Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have a dream...  (Read 8666 times)

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I have a dream...
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2005, 11:08:21 AM »
Culture =/= neighborhood

That is all.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2005, 11:13:36 AM »
But she does make sense in her answer. NO matter what color you are in Gary, IN you are a product of the same culture, simple as that. Not fair that some people who are black from there get more of a break than the white folkd, when they have to deal with the same garbage that the blacks do. Same thing with people in SW DC, no matter what color the crime ishappening in their eyes. Bullets ARE color blind you know.

Not too many white folks in that part of SW, trust me I've been to "The Capers" and have never seen any light spots in the crowd. I do agree that culture = neighborhood. But as a black person when you move out of that place their are still many hostile environments all over the world that will make you loose your innocence and realize you are apart of a larger picture. And Vinny since you mention SW, have you aver got off at Navy Yard station and walked the wrong way?

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2005, 11:17:37 AM »
Culture =/= neighborhood

That is all.

co-sign.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2005, 11:33:57 AM »
No, I don't think that I have, but I have been on the Green line and there are whites and blacks, etc alike riding it.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2005, 11:35:48 AM »
No, I don't think that I have, but I have been on the Green line and there are whites and blacks, etc alike riding it.

The whites are just passing through. They rarely get off at navy yard, congress hieghts, etc...

psr13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Isn't my niece adorable?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2005, 03:36:16 AM »

Where is all this disadvantage and gripe stuff coming from? This is a completely different argument for AA. I said nothing about disadvantage. Some schools may want people with different cultures because people of different cultures will contribute different opinions and see things from a different perspective.

Culture is not race. I am white. I am from the same culture as many hispanics and Asians are from. There are also a few blacks from this culture.[b] My culture is that of central Garden Grove, CA. [/b] I dod not have different morals, values, and beliefs from people that were of a different color. We pretty much were the same in those categories.

Hilarious.  :D No, seriously..haha

Please explain to me how it is hilarious. I could make it an even narrower definition of what culture I am from if it would please you.
"What's with today, today?"
-Lucas from "Empire Records"

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2005, 09:15:22 AM »

Where is all this disadvantage and gripe stuff coming from? This is a completely different argument for AA. I said nothing about disadvantage. Some schools may want people with different cultures because people of different cultures will contribute different opinions and see things from a different perspective.

Culture is not race. I am white. I am from the same culture as many hispanics and Asians are from. There are also a few blacks from this culture.[b] My culture is that of central Garden Grove, CA. [/b] I dod not have different morals, values, and beliefs from people that were of a different color. We pretty much were the same in those categories.

Hilarious.  :D No, seriously..haha

Please explain to me how it is hilarious. I could make it an even narrower definition of what culture I am from if it would please you.

If you really think that you share the same culture and belief systems of someone because you live in the same neighborhood then I am at a loss for even how to begin to explain this to you.  You might just have to figure this one out on your own.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2005, 09:17:52 AM »
If there are two children growing up next door to each other and always over at each others' house etc how can they NOT be the same culture?
Say one is white and the other hispanic, they share in each others' family outings. These are best friends, and I think that they can safely say they share the same culture, that of America.
That is what is so great about living here, you wouldn't have to worry about people telling you to stay with your own, you CAN check out other rituals, etc.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2005, 09:22:17 AM »
If there are two children growing up next door to each other and always over at each others' house etc how can they NOT be the same culture?
Say one is white and the other hispanic, they share in each others' family outings. These are best friends, and I think that they can safely say they share the same culture, that of America.
That is what is so great about living here, you wouldn't have to worry about people telling you to stay with your own, you CAN check out other rituals, etc.

You should if you have not already, read Obama's memoir. He grew up in Hawaii in a non-black environment, and he is interracial. However that history and the struggle of your ancestors tends to pull on you and eventually you become pulled into it or you will go through an identity crises that will not be healthy and could lead to problems in your psyche because you donít understand who you are and from where you have come. Legacy is an important part of your identity.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2005, 10:14:35 AM »
Well, I can see what you are talking about. I am adopted and my family is still in Greece, I am really starting to want to learn everything I can about them and the Greek life itself. My mom here says that she wants me to give it a rest and I am really not liking that.
But still, wouldn't I have the same culture as the people I grew up around? I did NOT  live in Greece my entire life like the rest of my family, so reading a book on Greece isn't going to make me just as cultured as someone here from Greece, now is it?
THis is why I am sayhing wjhat I have been saying abotu this idea.