Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GWU bound thread  (Read 2231 times)

billiardballs1701

• View Profile
GWU bound thread
« on: May 03, 2005, 04:20:01 PM »
for all of you who are GWU-bound, here's a place to chat it up.  And yes, I checked the so-called 'GWU-specific forum' and there's not much goin' on there.  This is where the ACTION is baby.  I figured we could post AIMs and stuff to chat it up.

Who else is headed to GWU?

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GWU bound thread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 08:04:31 PM »
What's up?  GW bound.........
Attending GW in Fall '06

ajumper

• AOL Instant Messenger - jumpergalway
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 11:09:01 AM »
Hey GWU bound,

I am possibly GWU bound and was wondering what your impressions of the school, students, profs, resources etc were?  I received my acceptance less than a week ago and am visiting the school in about a week and a half, the soonest I can make it down there.  Classes are finished and I missed the open days so am trying to gather all information possible.  I am trying to decide between GWU and BC.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rejected by many but.....
In at BC and GWU.
Now what?

Rizz98

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.91/165
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rizz98
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 12:40:01 PM »
Hey guys, GW-bound here too, FT. I'm moving down there in early July & crashing with friends while looking for an apartment.

Ajumper, here are my quick impressions, coming from a couple campus visits and meeting a few current and former students:

School: I personally love the facilities, and the location doesn't get much better. Very Metro-accessible, which allows for you to have a decent commute from anywhere on the orange or blue lines (Arlington/Alexandria, mainly). The fitness center is very nice, there are lots of places around to study, and being a runner, I love that the Mall & Rock Creek Park are both close by. They bring in a lot of great speakers from DC and elsewhere, and there are plenty of law- & university-related extracurriculars.

Students: Very diverse in age, from the older part-timers to the straight out of undergrad full-timers. As with any school, I'm sure you'll have slackers & gunners, but the people that I met gave me the impression that they had plenty of time to get work accomplished, be involved in some extra activities, and also have a good social/family life. Wednesday's free coffee, Thursday's free beer, and that's usually followed by a bar night out.

Profs: I talked to a couple profs and they seemed very down to earth. The class that I sat in on was talk by a pretty enthusiastic & wry professor who seemed pretty well-liked by his students. IP faculty especially is top-notch, and then there are quite a few others, like Banzhaf (if you've seen Supersize Me, you probably know who he is), who are highly respected in their fields as well. 

Resources: You're in DC, one of the legal capitals of the US. GW has a large alumni network, most of which is located in and around the city. If you're IP, the USPTO is close. If you want to hear oral arguments at the Supreme Court, go ahead. If you want to listen to inane arguments from talking heads, well, they film Crossfire on the GW campus, about 3 blocks from the law school.

Hope that helps.
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

thelorax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 02:48:41 PM »
Also headed to GW -- just decided this week.  Don't have much substance to add to the previous post, but the things that made the decision for me were the faculty and the opportunities in DC.  Everyone I know there loves it; I visited expecting not to like it at all and was extremely pleasantly surprised.  See you all in the fall.

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 02:57:04 PM »
Hey guys.  ill be going to gw in the fall as well (unless i somehow get in off the wl at uva).  ive also lived in this area since jr high so if you have any questions, ill try to help you out.  oh, and i also got my m.a. from gw in 2003 so i'm kinda familiar with the school.
i think the biggest diff between gw and bc is the setting.  gw really is right in the middle of everything.  k street, which is where tons of firms have offices, is just a 5-10 min walk away, and the dupont area (10 min walk) is where most of the public interest groups have offices.  this is in addition to the federal opportunities and wb/imf stuff that im sure you've already heard about.
There are no stupid questions - just stupid people who ask questions.
Attending in the fall: GW

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 03:10:01 PM »
I want to go to GW, but they gave me no financial aid. :'(
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 03:29:42 PM »
Yeah, I guess I can add that I can help people if they need help finding a place etc... since I live and work here.
Attending GW in Fall '06

billiardballs1701

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 03:33:38 AM »
Yeah, I guess I can add that I can help people if they need help finding a place etc... since I live and work here.

Hey - well, where would you suggest living in the area?

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 07:10:00 AM »
Northern VA without a doubt.  Look in Rosslyn, Clarendon, Courthouse, and Ballston.  I think my fiance and I are going to end up in Ballston at this point but who knows.  Being on the metro is great but I also warn that you will pay 200 or more a month for that luxury.  If you are willing to take a bus one stop to the pentagon and then take the metro to GW I would recommend shirlington.  I live there now and it is reasonable.  I would stay there but since I am working FT and law school in the evenings I don't want to deal with the bus.
Attending GW in Fall '06