Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Work-Study in Law School?  (Read 2459 times)

DunkinsFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Work-Study in Law School?
« on: May 03, 2005, 02:38:47 PM »
Hey all-

I'm applying next cycle, but I've started thinking about financial aid- related stuff already, and I'm curious about the prevalence of work-study positions in law school.  It seems pretty common for 2L's and 3L's to do research for professors or work similar jobs 15-20 hrs a week.  Does anyone know if these positions generally funded by federal work-study funds?  I know that most on-campus jobs were in undergrad, and so they weren't available to students who didn't show financial need.  No big deal- there were always other jobs available for those who want them, but in law/grad school the campus jobs don't seem to just be envelope stuffing/dish-washing jobs, but positions that actually give you relevant experience toward your career.  It would seem pretty unfair, at least IMO, to treat those positions as a form of educational welfare and not give them out on a competitive basis.

The reason I'm curious about this is that I know that for undergrad my family's EFC was quite high, and I didn't qualify for any work-study positions.  I'm sure the situation will be quite different this time around, since I will have been financially independent for 3 years, but I'm still not completely sure whether I'd qualify for work-study.  Does anyone know how to get a rough idea of what income/asset levels qualify someone?  If a student doesn't qualify and they'd really like to research for a professor and the professor wants to hire them, would they have to work for free?

Any info would be greatly appreciated-- this stuff is pretty new to me since I only had a very modest scholarship in undergrad and didn't take out any loans. 

Thanks!

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Work-Study in Law School?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 07:33:24 PM »
Syracuse awarded me $1200 an semester in work-study in my financial aid package.  I thought this was strange.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 02:14:59 AM »
Georgetown offered $1500-1700(I forget which)/semester in work study. For 1L, this seems strange.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

DunkinsFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 12:42:38 PM »
Interesting.  That does seem strange for a 1L... I wonder what positions you would be able to take to access the funds?  Do profs hire on 1Ls for research?

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 06:31:42 PM »
I am guessing library/administrative stuff.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

thechoson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 06:42:37 PM »
Yeah, USD offered me $4000/year to do random library stuff or work in the office.

i got this too, i told them to shove it