Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I black?  (Read 15339 times)

meeno

Am I black?
« on: May 03, 2005, 11:37:25 PM »
Interesting question.  I am 100% egyptian, which you should know is a country in Africa.  Is it ok to put African American in applications?  Physically, I am not "black" per se but I am pretty dark.

What do you think?

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Am I black?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 11:54:01 PM »
sure.  It's not like the Admissions offices are gonna verify your race.

Alamss

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 11:57:55 PM »
in actuality northern africans are arabs, but hey if it technically works then go for it. If you put down 'Black', which directly means in racial terms rather than 'African' which could to interpreted as a geographic designation, then just be sure not to visit the admissions office before getting your decision...

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 11:59:15 PM »
Hmmm I have some egyptians in my family. What ethnic group are you apart of? Have you identified as African American before? Do you relate to the Arab or African influence of egyptian culture? The fact that you are asking pretty much makes me assume that you are not African American/Black.
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 12:00:16 AM »
in actuality northern africans are arabs, but hey if it technically works then go for it. If you put down 'Black', which directly means in racial terms rather than 'African' which could to interpreted as a geographic designation, then just be sure not to visit the admissions office before getting your decision...

or after getting your decision....

meeno

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 12:00:57 AM »
Hmmm I have some egyptians in my family. What ethnic group are you apart of? Have you identified as African American before? Do you relate to the Arab or African influence of egyptian culture? The fact that you are asking pretty much makes me assume that you are not African American/Black.

Culture is irrelevant I think.  I mean I'm sure there are blacks here who know nothing about their culture.

But I am on the Arab side.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 12:04:03 AM »
I think that you're an International Student.. not Black..
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 12:06:05 AM »
Honestly, no you're not black, you're most likely Arab.  From my understanding, AA was meant to benefit African-Americans (descendants of American slaves), not Africans, West Indians, etc. There has actually been much debate about this topic recently (Africans taking advantage of AA.)

In any event, you're not black.  
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 12:08:38 AM »
Well I had to ask b/c I know Egyptians do distinguish themselves whether they are Arab or "black/African"

I wouldn't mark African American if I were you.
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Made4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • "to boldly go, where no man has gone before"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 02:00:16 AM »
If you have to ask this question, you know and I know you're NOT...Do you and keep your integrity, you don't want to start a LEGAL career built on a lie...Remember they do background checks to pass the bar. You don't want to be answering the why did you put "African American" on your lawschool app? Be proud to be Arab.
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy."