Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My Law Experiences--As Requested by Burning Sands  (Read 18132 times)

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: My Law Experiences--As Requested by Burning Sands
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2005, 10:14:39 PM »
Changing the subject...

I was thinking about a previous post and I was wondering why some most people want to go the corporate route if it seems so awful?

LOANS, fool  ;)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2005, 10:18:04 PM »
i dislike football.. that is all :D
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2005, 10:31:29 PM »
Changing the subject...

I was thinking about a previous post and I was wondering why some most people want to go the corporate route if it seems so awful?

The same reason your ass did a couple of months ago, fool  ;)
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2005, 12:43:17 AM »
Are you rolling your eyes at RBG?
Look to the left -- Look to the right

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2005, 03:05:06 PM »
Racism, that's a different thing.  But it's typically more subtle though my girl had someone comment about her naturally curly hair in an interview. She walked out of the interview, they called to offer her the job and she declined. I haven't had anything that blatant.

I wanted to thank you for the pleathora of information you've dropped on us. My question is about minorities in the work place. How are minoriites, specifically blacks perceived in the legal field. IS there a stigma surrounding black attorneys that they aren't as qualified as their white counter-parts? Have you ever noticed anything blatant?

What is the biggest advantage of working for years at a BIGLAW firm compared to just breaking out and opening up a solo practice? Aside from the comfort of knowing that you are getting a steady paycheck, is it really worth slaving away for a Partner compared to slaving away for yourself?

P.S. I got beef with your alma mater's mock trial team. I hopw Perry Paige Hall collapses on them during practice....cheatin' bastids.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

elegantpearl01

« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2005, 04:24:06 PM »
Well it's hard starting out on your own, getting clients, but in the long run, you'll make more money than working at a firm if you are a hustler. A common thing for folks to do in the criminal/family law arena is to work for the Prosecutor/Public Defender for 3 years then go solo.  Unless you are a big time rain maker at huge huge huge firm, you'll never bring home 500-1M a year. You can do that as a personal injury attorney with the right case(s).  In solo practice, you can have one case that brings you a 70K fee....at a firm, that could be your yearly salary.  But you are right, the comfort of a steady check is what folks like. In solo practice one month you can make 15K, the next month 1,500.

I see alot of subtle racism. I do think that it's easier for white attorneys, they are perceived as being more qualified.  Most black attorneys I see work their tails off and are really tight. There aren't a lot of black attorneys, fewer black partners so its not uncommon to be the only minority at the firm.

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2005, 05:34:30 PM »

Well it's hard starting out on your own, getting clients, but in the long run, you'll make more money than working at a firm if you are a hustler. A common thing for folks to do in the criminal/family law arena is to work for the Prosecutor/Public Defender for 3 years then go solo.  Unless you are a big time rain maker at huge huge huge firm, you'll never bring home 500-1M

How likely is it that you'll bring that much home while working at a firm? (outside of being a partner of course.)

I see alot of subtle racism. I do think that it's easier for white attorneys, they are perceived as being more qualified.  Most black attorneys I see work their tails off and are really tight. There aren't a lot of black attorneys, fewer black partners so its not uncommon to be the only minority at the firm.

So what happens to all the Black attorneys? Do they usually stay at firms or branch out on their own?

University of Law '09

elegantpearl01

« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2005, 05:46:06 PM »
500K at a firm...I have never  heard of any associate bringing that much home...so likelihood of making BIG BIG money without being a shareholder (a partner who owns a share of the firm) you will not bring home seven figures in the legal arena.

I can't call what most black attorneys do (not being funny, just honest)...look at the webpages for these BIG law firms and count the number black associates/partners/shareholders...the numbers are slim. There comes a point in firm life, if you don't make partner, a lot of people leave and go somewhere else. So you have to consider that.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2005, 05:51:34 PM »
hmmm... 500k as an associate.. you have to sleep with a Senior partner who's paying under the table... :-\ :D

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2005, 07:33:39 PM »
What school do *I* go to?

I walk down the same hallowed halls that...

Samuel L. Jackson...
Spike Lee...
HBCU.EDU
Martin Luther King Jr.

have all *sauntered* down...

Madam, the school that I proundly attend is none other then...

500K at a firm...I have never  heard of any associate bringing that much home...so likelihood of making BIG BIG money without being a shareholder (a partner who owns a share of the firm) you will not bring home seven figures in the legal arena.

I can't call what most black attorneys do (not being funny, just honest)...look at the webpages for these BIG law firms and count the number black associates/partners/shareholders...the numbers are slim. There comes a point in firm life, if you don't make partner, a lot of people leave and go somewhere else. So you have to consider that.

What is the tract or path a associate has to take if they are interested in becoming a Partner at their respective firms? Is it only for certain eligible attorneys or are there other factors?

University of Law '09