Law School Discussion

UMich Employment Stats

DOC

UMich Employment Stats
« on: May 04, 2005, 12:25:27 AM »
can someone who has access to the new full law school rankings tell me what the "%age of grads employed at graduation" and "%age of grads employed 9 months after graduation" is for UMich?...

i've tried to get my hands on the new rankings book...not bc i'm a rankings whore, haha...but because i wanted to look at those kinds of stats for schools...

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: UMich Employment Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 12:27:26 AM »
% @ graduation: 94.1

% @ 9 months: 98.6

DOC

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 12:36:06 AM »
wow...thanks for the quick response...much appreciated.

sorry to be a pain...but do you, or anyone else, also have the stats for the bar passage rate for umich as well as duke?  (i think they both cite the schools' bar passage rates for NY)

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 03:43:29 AM »
I would caution against placing too much weight on the "percent employed" stats in USNews.  This area appears to be heavily manipulated, especially by private schools, which don't have the same reporting requirements as public schools.  (Anyone working at taco bell can be considered technically "employed".) 

As far as bar passagage goes, I think most top schools are up around 90% in New York.  However, this means very little.  No top school is going to focus on black-letter law, and whether or not you pass the bar will basically be up to you and your bar-prep course.  Most top school students are very bright, so few will have trouble passing the bar, wherever they study. 

If you're choosing between these schools, I'd consider focusing on other factors, like personal fit, overall reputation, and ability to place in the specific markets and firms you're personally interested in.  If you're really interested in placement info, I'd check the Leiter and Ciolli studies available in the right-hand corner of JD2b.com.  They show placement in regional markets as well as nationally.