Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have a dream...  (Read 8863 times)

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: I have a dream...
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2005, 07:45:17 PM »
I'm still waiting for all those jobs I'm supposedly going to get because I'm a minority.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2005, 02:09:22 PM »
I'm a white male and I thought racism was dead. Then I moved to Chicago for law school, racism is not dead, it's very much alive. I'm sorry to say that racism is both history and a current event. It happens every day. I'm really don't foresee it ending anytime soon.

But that is just general racism. A winning smile, proper etiquette and dress generally overcome this for the individual.

It is not fair, but life is not fair. After all it's not fair that I was born in rich USA and some people were born in Somalia.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2005, 04:40:33 PM »
Hmm, that gives me and idea for a question here. Do you think that people that are genuinely African American (ie came here from being born in Africa) should be able to take advantage of AA? Their ancestors weren't slaves HERE. I am just saying.

ThePerfectSoldier

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SuzukiAkira138
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2005, 08:35:10 PM »
Yes.  Any more questions?

psr13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Isn't my niece adorable?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2005, 05:08:50 AM »

Where is all this disadvantage and gripe stuff coming from? This is a completely different argument for AA. I said nothing about disadvantage. Some schools may want people with different cultures because people of different cultures will contribute different opinions and see things from a different perspective.

Culture is not race. I am white. I am from the same culture as many hispanics and Asians are from. There are also a few blacks from this culture. My culture is that of central Garden Grove, CA. I dod not have different morals, values, and beliefs from people that were of a different color. We pretty much were the same in those categories.
"What's with today, today?"
-Lucas from "Empire Records"

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2005, 08:38:00 AM »
I meant for the question to be discussed. Simply saying yes means nothing.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2005, 08:45:57 AM »
Hmm, that gives me and idea for a question here. Do you think that people that are genuinely African American (ie came here from being born in Africa) should be able to take advantage of AA? Their ancestors weren't slaves HERE. I am just saying.

My ancestors were not enslaved here but by the British in Jamaica, but I still want my 40 acres. Let's not forget about all those Louisiana folks who were enslaved by the French. No matter where you are, if you are of African dissent you are a product of slavery and or harsh colonialism. Just to give a little history.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2005, 09:08:48 AM »

Where is all this disadvantage and gripe stuff coming from? This is a completely different argument for AA. I said nothing about disadvantage. Some schools may want people with different cultures because people of different cultures will contribute different opinions and see things from a different perspective.

Culture is not race. I am white. I am from the same culture as many hispanics and Asians are from. There are also a few blacks from this culture.[b] My culture is that of central Garden Grove, CA. [/b] I dod not have different morals, values, and beliefs from people that were of a different color. We pretty much were the same in those categories.

Hilarious.  :D No, seriously..haha
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2005, 11:03:50 AM »
But she does make sense in her answer. NO matter what color you are in Gary, IN you are a product of the same culture, simple as that. Not fair that some people who are black from there get more of a break than the white folkd, when they have to deal with the same garbage that the blacks do. Same thing with people in SW DC, no matter what color the crime ishappening in their eyes. Bullets ARE color blind you know.

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2005, 11:07:55 AM »
Vinny .... life isn't fair....deal