Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I black?  (Read 15206 times)

meeno

Re: Am I black?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 02:32:11 AM »
If you have to ask this question, you know and I know you're NOT...Do you and keep your integrity, you don't want to start a LEGAL career built on a lie...Remember they do background checks to pass the bar. You don't want to be answering the why did you put "African American" on your lawschool app? Be proud to be Arab.

That's the thing though, I am not lying if I believe it to be true, which I somewhat do.  Even within Egypt (southern Egypt in particular) you have blacks, as in truely African.  I mean, where do you draw the line?  African-American to me means you have roots in Africa, which I do.  And btw I am not arab.  Arab=Muslim (which I am not) but my ancestors are the true Egyptians, meaning pharoes, etc.

I don't know, I'm in a difficult position.  One thing that is certain though is that i'm not white.

1lwhit

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 03:59:40 AM »
Can you post a pic...I want to see if you have that "exotic look."

elegantpearl01

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 08:12:14 AM »
You aren't black, you are technically African American (if you have citizenship_, but not black-american.  I think it's intellectually dishonest to say that you are black.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 09:19:34 AM »
That's the thing though, I am not lying if I believe it to be true, which I somewhat do. 

And I can somewhat believe the sky is green, and it doesn't make it true.  I agree with everyone else.  If you have to ask, you're probably not.

faith2005

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 10:17:23 AM »
If you have to ask this question, you know and I know you're NOT...Do you and keep your integrity, you don't want to start a LEGAL career built on a lie...Remember they do background checks to pass the bar. You don't want to be answering the why did you put "African American" on your lawschool app? Be proud to be Arab.

That's the thing though, I am not lying if I believe it to be true, which I somewhat do.  Even within Egypt (southern Egypt in particular) you have blacks, as in truely African.  I mean, where do you draw the line?  African-American to me means you have roots in Africa, which I do.  And btw I am not arab.  Arab=Muslim (which I am not) but my ancestors are the true Egyptians, meaning pharoes, etc.

I don't know, I'm in a difficult position.  One thing that is certain though is that i'm not white.

since when does arab=Muslim? please don't spread misconceptions about this issue on a message board. even if you're Coptic and not Arab (which is a cultural/linguistic group), that does not mean all Arabs are Muslim and the reverse is also extremely far from the truth. if you choose to identify yourself as African American, technically I think its valid, but in my opinion, its based on the fact that the people of Southern Egypt are definitely people of African descent and have experienced discrimination in their home country, as well possibly facing racial discrimination in the U.S. hth

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 10:29:54 AM »

since when does arab=Muslim? please don't spread misconceptions about this issue on a message board. even if you're Coptic and not Arab (which is a cultural/linguistic group), that does not mean all Arabs are Muslim and the reverse is also extremely far from the truth. if you choose to identify yourself as African American, technically I think its valid, but in my opinion, its based on the fact that the people of Southern Egypt are definitely people of African descent and have experienced discrimination in their home country, as well possibly facing racial discrimination in the U.S. hth

Way to check dude on Arab=muslim.  When I saw that I was like, huh!?
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 10:32:57 AM »
Message! ;D
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 10:42:56 AM »
Honestly, no you're not black, you're most likely Arab.  From my understanding, AA was meant to benefit African-Americans (descendants of American slaves), not Africans, West Indians, etc. There has actually been much debate about this topic recently (Africans taking advantage of AA.)

In any event, you're not black.  

What if you are a descendant of a West Indian slave, but migrated to this country, where you now live, and study, and work, and strain under the same weight as someone who was born here?.    What if you came here when you were 18 years old, or 8 years old, or 8 months old?   At what point do you gain enough African Americaness to be able to check that box?  Iím from the West Indies, a straight up reggae-loving, Carnival-going West Indian.  So Iím interested on your take on this.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

faith2005

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 10:44:56 AM »
Where u from again? I didn't catch it the first time  :D

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 11:00:50 AM »