Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have a dream...  (Read 8861 times)

LaneSwerver

Re: I have a dream...
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 09:31:48 AM »
for that, we have "reverse" plague prevention.

You mean kill rats before they start?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 12:15:59 PM »
well, discriminate against them, anyway.  no need to be extreme.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 12:16:43 PM »
well, discriminate against them, anyway.  no need to be extreme.

Some rats are cute. They have little pink eyes and little pink noses. Do we have to kill the little pink-eyed ones, too?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 01:16:59 PM »
no.  we need at least few republicans around.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 01:24:28 PM »
no.  we need at least few republicans around.

Yes, and you pinkos, as well.  ;)

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 01:27:19 PM »
Orright, this was a funny thread  :D

Lane and Julie, you guys are crazy....haha
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

LaneSwerver

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2005, 01:27:58 PM »
Orright, this was a funny thread  :D

Lane and Julie, you guys are crazy....haha

Certifiable. Don't tell the warden I'm out.

VeniceJazz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 01:54:15 PM »
You know, I had always been for affirmative action, but having read Braveheart's insightful post, I have changed my mind! Affirmative action as reverse racism? I've never heard anyone make such a shocking claim!
We, who are planning on becoming lawyers, should not make jokes about rats. They are our brothers!

Faure

• Sr. Citizen
  • Meow
    • AOL Instant Messenger - leoninshikari
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Faure_Fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2005, 04:56:11 PM »
I am not interested in reading the 1000+ topics below mine, for I am sure many of them read exactly the same way--one person expresses support/opposition regarding affirmative action/quotas and the other side responds.  I don't care for bickering or fighting.

This is America, however, and I will speak my mind.

Affirmative action and quotas, both in job placement and admissions to school, are racist.  The practice should be done away with immediately.  So you're telling me we're going to solve the problem caused by 200 years of racism by having the government institute a new policy of reverse racism?  Does anyone really think this is the best way to heal the wounds of the past?  I have a dream--a dream in which my children are judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character and application.  A color-blind society is the only way to achieve this.  Reverse racism does not work; it only causes further division.

rac·ism   
1.  The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2.  Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Braveheart, how would you empower poor minorities if not through AA. Does anyone have a solution that they think is better than AA?

jwilcox1024

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2005, 11:20:38 AM »
I am not interested in reading the 1000+ topics below mine, for I am sure many of them read exactly the same way--one person expresses support/opposition regarding affirmative action/quotas and the other side responds.  I don't care for bickering or fighting.

This is America, however, and I will speak my mind.

Affirmative action and quotas, both in job placement and admissions to school, are racist.  The practice should be done away with immediately.  So you're telling me we're going to solve the problem caused by 200 years of racism by having the government institute a new policy of reverse racism?  Does anyone really think this is the best way to heal the wounds of the past?  I have a dream--a dream in which my children are judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character and application.  A color-blind society is the only way to achieve this.  Reverse racism does not work; it only causes further division.

rac·ism   
1.  The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2.  Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Braveheart, how would you empower poor minorities if not through AA. Does anyone have a solution that they think is better than AA?

My solution would be to base admission and hiring preferences on socio-economic rather than race-based criteria. It seems to address the concern that minorities are in a disadvantaged position by helping those in a disadvantaged position as well as helping other disadvantaged groups such as white males from families with no high school graduates. I also believe it makes it more likely that only those who really need the advantage receive it.
Goal: Penn, NYU, Duke, Michigan, Northwestern, Chicago
Pad Save: Columbia
Glove Save: Stanford

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jwilcox1024