Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Testmasters PPL: LG BIBLE peole- QUESTION  (Read 557 times)

stbomb15

• View Profile
    • Email
Testmasters PPL: LG BIBLE peole- QUESTION
« on: May 03, 2005, 07:35:53 PM »
Real quick:  I am taking the OCT test...  I am planning on definitely taking the Testmasters course for that Test.

the Class is 2 months away...  What can I do to prepare?

I have already started the LGB bible, will these bibles (LRB also) confuse me for the course?  Does anyone have any firsthand info on this???  You have read them and taken the class? 

I just don't want to be confused with all these different methods/terminology/etc...

gkfad3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Testmasters PPL: LG BIBLE peole- QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 07:53:25 PM »
I'm curious to hear what TM people say as well.

TM's website advocates not learning other methods.  Sure they could confuse you.  They could also raise your initial diagnostic, making your improvement after their course less dramatic.

I'm planning on doing the same thing.  I'm doing self-study from PS books right now.  I'm banking on learning the TM/PS methods first, then just using the course to get subtle things and keep the juices flowing before the test.

stbomb15

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 08:24:43 PM »
I would think that is the smartest thing to do.  Obviously if there are TM hacks on here, they are going to say do not study, they are just worried about how much you go up.

But I want to maximize myself here, and would love to hear some Objective responses on what to do.

toasted

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 09:07:16 PM »
I'm taking Testmasters in the summer too.... and I've been hammering away at the Powerscore Bibles for some time.

I assure you will only benefit from studying the Bibles and familarizing yourself with the concepts.  There's no conflict if you study the Bibles and take TM.  TM just classifies the questions differently, but it's all the same.

williamgazillion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 10:19:14 PM »
I've taken TestMasters, and I'm currently going through the Bible.  Both methods are very close to each other, and the main difference is that PowerScore has better books.

So knock yourself out, go ahead and go through the Bible.

Should you run into any problems during the course, TestMaster tutors are very helpful and they even have a helpline via the telephone.

stbomb15

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 10:50:08 PM »
Sounds good, what are either of you doing for Reading comp?  Anything other than practicing the RC sections?

toasted

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 11:39:59 PM »
Well, I'm focusing on studying RC structures, learning the types of questions and strategies for them, finding the purpose of each paragraph for the entire passage, and practicing actually reading the passages and applying what I know to find both the overall points and specific points of the author.  (Sorry it's late..)

the scientist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 12:23:41 AM »
I am taking OCT LSAT. I am also taking testmasters in the summer. I have just started studying "Novas Master the LSAT". I hope to start LRB & LGB in a week.
I am confused as to where should i look for RC as there is no specific book on that section.
Anyother tip on how to study till my testmaster course starts will be highly appreciated?

Thanks

toasted

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 12:31:17 AM »
remember to avoid doing the fulltests of 22, 23, 30, 36, as these will be your TM diagnostics.

hmm, i'd concentrate on learning the methodology of the LRB thoroughly.  it's not easy to master, unless you study it, memorize it and practice it.  that's what the bible preaches.

do one thing at a time... or else you'll burn yourself out.  with RC, here's what i'd practice:

a.  identify absence/presence of author's tone.  if you sense author's tone, then focus on that to find main point.  if main point is absent, then worry more about the facts.
b.  know the purpose of each paragraph.  draw a mental road map of where the passage is goin.
c.  be familiar with different RC passage structure types, including chronological, general to specific, specific to general, etc.
d.  dont get too bogged down on the details... but again, know where everything is.
e.  practice, practice and practice.  read nova's RC to be familiar with the question types, but that's all they're going to help you with.  in terms of knowing the diff structures and being able to detect the tone, etc, you'll need exposure to RC passages.  start practicing if you have time.  i hear TM doesn't really focus on RC.

g'luck.

stbomb15

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 12:43:00 PM »
Wow, thanks toast for all the info.... 

my plan is to go through the bibles, practice RC sections, and then take the TM course.  Lets hope all goes well.