been tampered with?

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 09:55:15 AM »
*declares shenanigans*
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 10:08:08 AM »
My college supplied free condoms around too (I suppose most do), and I once found one with a visible but small hole through the middle of the wrapper.  I don't know who did it or why, but I know it happens.  Free condoms are great in theory, but I don't think I'd trust one.

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 12:33:55 PM »
Post the article or a link to it, please.

^^^

i'm calling bull.
post-3L

LaneSwerver

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 12:44:00 PM »
I think I get dibs on calling it first.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 12:46:30 PM »
I think I get dibs on calling it first.

we'll have to send this case to arbitration

OK. I win or I break your legs.

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 01:51:50 PM »
I have no idea why you guys think I'd be bullshi**ing on an issue like this - I have never flamed before, and I have no incentive, since some of my best friends are Christians (thought they would never do something like this). Nevertheless, I will try to give you proof. The thing is, the info was sent by the Dean a few days ago in an email (which, like most college mail, I deleted immediately). So someone told me today. There is an article mentioning that someone had threatened to do this which was published in a student newspaper in October. Now it's happened. I'll try to find someone who's kept the email from the Dean and post back. In the meantime,

http://www.cherwell.org/?id=1964&highlight=condoms

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 01:55:10 PM »
I wasn't saying that at all. Just thought it was an interesting story in light of the pharmacist discussion.