Law School Discussion

Can law school students take exams on laptops?

Victor

Can law school students take exams on laptops?
« on: June 01, 2004, 05:12:19 PM »
I have sloppy hand writing and I heard that if professors cant read what a student writes on exams they can give that student an "F." So, I wondering do law schools allow students to take exams on a laptop?

kaftex

Re: Can law school students take exams on laptops?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 07:49:17 PM »
Yes.

As retarded as the policy sounds... almost every law school
allows students to take exams on their own laptops.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 07:55:30 PM »
How do they prevent you from using your outlines and other materials?

kaftex

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 08:51:36 PM »
All schools  use one of 3 examination software packages intended
to restrict cheating. However, they're all easily circumvented
by anyone with a sophomoric knowledge of computer science, and
they force students to use MS Windows.

It boils down to the honor system. Take home tests, anyone?

How do they prevent you from using your outlines and other materials?

Todd

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 09:05:55 PM »
Wow! I knew they allowed you take exams on laptops, but figured they provided them to prevent cheating.  To be frank these are potential lawyers we're talking about.  I really don't think they would trust students not to cheat on a test that their entire grade rests on.  As competive as law school is....

sarmstrong806

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 10:26:30 PM »
That may be the case, but, you wouldn't be looking up straight facts, and it would take you much longer to cheat than if you did it straight, you probably wouldn't finish on time.

Plus I'm pretty sure they test your understanding of the law, so you can't just scroll through your notes and find quick answers.

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 06:53:25 AM »
How would you cheat?  Copy and paste from someone else's exam answers?  Assuming you could find a question that was repeated from a previous exam how would you disguise it?

If it were that easy why would law schools make old exams and model answers available? 

What am I missing here?

daynee

• 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 07:06:07 AM »
I don't know about other law schools, but I do know that the University of Richmond requires all students to own laptops and have them loaded with specific programs and configured to their network.

All exams at UR are taken via laptops.  Also, to the best of my knowledge, all exams are open book.  As was previously stated, exams test your understanding of the law and how well you are able to apply what you have learned to a specific legal situation.  If you haven't learned to apply legal principles before the exam, no amount of "open booked-ness" will help you.

Attorneys use research materials all the time to apply the law to their particulat case.  I would think that could be an analogy to having open book exams?

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 07:32:23 AM »
I read that some tests are take home. 

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 07:38:14 AM »
I believe most schools are changing to have exams on laptops. This is mainly due to handwriting. I was talking to a U of Chicago Professor and he mentioned how it makes the WHOLE process so much easier. However, he said they all print out the exams to make reading and grading the exams easier.

And how would you cheat on a Law school exam? It's not like you can look at other people's exams and copy. Also most exams you can have outlines, right?