Law School Discussion

Negatives of switching from PT to FT???

DLAW

• View Profile
Negatives of switching from PT to FT???
« on: May 03, 2005, 03:58:43 PM »
I don't understand why more people don't accept PT programs at better schools (which are substantially easier to get into) and then switch to FT after one year. Its all the same in the end, no?

Re: Negatives of switching from PT to FT???
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 04:11:49 PM »
I agree.  If I could do it all over with the knowledge I have now, I would apply PT to a lot of schools and transfer.  The only harm is that all of your 1L grades will not be given to employers before recruiting in fall, but i heard you just bring your summer transcript with you to interviews and it makes no difference.  Also, during 1L summer, you can still work or do an externship bc most of the classes are still night classes.

I wish i knew all of this and how easy it is to transfer between the two before hand.  Oh well.  Heres to hoping that I still have a shot. 

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 06:27:04 PM »
I would rather go FT. I think most people would rather just concentrate on LS rather than do PT and work or PT and have the free time. However, I did apply PT and plan to switch to FT, but that's only at schools that I wasn't sure I had a good shot at getting in had I applied FT. Plus you do miss out on joining clubs and going to certain events that are at night during classes.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 07:43:51 PM »
I was accepted to a reduced load program.  9 credits first semester, then full-time.  I will still go during the day and am required to go full time after the first semester.  I have also been thinking on this and will do one of two things - 1) get a PT job 15-20 hrs or 2) play lots of poker and hockey.

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 09:03:24 PM »
Interesting topic. 

So you are saying that employers don't frown on this practice? Especially for 1L summer employment? Do they still offer jobs to part time students for summer employment without all 1st year courses?

I actually heard that part-time students have to wait until their 2nd summer in order to get a real summer job. So who is right?

nate

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 10:53:35 PM »
Interesting topic. 

So you are saying that employers don't frown on this practice? Especially for 1L summer employment? Do they still offer jobs to part time students for summer employment without all 1st year courses?

I actually heard that part-time students have to wait until their 2nd summer in order to get a real summer job. So who is right?

I was under the impression that it was near impossible to get an actual, paid summer associateship until the summer after 2L. At least that's how I always understood it, and that was pretty much confirmed for me by the students and staff I met on my recent tour of GW. They basically said the only exceptions to this rule are YHS students and those whose parents are partners in a firm. My point being, those who transfer to FT from PT after 1L are taking classes when other students are doing unpaid internships.

I'm attending GW PT this fall and am transferring to FT after the first semester. I plan to do exactly what a current 1L that I talked with did- study abroad the first summer to make up the credits, then take the actual class I missed during my first semester of 2L. That way, I can do what other students studying abroad do- study for part of the summer and do an unpaid internship during the remainder.

I should be caught up with everyone else by 2L summer, right? Maybe I'm making a huge mistake?? But then again, it was either GW or Loyola Chicago for me, so one semester of PT at GW seemed like the logical choice. I really hope that there aren't too many negative consequences for those of us who transfer to FT.

Butch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 08:50:40 AM »
You don't get those fancy jobs the summer after 1L. Many people find internships or things like that, but they're not the big high paying jobs.  Those jobs come after your 2L, when you are a Summer Associate.  With those, you work for a firm all summer at a rate of $1000-2000 a week and then at the end of the summer they usually hire you - so, you come back to them after your 3L.

However, Summer Associateships are hard to get. Only like the top 10% of the class gets them. Everyone else is left scrambling for a summer job and if they find something, it's usually at a small firm that doesn't pay very well.

The difficult thing about switching from PT to FT is just trying to get back on the normal schedule. In some schools, PT students aren't actually 2L's until like after their 4th semester - whereas FT students are 2L's after their 2nd semester.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 09:51:31 AM »

I'm attending GW PT this fall and am transferring to FT after the first semester. I plan to do exactly what a current 1L that I talked with did- study abroad the first summer to make up the credits, then take the actual class I missed during my first semester of 2L. That way, I can do what other students studying abroad do- study for part of the summer and do an unpaid internship during the remainder.

Nate--

Can you really transfer after the first semester (and not only after the first year) at GW?

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 10:47:53 AM »
Interesting topic. 

I was under the impression that it was near impossible to get an actual, paid summer associateship until the summer after 2L. At least that's how I always understood it, and that was pretty much confirmed for me by the students and staff I met on my recent tour of GW. They basically said the only exceptions to this rule are YHS students and those whose parents are partners in a firm. My point being, those who transfer to FT from PT after 1L are taking classes when other students are doing unpaid internships.

I should be caught up with everyone else by 2L summer, right? Maybe I'm making a huge mistake?? But then again, it was either GW or Loyola Chicago for me, so one semester of PT at GW seemed like the logical choice. I really hope that there aren't too many negative consequences for those of us who transfer to FT.

I was actually seriously contemplating doing the study abroad thing as well. How do you plan to pick up the credits?  Would you be taking law courses by an accredited law school? Or will you be taking language courses?

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 11:13:23 AM »
Yes: at GW you can transfer after the first term.

Also, PT programs are usually only 1 LESS class per term than FT programs. If one switches after the first term, one usually only has 1 or 2 classes to make up, one of which usually must be taken in the summer and if one has to make up another class and did not take it in the summer one could take an extra class the first term of the second year.

In other words, from my perspective, PT programs are really hard if you work full-time.

I plan on doing the PT program at GW, although I am not sure I will transfer into the FT program after the first term or at all.